Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

2 bottles of Dom loaded for 11h45m flight?!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2018, 9:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: EK Plat

I admit that I recently accused @m3red of first world problems. Perhaps this is karma. And no doubt this story will deservedly cue the sounds from some very small violins.

After 40 minutes into an 11 hour 45 minute flight inbound to Dubai, there was no more Dom. It turns out they only had two bottles loaded.

Now the purser, perhaps sensing a dangerous dip in my BAC, apologised profusely for the rest of the flight suggesting that Paul Gascoine was on the outbound flight. Or at least words to that effect.

I have no way of knowing how many passengers were on the outbound flight. Perhaps Gazza really has fallen off the wagon. What I do know is that there were 6 revenue passengers in F (eventually 7 if you include the person who upgraded onboard) and from the load details EK were fully aware of this at T-72.

Has this ever happened to anyone? I have flown over 230 flights with EK in the last 5 years (a sobering statistic in itself) and this has never happened.

Last edited by Lkaroo; Jan 25, 2018 at 9:45 pm
Old Jan 25, 2018, 10:13 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by Lkaroo
I admit that I recently accused @m3red of first world problems. Perhaps this is karma. And no doubt this story will deservedly cue the sounds from some very small violins.

After 40 minutes into an 11 hour 45 minute flight inbound to Dubai, there was no more Dom. It turns out they only had two bottles loaded.

Now the purser, perhaps sensing a dangerous dip in my BAC, apologised profusely for the rest of the flight suggesting that Paul Gascoine was on the outbound flight. Or at least words to that effect.

I have no way of knowing how many passengers were on the outbound flight. Perhaps Gazza really has fallen off the wagon. What I do know is that there were 6 revenue passengers in F (eventually 7 if you include the person who upgraded onboard) and from the load details EK were fully aware of this at T-72.

Has this ever happened to anyone? I have flown over 230 flights with EK in the last 5 years (a sobering statistic in itself) and this has never happened.
yes happens a lot!

Old Jan 25, 2018, 10:38 pm

Crap this violin is too small to even play
Old Jan 25, 2018, 10:51 pm

What route?

if ek17 Dxb man has 14 blokes travelling back from business trips it goes very quickly!
Old Jan 26, 2018, 12:30 am

Programs: BA Exec Gold , Qatar Priviledge Club Plat
Originally Posted by JumboJet
Crap this violin is too small to even play
This is no laughing matter ...
Old Jan 26, 2018, 1:21 am

Programs: EK Platinum, BA/SQ Gold, HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriott Platinum
Seen this before a few times especially when it was the Rose Champagne which I loved...
These days I try to secure the Vodka bottle or when it runs out in J bar I suggest the unopened bottle at the front should be swapped around.
Old Jan 28, 2018, 5:19 pm

Programs: UA Gold, EK Silver, HH Gold, MR Gold
I had the complete opposite on a recent flight where the Veuve Clicquot ran out in J and they offered DP!
thijsseh, sydtogla and danbnash like this.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 3:05 am

Programs: EK G̶o̶l̶d̶ S̶i̶l̶v̶e̶r̶ 'boarding zone F', IHG
As a Plat flying in a premium cabin (you didn't specify J or F...), perhaps a 'customer feedback' email could get you some miles to compensate for the truly horrible inconvenience - who knows, if you ask nicely/firmly enough, maybe even a bottle in the post?
AS
Old Jan 29, 2018, 3:55 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
They were incredibly apologetic when on the ground in CPT Dom could not be offered. I volunteered to have the Verve from J instead (and changed to Dom after takeoff).
Old Jan 29, 2018, 7:32 am

Programs: AF/KL BA GF EK EY LH QR
Originally Posted by thijsseh
They were incredibly apologetic when on the ground in CPT Dom could not be offered.
Customs/tax reason?
Old Jan 29, 2018, 8:29 am

Originally Posted by XXTSGR
Customs/tax reason?
so inconsistently applied
Old Jan 29, 2018, 9:50 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Originally Posted by XXTSGR
Customs/tax reason?
Yas, I believe so. The ‘alcohol tax’ seems to be charged on the value rather than the ‘type of drink’ (spirits / wine / beer) which would be a more usual approach.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 12:07 pm

Programs: AF/KL BA GF EK EY LH QR
Originally Posted by thijsseh

Yas, I believe so. The ‘alcohol tax’ seems to be charged on the value rather than the ‘type of drink’ (spirits / wine / beer) which would be a more usual approach.
Thanks! Interesting, I knew that this was an isssue e.g. in the US and Germany but hadn't been aware of SA falling into this category as well.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 3:10 pm

Programs: EK Gold, A3 *G, AB Gold, Jetblue Mosaic
Originally Posted by m3red

so inconsistently applied
Do you mean as applied to specific outstations?
Old Jan 29, 2018, 8:17 pm

Originally Posted by kq747
Do you mean as applied to specific outstations?
yes - I’ve had dom on the ground in the uk then other times not - the same as other stations

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.