Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

I know its a first world problem, but how can I stop this happening?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2018, 10:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold

Ok, as the title says.... But I am officially annoyed.

I flew back in F from PVG in May and GRU last week and on both occasions they have run out of Grand Siecle rather quickly after take off. I have taken 4 return trips in F this year and they have run out on 2 occasions I make this a 50% failure rate and unacceptable. This is along with no claret and rose fizz.

I am flying back from PVG on New Years eve on a day flight and I would dearly love to enjoy a glass or two with wifey and 2 other friends in the cabin, what worries me is that the people celebrating on the way out will have drunk the 'return flights share'. Would it be worth writing to someone higher up the food chain (Carolina Martinoli)? In the hope that this stops happening or do the knowledgable amongst you think I am wasting paper and ink?

On the ex PVG flight the FSM filled in a complaint form and I get some random reply not answering the complaint. On the latest flight the CSD filled in a report and I received 6500 Avios, but I have heard nothing from CS.

Don't get me wrong, I am not after special favours I just want to try and get what is part of the First offering without being told "sorry its all gone".

Is this a common problem running out of GS or have I just been unlucky?

Thanks.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 10:12 am
Suspended

“Sorry it has all gone” saves them money and improves shareholder value. It’s a hard nosed business and it probably won’t change.
RollAnotherFatOne likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 10:15 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
There is nothing you can do. BA is beyond unlikely to change either the return catering or limit the use of return-catered items on the outbound as this is a problem for all manner of catered items in all classes.

Thus, I would enjoy the trip, not expect anything different than on previous flights and be pleasantly surprised if anything different occurs.

Do not for a minute think that BA has not thought this through. Rather, it has come to the conclusion that its current practice is just fine. For ULH flights, every extra spoon affects the weight - fuel - distance formula.
mike&co likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 10:18 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, BA GGL
Originally Posted by antipest

On the ex PVG flight the FSM filled in a complaint form and I get some random reply not answering the complaint. On the latest flight the CSD filled in a report and I received 6500 Avios, but I have heard nothing from CS.

You are lucky I had the same issue and got nothing! I do find it very cheap that they do this but its not going to change......
Old Dec 6, 2018, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob

I flew back in F from PVG in May and GRU last week and on both occasions they have run out of Grand Siecle rather quickly after take off. I have taken 4 return trips in F this year and they have run out on 2 occasions I make this a 50% failure rate and unacceptable. This is along with no claret and rose fizz.

I am flying back from PVG on New Years eve on a day flight and I would dearly love to enjoy a glass or two with wifey and 2 other friends in the cabin, what worries me is that the people celebrating on the way out will have drunk the 'return flights share'. Would it be worth writing to someone higher up the food chain (Carolina Martinoli)? In the hope that this stops happening or do the knowledgable amongst you think I am wasting paper and ink?

Don't get me wrong, I am not after special favours I just want to try and get what is part of the First offering without being told "sorry its all gone".

Is this a common problem running out of GS or have I just been unlucky?

Thanks.
It seems to be a fairly common complaint.
So it's not just the flights from Vegas [that use most of the champagne outbound]
No champagne before takeoff
Not enough Tanqueray
Old Dec 6, 2018, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
There is nothing you can do other than not worrying about it.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 10:43 am

Programs: OW Emerald (BA), UA*G, Marriott Plat, IC RA, Various others
You could always buy a bottle or two at duty free, and if they run out on board, ask the crew to chill your bottles down and serve it just to you. And if they don't run out, you have some fizz for a later date at home! It stops your worrying, no?
Old Dec 6, 2018, 10:48 am

Programs: BA GGL for a little while longer
Originally Posted by AndyFlyer
You could always buy a bottle or two at duty free, and if they run out on board, ask the crew to chill your bottles down and serve it just to you. And if they don't run out, you have some fizz for a later date at home! It stops your worrying, no?
So BOB becomes BYOB .... in F - you really couldn't make it up

P.S. appreciate your post is probably tongue in cheek, but still...
AndyFlyer, DVT, Sealink and 8 others like this.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 11:22 am

Programs: Qatar, Turkish, Aeroflot
*huge facepalm*
Old Dec 6, 2018, 11:26 am

Drink faster, or ask for your first glass to be in a tumbler or coffee mug. (Like the other passengers)
Lizie likes this.

Last edited by muscat; Dec 6, 2018 at 11:27 am Reason: Addition
Old Dec 6, 2018, 12:24 pm

That last 4 flights in F for me have been a FWPD (First World Problem Disappointment) as far as our choice of "fizz" is concerned.

I live in the Camel Valley and on every single of those F flights we have had a wine menu with Camel Valley Sparkling on. We both love it (it's less than £30) and we both prefer it to LPGS. On all occasions they have only loaded 1 bottle. I think that is very poor. To list a wine on a menu in F and only have 1 bottle isn't F by anyone's standards.

I feel your pain, if not your taste buds.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
There is nothing you can do.
Vote with your wallet/feet. Fly a different carrier.
mrow, zarkov505, rickg523 and 1 others like this.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 12:39 pm

Programs: BA GfL, Marriott PlatfL/Ambassador, TP Gold, IHG Spire
Buy a bottle of LPGS or equivalent at duty free.
If they don't run out, you get to take the bottle home.
If they run out, ask the crew to open your bottle(s).
Send the bill to BA, which I'm sure they'll pay.
if they don't, claim it via Small Claims Court.

​​​​​​
Old Dec 6, 2018, 12:42 pm

Programs: HiltonH. Gold Starwood Gold BA BLUES! Mucci.

Look for alternatives for the return sector?
Old Dec 6, 2018, 12:42 pm

Would it be worth writing to someone higher up the food chain (Carolina Martinoli)? In the hope that this stops happening or do the knowledgable amongst you think I am wasting paper and ink?
Good sense of humour I must say....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.