Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Heathrow Third Runway Approved by Parliament

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Heathrow Third Runway Approved by Parliament

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2018, 1:41 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Calum
When did London become ‘one of the worlds top cities’??
Ever since the industrial revolution and remains so by any measure you could care to choose.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_city
Old Jun 25, 2018, 2:19 pm

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Originally Posted by Prospero
i thoroughly recommend “Aerotropolis: The Way We'll Live Next” by Greg Lindsay and John D. Kasarda. This book provides a fascinating insight into how “world cities” have developed during the 20th/21st centuries and the contribution their airports have had towards building GDPs the size of nation states. For example, did you know that Heathrow’s immediate hinterland has a GDP greater than Sydney
Thanks, I will look out for that, just out of curiosity what do they define as the immediate hinterland as?
Old Jun 25, 2018, 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by Camflyer
Ever since the industrial revolution and remains so by any measure you could care to choose.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_city
Although I discontinued the subject for the sake of the thread, I'll add another wikipedia link for the keyboard worriers. London # 41
Old Jun 25, 2018, 3:04 pm

Argument in the HoC debate: Flights between LHR and NQY...
Old Jun 25, 2018, 3:09 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

For those not watching BBC Parliament, the declaration of today’s vote is expected at 1015 pm
TPRun likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 3:13 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Calum
Although I discontinued the subject for the sake of the thread, I'll add another wikipedia link for the keyboard worriers. London # 41
So presumably you don't consider either New York or Tokyo to be among the world's top cities. We sometimes start digging, but it doesn't mean we have to continue.
Oaxaca and rockflyertalk like this.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Given that the 2 no tellers are already standing in front of the dispatch box table for the last few minutes (the doors to the lobbies having being locked and no one allowed to enter) the Ayes have won with a significant margin.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

415 to 119

(it did sound like 190 when the teller announced ot)

Last edited by UKtravelbear; Jun 25, 2018 at 3:21 pm
Old Jun 25, 2018, 3:17 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Ayes to the right 415, noes to the left 119. Heathrow expansion has passed
Old Jun 25, 2018, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

during the debate parts that I watched there was very little confidence in HAL and that they would be able to manage the project let alone fund it - several references to the paying out more in dividends than they made in profits and the small amount of tax they pay.

HAL will really have to up it's game!
Old Jun 25, 2018, 3:44 pm

I wonder if this thread will still be going for the opening in what, 20 years time...
Old Jun 25, 2018, 3:56 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

As a supporter of the 3rd runway I do hope we as a country can actually get with on building asap it in what would be a huge economic boost for the long term. Too many politicians acting in their own self interests rather than the UK as a whole. Great day and my prediction is for it to be up and running by 2027/28.

Of course there are land issues with a human cost and environmental issues amongst other factors but I believe as a whole this is a very good thing for the UK.
rockflyertalk and omk298 like this.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by Worcester
Thanks, I will look out for that, just out of curiosity what do they define as the immediate hinterland as?
It is an assessment of the economic activity directly linked to Heathrow’s location. In simple terms, this is demonstrated by decisions taken by large multinational corporations to site their HQs within striking distance of LHR such as Vodafone in Newbury, Toyota in Epsom, McLaren in Woking, GSK in Brentford to name but a few
Old Jun 25, 2018, 4:09 pm

Programs: BAEC Blue, Flying Blue Silver, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold
It is an assessment of the economic activity directly linked to Heathrow’s location. In simple terms, this is demonstrated by decisions taken by large multinational corporations to site their HQs within striking distance of LHR such as Vodafone in Newbury, Toyota in Epsom, McLaren in Woking, GSK in Brentford to name but a few
Isn't Sega just over from GSK? They're not on the same scale though as the latter though.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 4:10 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Platinum
Excellent news. This is not the end, but it's a very important step forward in a very, very long story - and only about 20 years late.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.