Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Heathrow Third Runway Approved by Parliament

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Heathrow Third Runway Approved by Parliament

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2018, 12:46 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Give that it took nearly 30 years for T5 to wind it's way through planning permission and construction, I wonder if a third runway will be in service before 2050?
TravellingSalesman likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 1:32 pm

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
By my previous estimate, you could make the runway out of 5mm of solid gold for the current cost estimated cost of the new runway but Grayling seemed to suggest public funds would be used to compensate locals. Since when should public funds be used to buy a private company (not just that a private foreign company and one which puts the odious Mohamed "Woman can't run big scary companies" Al Baker on the board) a huge new asset? It's not like they will be paying corporation tax in the UK?
SW7London and Kgmm77 like this.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 1:54 pm
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Originally Posted by MPH1980
Great - let's do it at an airport in the UK which isn't the busiest and where an error could lead to tens of thousands being delayed.

Why not build that at Birmingham maybe ... or Manchester?
Re-read the first sentence of the second paragraph of my post. The "error" factor is the same as any existing runway. Then re-read the second sentence of my second paragraph and note that the proposed separation distance is enough to allow for all possibilities. Got it now?
Old Jun 5, 2018, 1:58 pm
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Originally Posted by KARFA
indeed. Let’s not try out the crazy ideas at the busiest airport first. Wonder why no one else has tried it yet if it’s such a great idea?
Crazy idea? It has already been assessed as completely viable from a safety perspective and would create even more capacity than just a normal length runway.

You really think it would have even been proposed if it was either unsafe or crazy? Seriously?
Old Jun 5, 2018, 2:03 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by BOH
Crazy idea? It has already been assessed as completely viable from a safety perspective and would create even more capacity than just a normal length runway.

You really think it would have even been proposed if it was either unsafe or crazy? Seriously?
thats not correct. The northwest runway gives significantly more additional capacity than the end on end proposal. I suggest you read the airports commission report. As I noted, all on the commission came down in favour of the HAL option.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 2:13 pm
Suspended

this is years and years and years away we will all be retired by then BUT it is needed
Old Jun 5, 2018, 2:30 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by KARFA

thats not correct. The northwest runway gives significantly more additional capacity than the end on end proposal. I suggest you read the airports commission report. As I noted, all on the commission came down in favour of the HAL option.

The huge advantage of the Heathrow Hub runway proposal is of course that, at 7 km long, it would enough for a Skylon spaceplane to take-off from ... could operate at night when there is a curfew on normal aeroplanes.
memesweeper likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 2:45 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by BOH

Safety matters aside, the Heathrow Hub's Achilles' Heel is reduced noise respite due to limited runway alternation.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 4:37 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Originally Posted by Deltus
Maybe BA can buy some of those knackered SQ A380s,?
No-one wants them. Two of them are being parted out and two more might well go the same way: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-a...-idUSKCN1J10R2
Old Jun 5, 2018, 9:12 pm

Programs: Status with BA Exec Club; KrisFlyer; Hilton Honors; IHG One; Marriott Bonvoy
Originally Posted by TedToToe
Safety matters aside, the Heathrow Hub's Achilles' Heel is reduced noise respite due to limited runway alternation.
The noise impact is a swings/roundabouts thing. A new third runway will create flight paths over areas which today have little problem with aircraft noise. The extended runway would put a good dollop of the increased noise over the airport itself — from their website:

As many as 260,000 additional slots could become available by extending the runway, enabling alternate approaches, respite periods for local communities and an opportunity to reduce night quota flights. Crucially, during the critical early morning period, arriving aircraft could land 2.5 miles further west on the new runway extension, moving the entire noise footprint and reducing sleep disturbance for many West London residents.
I wouldn’t call this ‘good’ but ‘less bad’ springs to mind.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 11:57 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by BOH

Have you read this report that claims to prove the Hub proposal is safer than the 3rd parallel runway?

Not getting at you, but I’ve requested a copy numerous times from the Hub organisation and have never heard back, despite them continually claiming the safety benefits on Twitter.
Jimmie76 and Jumbodriver like this.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 12:32 am

Location: Manchester but from Yorkshire better known as Gods country
Programs: BA Gold, , Sandals plat
Originally Posted by itsmeitisss
Personally I don't see why it had to be a decision between LHR and LGW. I think both should have expanded. 1 extra runway is nothing more than a plaster fix to a wound. It will slow the flow, but eventually more will be needed.
Totally agree should be building two extra runways at LHR and one further a LGW and also should be planning infrastructure to improve links between these two hubs plus from the Midlands and North of England and not waiting until capacity is breached again. Infrastructure planning in Uk has been abysmal for last forty years
Old Jun 6, 2018, 2:55 am

Originally Posted by roarss
Do we really need >37 flights per day between LHR and say, DUB (EI/BA Wednesday, 18 EI, 19 BA) often multiple flights minutes apart, using small A319/A320/737?

There needs to be better joint up thinking...
I would agree with the second part of your post - the UK is woeful at long-term, joined up, integrated transport planning. When good ideas do come along, they often end up bogged down in an quagmire of inquiries, challenges, and repeated short-term politicking.

Back to the specific issue of the third runway, and following on from the above: why hasn't this been considered as part of much wider infrastructure investment?

Specifically: a proper connection to HS2 from Heathrow, and an accelerated programme to see the full length of HS2 completed far sooner (and supplementary sections of high speed rail elsewhere). This, plus through-ticketing/code-sharing, would allow a significant proportion of domestic flights - at least MAN/LBA, and some NCL/EDI/GLA - to be withdrawn in favour of direct high speed rail links. In turn, this would free up slots - on the existing runway, and/or on any new runways - for long haul destinations and to allow better spacing of flights for increased reliability even in inclement weather.

IIRC, Eurostar takes 75% of the London-Paris air/rail market. Paris-Brussels on Thalys is 1h25 or so. With HS2 Manchester (Airport/Piccadilly) will only be about 1h10 from London - and even NCL will be 2h20, without further high speed rail construction, which is just about competitive. This also opens up the chance for 'flights' to places like Liverpool, York, etc.

Yet instead, I saw something on the news about a certain proportion of the new runway capacity being reserved for domestic flights (no doubt as a way for securing domestic political buy-in from around the country)… which seems like a bit of a wasteful strategy, given that with a decent HSR network, most of England could be within 90 minutes by direct train of LHR.
David_Doyle likes this.

Last edited by squawk; Jun 6, 2018 at 3:02 am
Old Jun 6, 2018, 3:14 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Bronze, Hilton Diamond, Virgin Flying Club Red
Originally Posted by squawk
Specifically: a proper connection to HS2 from Heathrow, and an accelerated programme to see the full length of HS2 completed far sooner (and supplementary sections of high speed rail elsewhere). This, plus through-ticketing/code-sharing, would allow a significant proportion of domestic flights - at least MAN/LBA, and some NCL/EDI/GLA - to be withdrawn in favour of direct high speed rail links. In turn, this would free up slots - on the existing runway, and/or on any new runways - for long haul destinations and to allow better spacing of flights for increased reliability even in inclement weather.

Yet instead, I saw something on the news about a certain proportion of the new runway capacity being reserved for domestic flights (no doubt as a way for securing domestic political buy-in from around the country)… which seems like a bit of a wasteful strategy, given that with a decent HSR network, most of England could be within 90 minutes by direct train of LHR.
Completely, 100% agree with this. The runway should come with a ban flights on certain routes (MAN, LBA in particular), coming in to effect once HS rail is open.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 3:44 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, UA2MM, QF Platinum, VA Platinum., Volare Executive Club
Originally Posted by PJSMITH0

...........should be building two extra runways at LHR and one further a LGW...........

Infrastructure planning in Uk has been abysmal for last forty years
Shouldn't be building any new runways at LHR, what about the impact on local residents?

Perhaps a couple more at LGW, or, more sensibly, a new airport on the green belt. How about some new thinking?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.