Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Heathrow Third Runway Approved by Parliament

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Heathrow Third Runway Approved by Parliament

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2023, 3:06 am

Originally Posted by Ldnn1
The thing with major expensive transport projects is that they need to be ‘transformative’. Crossrail might be massively late and over budget but it was immediately transformative of the transport landscape here.You can see that by just how quickly it’s become full.

HS2, in its current guise, simply isn’t. It’s merely going to make getting from London to Birmingham and Manchester a bit faster. There’s no real extra connectivity, no transformation of train travel to Scotland, no airport spur (although tbf the OOK connection will be more useful than it sounds). For the money we’re paying, it’s not delivering a lot.

Whether the spur would’ve been worth it I can’t say but looking at the whole picture, it’s very hard to get excited about HS2.
Agree. My criticism of Crossrail is 'just' about the project delivery, but there's no denying that it's been transformational, even if there's no LCY airport stop. HS2, on the other hand, feels like it's losing value by the day.
Old Jul 20, 2023, 4:27 am

Originally Posted by Ldnn1
The thing with major expensive transport projects is that they need to be ‘transformative’. Crossrail might be massively late and over budget but it was immediately transformative of the transport landscape here.You can see that by just how quickly it’s become full.

HS2, in its current guise, simply isn’t. It’s merely going to make getting from London to Birmingham and Manchester a bit faster. There’s no real extra connectivity, no transformation of train travel to Scotland, no airport spur (although tbf the OOK connection will be more useful than it sounds). For the money we’re paying, it’s not delivering a lot.

Whether the spur would’ve been worth it I can’t say but looking at the whole picture, it’s very hard to get excited about HS2.
And the problem with transformative projects is that the transformative aspect is extremely hard to quantify, especially ahead of time. HS2 still has the potential to be but it could have been much more and it could have helped with the LHR capacity problems.
Old Jul 21, 2023, 9:22 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Originally Posted by Jagboi
Isn't it interesting though that KLM serve nearly twice as many UK cities as BA does? Maybe AMS is the de-facto third runway?
Except with the caps on capacity at AMS, it looks like there will be fewer in the future...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.