Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Heathrow Third Runway Approved by Parliament

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Heathrow Third Runway Approved by Parliament

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2019, 1:06 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Chairman, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
I'm based in TLV and often fly to North America, other points in Europe and Asia and find that the passenger taxes at Heathrow keep me away from flying BA. I'd generally be happy to spend a layover in London for a few days but the high taxes at LHR for layovers of more than 24 hours usually mean that I end up flying another carrier. It's foolish as I'd be injecting more than that amount into the local economy with shopping, hotel, food etc.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by Raffles
It is worth noting that Virgin Atlantic is in the process of lauching a major campaign to block BA's expansion with the 3rd runway. I was chatting to Shai Weiss about it a few weeks ago, and he already started dropping it in to every interview and speech he gives. At present, BA believes it is legally entitled to 50% of the new slots that will be created, which will simply mean BA closing Gatwick and moving everything across. Virgin believes there should be a different method of allocation.
This is incorrect. The current slot allocation rules mean that new entrants will have access to 50% of the new slots, and the remaining 50% are allocated to incumbants based on their share. BA is currently around 50%, so 50% of 50% would be 25% of the new slots.

There is an argument that all incumbants at Heathrow are getting a bit of a bad deal, as they will be pre-funding a lot of the expansion whilst it is being built, only for new entrants to then benefit when it opens.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 3:06 pm

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
Originally Posted by 13901

Now I understand the frustrations but this is way incorrect.

“Monopoly”, “Stranglehold”... have you ever checked places like FRA MUC AMS or CDG? LHR and London as a whole is a happy island of competition compared to any of the above...

London is the only market in Europe with two major intercontinental airlines based there. Three if we consider Norwegian at Gatters.

There’s at least one major competitor on every major market/city pair/route. NYC, Dubai, LA, Shanghai, Chicago, Jo’burg, Delhi, Mumbai, Tel Aviv, Toronto, Hong Kong, Singapore have three direct competitors.

There are, and have been historically, 5th freedom flights out of LHR. Air India, Kuwait are the last two examples.

There’s competition on every major UK route, if not from LHR at least from the London based airlines; and the UK regulators have forced BA to relinquish slots precisely to that purpose.

would also love to see a study on fares increasing... especially as every airline of recent is showing a reduction in yields due to over capacity.
Hmm, would question some of your reasoning here. While it’s true that home carrier dominance at the other main European airports is similar to LHR on a % basis, there are some significant differences. In particular, those airports are not slot constrained to the same extent as current LHR, and those cities have nowhere near the importance and volume of O&D / corporate business compared to LHR/London.

This means there is lesser incentive and reward for entrants in trying to build a competitive position in those airports, but a great incentive at LHR, if the opportunity existed. IAG knows this, and has openly stated in capital markets day presentations the intention to continue exploiting its dominance at LHR (in slightly less transparent wording, obviously, but the message was clear). My guess is that Mr Walsh’s greatest fear for IAG would be true competition at LHR. He has shown no appetite for a third runway unless he gets it free along with the lion’s share of the slots. Actions speak louder than words.

The point about competition existing on all the routes is again factually correct, but contextually questionable. BA’s main business is corporate (and a lot of O&D), so as long as it is the only carrier offering a wide range of destinations from LHR (with the help of some JVs to top that up), that business is protected. Slot constraints are the barrier to entry, and 50% of slots in this scenario is plenty for dominance. Monopoly and stranglehold may be emotive terms, perhaps hegemony is more accurate, but the effect is much the same.

There is no reason for me to wish for the demise of BA, but London is easily a big enough market for LHR to support multiple network carriers (or even another short haul “network” carrier, as U2 could effectively be), so I believe a reduction in BA’s LHR dominance by providing this opportunity to others would be healthy for competition, and by extension better for consumers.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 12:01 am

Originally Posted by Oaxaca
Hmm, would question some of your reasoning here. While it’s true that home carrier dominance at the other main European airports is similar to LHR on a % basis, there are some significant differences. In particular, those airports are not slot constrained to the same extent as current LHR, and those cities have nowhere near the importance and volume of O&D / corporate business compared to LHR/London.

This means there is lesser incentive and reward for entrants in trying to build a competitive position in those airports, but a great incentive at LHR, if the opportunity existed. IAG knows this, and has openly stated in capital markets day presentations the intention to continue exploiting its dominance at LHR (in slightly less transparent wording, obviously, but the message was clear). My guess is that Mr Walsh’s greatest fear for IAG would be true competition at LHR. He has shown no appetite for a third runway unless he gets it free along with the lion’s share of the slots. Actions speak louder than words.

The point about competition existing on all the routes is again factually correct, but contextually questionable. BA’s main business is corporate (and a lot of O&D), so as long as it is the only carrier offering a wide range of destinations from LHR (with the help of some JVs to top that up), that business is protected. Slot constraints are the barrier to entry, and 50% of slots in this scenario is plenty for dominance. Monopoly and stranglehold may be emotive terms, perhaps hegemony is more accurate, but the effect is much the same.

There is no reason for me to wish for the demise of BA, but London is easily a big enough market for LHR to support multiple network carriers (or even another short haul “network” carrier, as U2 could effectively be), so I believe a reduction in BA’s LHR dominance by providing this opportunity to others would be healthy for competition, and by extension better for consumers.
Frankfurt and AMS are slot-constrained. Not as much as LHR, granted, but they are.

I also disagree with you on Walsh. I don't know the man, but in my time in BA I dealt with senior management and with HAL on the topic of infrastructure related to the third runway. There is an acceptance that it will bring increased competition and, in fairness, BA has a largest exposure to competition than other carriers in Europe. Has anyone looked at the state of the German domestic market, for instance? Walsh himself, in his audition to the Brexit committee now a year and a bit ago, said that the uK should go for open skies agreement as much as possible.

The major issue seen with HAL is their pathological inability to be a) sensible about prices and b) on budget. I've worked on dozens of projects that were run by HAL, related to T5/T3 infrastructure. I haven't seen one on budget. HAL faces no monetary pressure. Their money comes from the airlines, and the airlines will pay because... it's either LHR or LHR. And airlines pay based on their % of traffic at LHR, so BA pays 52-53%. HAL is going to town with the third runway and already the costs are ballooning, see slide 26 of IAG's H2 presentation:
  1. HAL do not have the expertise to lead a project of this size
    1. HAL have demonstrated a lack of credibility in forecasting anticipated costs of expansion
    2. Planning costs have nearly doubled, from £265m to c.£500m
    3. Early construction costs have risen from £650m in April 2018, to £1,600m in the autumn of 2018 to £2,800m today
I now no longer work in the industry, but before I left I attended a meeting where HAL provided the costs for the design and build of T2's baggage system (it still hasn't got one, relying instead on T1's). The turnkey costs proposed by HAL are about 4 times higher than the one of T5, 3.something adjusted for inflation. I've gone on the Internet and I found automatic metro lines, 16km long, that costed less to build.
Unionruler likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 12:57 am

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
Frankfurt and AMS are slot-constrained. Not as much as LHR, granted, but they are.

I also disagree with you on Walsh. I don't know the man, but in my time in BA I dealt with senior management and with HAL on the topic of infrastructure related to the third runway. There is an acceptance that it will bring increased competition and, in fairness, BA has a largest exposure to competition than other carriers in Europe. Has anyone looked at the state of the German domestic market, for instance? Walsh himself, in his audition to the Brexit committee now a year and a bit ago, said that the uK should go for open skies agreement as much as possible.

The major issue seen with HAL is their pathological inability to be a) sensible about prices and b) on budget. I've worked on dozens of projects that were run by HAL, related to T5/T3 infrastructure. I haven't seen one on budget. HAL faces no monetary pressure. Their money comes from the airlines, and the airlines will pay because... it's either LHR or LHR. And airlines pay based on their % of traffic at LHR, so BA pays 52-53%. HAL is going to town with the third runway and already the costs are ballooning, see slide 26 of IAG's H2 presentation

I now no longer work in the industry, but before I left I attended a meeting where HAL provided the costs for the design and build of T2's baggage system (it still hasn't got one, relying instead on T1's). The turnkey costs proposed by HAL are about 4 times higher than the one of T5, 3.something adjusted for inflation. I've gone on the Internet and I found automatic metro lines, 16km long, that costed less to build.
Can’t disagree about the cost of the infrastructure project, though I wouldn’t limit this to HAL and this project. I am constantly baffled both by the incredible headline budgets relative to other countries, and the inability to keep to them/timelines, for such things in the UK (HS2 and Crossrail to name just two others). Somebody is making a ton of money on these things, not sure who.

I don’t know Mr Walsh either (met him once, but it wasn’t exactly an occasion for this type of debate, even though the subject of the third runway did come up). It is, however, easy for him to say that he favours open skies, while taking action (or inaction) in the background to ensure that the impact of that is on others, not IAG. As you say, LHR is LHR, he only has to prevent true competition, or the kind that could threaten BA’s core business, there.

I guess we’ll agree to disagree, which is fine
Old Aug 8, 2019, 4:37 am

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards

Can’t disagree about the cost of the infrastructure project, though I wouldn’t limit this to HAL and this project. I am constantly baffled both by the incredible headline budgets relative to other countries, and the inability to keep to them/timelines, for such things in the UK (HS2 and Crossrail to name just two others). Somebody is making a ton of money on these things, not sure who.

I don’t know Mr Walsh either (met him once, but it wasn’t exactly an occasion for this type of debate, even though the subject of the third runway did come up). It is, however, easy for him to say that he favours open skies, while taking action (or inaction) in the background to ensure that the impact of that is on others, not IAG. As you say, LHR is LHR, he only has to prevent true competition, or the kind that could threaten BA’s core business, there.

I guess we’ll agree to disagree, which is fine
Knowing some insiders on the Crossrail project, its very much a case of certain people making a ton of money. People ensuring their projects completed on time so bonuses would be met, even though complimentary work hadn't been completed or needed to be redone because they wouldn't alter their schedule to make more sense for the project over all. Sounds like in dire need of an exceptional programme manager.

HAL is just profit and money mad. The soft PR campaigns I've come across always focus on: how much money you can spend at LHR; can we squeeze some more retail in at the expense of seating or public space; you don't mind paying extra for being at the airport do you? I try to spend nothing or very little at LHR, but my financial protest is just a drop in the ocean.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 5:20 am

[/left][/left][/left][/left]I now no longer work in the industry, but before I left I attended a meeting where HAL provided the costs for the design and build of T2's baggage system (it still hasn't got one, relying instead on T1's). The turnkey costs proposed by HAL are about 4 times higher than the one of T5, 3.something adjusted for inflation. I've gone on the Internet and I found automatic metro lines, 16km long, that costed less to build.
Then they build terminal 2 they run out money so they do save and keap Terminal 1 buggade stystem runing at Spur, and as Insider it's only matter of time then this system will colapse especialy during hot days...
It's a shame that new Terminal 2 have old baggage system, and empty basement waiting for new system which I think they will install when they start building T2C
Old Aug 8, 2019, 6:38 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond

The effect is not really the same. I can't see why businesses should limit themselves to one airline (in fact, many corporations have corporate deals with several airlines). And many members here fly with different airlines for work. What seems to be the real issue is that frequent flyers do not want to lose their perks and dream of some magic airline the scale of BA that would enter the London market, make it its home base and shake things up. Well, that won't happen. There is already another major longhaul carrier at LHR. There won't be a third or fourth one because the market does not need/cannot support one. Even if someone tries and even when there are 4-5 runways at LHR only one will survive. I understand now what many mean by 'competition' here - the ability to fly almost everywhere they need with the same (what they perceive as 'better) carrier rather than the ability to not be restricted to the same airline (perceived as bad, ie. BA). BA can be avoided at LHR completely if only one so wished. But being able to avoid BA while not being able to collect FF currency/build status with the same airline/within the same alliance is not real competition for them. Whatever the size of BA at LHR is it is not a monopoly. The frequent flyer attachment of some should not be part of the equation.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 8:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador

https://www.theguardian.com/business...e_iOSApp_Other

nothing he hasn’t said before really but this time HAL is pushing back calling it

IAGs misleading rhetoric
and

we can’t be held up by IAG simply looking to protect their dominant position and record profits
Old Aug 21, 2019, 8:47 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Is there any other business where a company would publicly slag off their biggest customer?
Old Aug 21, 2019, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
If BA pulled out of LHR and IIRC Wiliie has threatened that before then I don’t think HAL would have to try too hard to find replacement airlines

perhaps HAL are fed up of Willie slagging them off?
Old Aug 21, 2019, 11:07 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
If BA pulled out of LHR....then I don’t think HAL would have to try too hard to find replacement airlines...
But would the replacement airlines be willing to pay the higher fees?
Old Aug 21, 2019, 11:22 am

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
If BA pulled out of LHR and IIRC Wiliie has threatened that before then I don’t think HAL would have to try too hard to find replacement airlines

perhaps HAL are fed up of Willie slagging them off?
If HAL is really fed up of the constant slagging they could, for instance, start deliver projects either on time, on budget or on spec. In all my dealings with them they never managed to do any of the three.

also having some realistic budgets wouldn’t hurt... How can HAL ask with a straight face for £1.8bn (as they did in May) for the T2 baggage system, when there are entire underground lines costing half that?
Old Dec 18, 2019, 8:19 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Platinum
Resurrecting this thread to wonder if last week's election result was good or bad news for Heathrow expansion?

My feeling is that is is good news. With a comfortable majority the government can push forward with some of their more controversial plans and the Prime Minister will conveniently forget his previous opposition to the scheme. Heathrow will need a lost of extra capacity so that those new northern Tory MPs can get to work.
lsquare and bhdcommuter like this.
Old Dec 18, 2019, 8:26 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
I thought the PM was in favour of a Thames Estuary airport? I just checked, but LBJ and BJL are both already assigned so we won't be able to name it after him though...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.