Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Heathrow Third Runway Approved by Parliament

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Heathrow Third Runway Approved by Parliament

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2018, 8:34 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Worcester
... research shows that cities with direct flights do more business, and certainly more flights lower the cost of air freight.
So in the future, with economic growth, a direct non stop BOS-DEL may appear and that’d be a loss to BA, HAL, London, UK, but another opportunity may arise to replace any losses, so as we know it’s a fluid situation.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 9:11 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by 1010101
Only if they do build a Heathrow section, otherwise you will completely remove the benefit of the Heathrow expansion from the rest of the UK. Noone is going to catch the train to Euston/Kings Cross to then sit on the tube for an hour to get to Heathrow.
The HS2 Heathrow spur would come at a considerable cost and, I believe, the investigation found that too few people would use it! What HS2 will have is a stop at Old Oak Common which itself will be linked to Heathrow - Elizabeth Line?
Old Jun 6, 2018, 11:06 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
Heathrow expansion with a 3rd runway will not happen. The NoX figures will prevent it. Even Heathrow airport itself in its 2014 report on NOX said that one has to assume zero traffic growth, and herculean other changes dreamt up in its Mitigation Strategy document, to get the NOX down to legal levels. They have not updated this report as I guess they've lost their flying pigs.
It is also advocating moving the NOX meters to where they won't find any NOX. Clever, huh!.

As to noise, while airlines, BA in particular, continue to use RR engined 747s the noise will not decrease. It still has c 36 of them, with, apparently, something like 34 "in storage" (??) (Airfleets.net). They are supposed to be all gone in 6 years time. And pigs might fly.

The real solution? - Build Boris Island with 21st century rail links and flog off LHR to the highest bidder to use for offices/housing/whatever. In the meantime, build LGW2 free from public subsidy, (and flatten the Belgrano)
Old Jun 6, 2018, 11:16 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Ancient Observer
...,(and flatten the Belgrano)
As in ‘sink it’, allegedly?
Old Jun 6, 2018, 11:21 am

The Belgrano is the Aviation term for the CAA HQ near LGW.
FlyerTalker39574 likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 11:44 am
Suspended

Save the beehive though.

Last edited by FlyerTalker39574; Jun 6, 2018 at 11:49 am
Old Jun 6, 2018, 12:29 pm

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Originally Posted by Ancient Observer
The Belgrano is the Aviation term for the CAA HQ near LGW.
Interesting, any idea how it got that name? CAA did not get on the wrong side of the Royal Navy for some reason?
Old Jun 6, 2018, 12:39 pm
V10

Programs: MUCCI Gold
Possibly something to do with being a large grey construction with a potential to be the source of nuisance that really needs sinking for the good of all concerned.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by richardwft
How does a Bostonian who travels BOS-LHR-DEL return without stopping over at LHR contribute to the London and UK economy?
And there was me thinking airlines and airports created jobs. And purchased goods from other companies that created jobs. And invested in infrastructure that also creates jobs. And that airlines and other businesses paid taxes.

Dear oh dear.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 1:21 pm

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Originally Posted by simons1
And there was me thinking airlines and airports created jobs. And purchased goods from other companies that created jobs. And invested in infrastructure that also creates jobs. And that airlines and other businesses paid taxes.

Dear oh dear.
Aside for employer NIC duty on drinks in the lounges, road tax on it's vehicles and APD British Airways pays its taxes in Spain. Since airfares are VAT except it seems likely that BA gets a large VAT rebate each quarter.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by Worcester
Aside for employer NIC duty on drinks in the lounges, road tax on it's vehicles and APD British Airways pays its taxes in Spain. Since airfares are VAT except it seems likely that BA gets a large VAT rebate each quarter.
Not according to IAG accounts it doesn't - it clearly refers to corporation taxes paid in UK.

Plus don't employees pay taxes? And BA's suppliers? And their employees? And HAL itself (£53m in the last year)?

Reality is all passengers even in transit contribute to the economy.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by roarss
Do we really need >37 flights per day between LHR and say, DUB (EI/BA Wednesday, 18 EI, 19 BA) often multiple flights minutes apart, using small A319/A320/737?

There needs to be better joint up thinking...
Joint thinking is what got us here today.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 5:33 pm

Worcester. I think that some of the folk that pay for licenses and etc would like to sink it. More of an RAF sort of label than a Navy one!
Old Jun 6, 2018, 11:57 pm
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Originally Posted by Heathrow Tower

Have you read this report that claims to prove the Hub proposal is safer than the 3rd parallel runway?

Not getting at you, but I’ve requested a copy numerous times from the Hub organisation and have never heard back, despite them continually claiming the safety benefits on Twitter.
I have read extracts - but if you read my post, am not claiming at all that it would be safer. I said it is viable from a safety perspective - meaning it meets the required standards,
Old Jun 7, 2018, 12:19 am

Programs: Mucci Grandee (Upgraded), BA Silver, AZ MilleMiglia
Originally Posted by PJSMITH0

Totally agree should be building two extra runways at LHR and one further a LGW and also should be planning infrastructure to improve links between these two hubs plus from the Midlands and North of England and not waiting until capacity is breached again. Infrastructure planning in Uk has been abysmal for last forty years
It's abysmal because no-one ever builds in margins - we only build something well after the need arises. Crossrail in London was rejected in around 1990 because we didn't absolutely need it yet. The fact that LHR and LGW are both operating at or near capacity is scandalous. Infrastructure needs to have plenty of built-in spare capacity to cope with irrops. If we need to operate 100m flights, then build the capacity for 200m - you don't need to use it all the time. It will pay itself back by saving the cost of delays.
PJSMITH0 and BorisBrownBear like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.