Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The return of Campari

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2019, 10:15 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / SQ *A Gold / Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by furryman
Several bottles of Campari in the SIN lounges earlier this week. No vermouth, unfortunately, so had to dilute my gin and Campari with tonic🙁
Not surprised. Most people can't handle vermouth.
Old Dec 18, 2019, 10:26 am

Programs: EL AL Matmid, BA Executive Club GfL, GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by 13901
Besides for Negroni, the wrong kind of Spritz and the sort of breakfast tipple my great-grandfather used to drink in summer (Campari with white wine, for it was too hot for coffee and genep), what's the use of Campari?
Campari in orange juice
Old Dec 18, 2019, 10:43 am

Programs: BAEC GGL
In the Admirals Club in SFO (I think) a little while ago I asked for a Negroni and was met with a blank stare. I explained "one part gin, one part campari, and one part red vermouth - then stir with ice". After a discussion as to what red vermouth was I got distracted with my book. A few minutes later I was handed a pint glass, containing two double shots of each by my reckoning. No charge despite not even offering the strange drink ticket as nothing was a "premium spirit".
T8191 likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2019, 10:54 am

Campari shaken with ice, drained to serve with orange rind in a martini glass. Perfection!
aristoph likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2019, 11:04 am

Originally Posted by smiles in the aisles
Campari shaken with ice, drained to serve with orange rind in a martini glass. Perfection!
Has there been a Campari shortage recently? Amazon Fresh no longer has it available, nor does the branch of Tesco Metro where I used to pick up a bottle. I have had to order it Prime delivered to the office!
Old Dec 18, 2019, 11:38 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by abligh
In the Admirals Club in SFO (I think) a little while ago I asked for a Negroni and was met with a blank stare. I explained "one part gin, one part campari, and one part red vermouth - then stir with ice". After a discussion as to what red vermouth was I got distracted with my book. A few minutes later I was handed a pint glass, containing two double shots of each by my reckoning. No charge despite not even offering the strange drink ticket as nothing was a "premium spirit".
<sigh> Yes, I've had to explain a negroni more than one to a bartender.</sigh> Usually in large chain hotels in middles-of-nowhere US, as well as occasionally in Asia. The funniest was when one person tried to make it his style by making a G&T, with a large shot each of Campari and vermouth, then adding all the fruit he had. It was pretty gross.
abligh likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2019, 11:47 am
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by TTmex
Not surprised. Most people can't handle vermouth.
I think I got it
Old Dec 19, 2019, 5:22 am

Programs: Aeroplan 50k, Hilton Diamond, Accor Plus Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz Presidents Club
Originally Posted by abligh
Similar story when flying Emirates J to Australia a few years ago. Cabin crew happy to oblige - they were pleased as punch (pun?) when gave them 10 out of 10 for the perfect Negroni, and the second one ensured a sound sleep

For the best (read lethal) Negroni go to the 'home' of Campari when you're next in Milan: Camparino in Galleria (https://www.camparino.com/en) in Galleria Vittorio Emanuele II on corner with Piazza Duomo. The bar is the best place to enjoy a generous glass of Negroni, or two, whilst admiring the ornate Italian craftmanship of the interior.
DeathSlam likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2019, 5:47 am

Originally Posted by mlafqtv
Similar story when flying Emirates J to Australia a few years ago. Cabin crew happy to oblige - they were pleased as punch (pun?) when gave them 10 out of 10 for the perfect Negroni, and the second one ensured a sound sleep
I was surprised that the humble negroni did not feature on the relatively extensive EK cocktail list, so with that in mind, theres not much hope for BA
Old Dec 19, 2019, 6:12 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by mlafqtv

For the best (read lethal) Negroni go to the 'home' of Campari when you're next in Milan: Camparino in Galleria (https://www.camparino.com/en) in Galleria Vittorio Emanuele II on corner with Piazza Duomo. The bar is the best place to enjoy a generous glass of Negroni, or two, whilst admiring the ornate Italian craftmanship of the interior.
Ha! Been there and agree!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.