Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The return of Campari

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2018, 8:11 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Oh, the things you can do with Campari...
choosethedrew likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 12:21 pm
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by orbitmic

Actually, Campari is very big in Germany and Austria though often associated with summer and drank the usual ways with soda, prosecco, or orange juice much as in Italy.

Ill admit I too am partial to Campari. I have better things to drink in the CCR and wouldnt mix it to an excellent Champagne, but should it make a return to cw Id be absolutely delighted!
Now, this is based very much on my own taste and I hate that bitter taste. Seriously I know of no one who drinks the stuff except in cocktails as I said. I remember being served Americanos and Negronis. I remember all those Apertif drinks (Dubonnets, Martini (sweet) and I realise that a lot of people enjoy them even if I don't

If you are happy, then I'm delighted and equally delighted that you have to drink them and not me. As for Pastis in any form, I believe that it is a drink from hell. I doubt that this will ever be aboard - I wonder if Air France stock it? Do Alitalia carry Campari? Just interested.
orbitmic likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
Do Alitalia carry Campari?
They do, yes (long-haul only, though). That aside, I'm not a big fan either to be perfectly honest but I know quite a few people enjoying it as a stand-alone drink or with a splash of prosecco.

G
Old Apr 15, 2018, 12:54 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
Originally Posted by LondonElite
I have always enjoyed a good Campari soda.
Campari and orange juice is my tipple. ^
Old Apr 15, 2018, 1:11 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
When do we get rum and shrub, that's what I want to know
Old Apr 15, 2018, 2:45 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Bonvoy Tit, Hilton Dia etc etc
Originally Posted by gnomeza
Were it not for the Negroni, fashion might dictate a switch to Aperol nowadays.
Originally Posted by orbitmic
i disagree. I much prefer Campari and I think that precisely were it not for spritz, Aperol would have much less success. Aperol-soda? Nah...
Indeed, fashion is fickle here. Aperol has a huge audience for its much less bitter profile, but it's 11% and a totally different beast. Campari has far more potential in cocktails in general, I especially recommend this one (subbing Cointreau with Combier, myself), a truly remarkable drink. And the numbers don't lie, it's sold in huge volumes. True, mostly in cocktails, whereas you'd struggle to fit Fernet, for example, in a cocktail (better to use the Czech version, like Stock or, if fancy, Jelinek). I used to mix a drink with scotch, tequila and Fernet, that said ... but Fernet does need a lot of alcohol firepower or it will obliterate all in its way.

Originally Posted by ringingup
Oh, the things you can do with Campari...
Among then the Boulevardier, which is a Negroni made with Rye Whiskey instead of Gin and an outstanding drink in itself. In fact, you will note that Rye has also made an appearance in the CCR and a discussion with the bartenders last Monday confirmed that this is not a permanent move, but rather a product placement "special" for the new US whiskeys in the CCR (they are stocking both a bourbon and rye), the Boulevardier being one of the showcase cocktails on the new list; the Campari's currently in stock only for the purposes of mixing said drink. Lacking strong positive feedback, the expectation is that Campari will not last beyond the promotional period for the drinks. I also got very excited when seeing it, but I am afraid we cannot count on the long term Shoreditchification of the CCR

As an EC resident, needless to say, I tend to carry three italian bitters in the house: Campari, Select (a venetian variant which is the proper ingredient for the Spritz in Venice) and Barbieri's own bitter (Barbieri being the company who also make Aperol). Gerry's in Covent Garden sell Carpano Rosso, too, one of the few places you can get this outside of Italy, and the best value for money red vermouth I have found. Two or three gins and Rittenhouse Rye 100 proof, too. But it would be nice to think the CCR can keep up a bit.
orbitmic and AlicorporateUK like this.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 3:11 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, IHG Spire Ambassador, HH Diamond, Scandic Top Floor
Qantas have found an excellent use for Aperol in their T3 Lounge, they have mixed it with sparkling water and frozen it into oversized ice cubes. I don't remember the name of the cocktail at their Gin bar, but it is the Botanist gin, a large Aperol ice cube, topped up with fever tree aromatic tonic (the pink one) and a wedge of lime.....

Really pleased I will be going to Helsinki tomorrow night ........

DtB
lostinlondon likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
Now, this is based very much on my own taste and I hate that bitter taste. Seriously I know of no one who drinks the stuff except in cocktails as I said. I remember being served Americanos and Negronis. I remember all those Apertif drinks (Dubonnets, Martini (sweet) and I realise that a lot of people enjoy them even if I don't

If you are happy, then I'm delighted and equally delighted that you have to drink them and not me. As for Pastis in any form, I believe that it is a drink from hell. I doubt that this will ever be aboard - I wonder if Air France stock it? Do Alitalia carry Campari? Just interested.
Ah ah! It is really funny you should mention pastis because I was just thinking of it and of how I'd love it to also join the BA galleys! You read my thoughts (if disapprovingly! ) And yes, AF stock it. It used to even offer it in Y not sure if they still do! AF also stock some of the far more interesting post-dinner drinks like Green Chartreuse, and eau de vie de poire Williams, both very lovely (I hate Baileys with a passion and this is pretty much the polar opposite!)

So I'm happy indeed Campari is back but will be mostly happy if it is back onboard especially in C/J. As mentioned, in the CCR, I much prefer to stick to a BA175 which I enjoy or unadulterated Champagne or wines when they have some I like!
Old Apr 15, 2018, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by MarkedMan
Indeed, fashion is fickle here. Aperol has a huge audience for its much less bitter profile, but it's 11% and a totally different beast. Campari has far more potential in cocktails in general, I especially recommend this one (subbing Cointreau with Combier, myself), a truly remarkable drink. And the numbers don't lie, it's sold in huge volumes. True, mostly in cocktails, whereas you'd struggle to fit Fernet, for example, in a cocktail (better to use the Czech version, like Stock or, if fancy, Jelinek). I used to mix a drink with scotch, tequila and Fernet, that said ... but Fernet does need a lot of alcohol firepower or it will obliterate all in its way.

Among then the Boulevardier, which is a Negroni made with Rye Whiskey instead of Gin and an outstanding drink in itself. In fact, you will note that Rye has also made an appearance in the CCR and a discussion with the bartenders last Monday confirmed that this is not a permanent move, but rather a product placement "special" for the new US whiskeys in the CCR (they are stocking both a bourbon and rye), the Boulevardier being one of the showcase cocktails on the new list; the Campari's currently in stock only for the purposes of mixing said drink. Lacking strong positive feedback, the expectation is that Campari will not last beyond the promotional period for the drinks. I also got very excited when seeing it, but I am afraid we cannot count on the long term Shoreditchification of the CCR

As an EC resident, needless to say, I tend to carry three italian bitters in the house: Campari, Select (a venetian variant which is the proper ingredient for the Spritz in Venice) and Barbieri's own bitter (Barbieri being the company who also make Aperol). Gerry's in Covent Garden sell Carpano Rosso, too, one of the few places you can get this outside of Italy, and the best value for money red vermouth I have found. Two or three gins and Rittenhouse Rye 100 proof, too. But it would be nice to think the CCR can keep up a bit.
Yes that cocktails sounds interesting (as does the one with the Aperol ice cube in the QF lounge which Down the Back mentions!
Old Apr 19, 2018, 6:23 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Not one but two full bottles available in JFK T7 tonight 👍
flying_pig likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 6:34 pm

Programs: BAEC GfL, currently GGL
Several bottles of Campari in the SIN lounges earlier this week. No vermouth, unfortunately, so had to dilute my gin and Campari with tonic🙁
Old Dec 18, 2019, 4:52 am

...and still we await the return of the majestic Campari onboard. Now that a list of cocktails have made the menus in Club & First, would it not be a fitting time for a return? Anyone in the know?
Old Dec 18, 2019, 5:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
I very much doubt that it will return, there have been many more popular drinks that have been removed and they haven’t come back.
Old Dec 18, 2019, 5:42 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
They have these bottles of Campari. Did you see anyone actually serving themselves from them?
Old Dec 18, 2019, 8:03 am

Besides for Negroni, the wrong kind of Spritz and the sort of breakfast tipple my great-grandfather used to drink in summer (Campari with white wine, for it was too hot for coffee and genep), what's the use of Campari?

One thing I'd love to see making its way out of Italy are amari (nothing beats a good Genep, or a San Simone after a meal) or perhaps a Brancamenta. But somehow I doubt it ever will.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.