FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   The return of Campari (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1904024-return-campari.html)

flying_pig Apr 15, 2018 3:25 am

The return of Campari

For those who enjoy the one and only red bitter from Milano, I am very pleased to report that, a few years after its demise, Campari is back in the CCR (and possibly other T5 lounges?). I recently spotted a couple of bottles behind the bar... Pity that Borisz is no longer there, as I am sure he would have made a perfect Negroni (well, except for the lame Martini Rosso, but that’s another story).

I am wondering if Campari will be back on board (it was previously discontinued both onboard and in the lounges at the same time)...

PUCCI GALORE Apr 15, 2018 3:28 am

Originally Posted by flying_pig (Post 29641953)
For those who enjoy the one and only red bitter from Milano, I am very pleased to report that, a few years after its demise, Campari is back in the CCR (and possibly other T5 lounges?). I recently spotted a couple of bottles behind the bar... Pity that Borisz is no longer there, as I am sure he would have made a perfect Negroni (well, except for the lame Martini Rosso, but that’s another story).

I am wondering if Campari will be back on board (it was previously discontinued both onboard and in the lounges at the same time)...

Apart from the shape of the bottle, I see little to recommend it. I'd far sooner that they would make sure that there was enough of everything elseon board rather than this Bitter, that outside cocktails no one outside Italy drinks anymore.

bisonrav Apr 15, 2018 3:29 am

Was it wafted to the CCR from Paradise?

lost_in_translation Apr 15, 2018 3:31 am

Ah, always amusing to see the effects of Shoreditch / East London on the broader UK economy!

Not complaining though, here's hoping it reappears onboard soon. The other major omission in BA's LHR lounges outside of the CCR is crème de cassis.

LondonElite Apr 15, 2018 3:35 am

I have always enjoyed a good Campari soda.

flying_pig Apr 15, 2018 3:52 am

Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE (Post 29641962)
that outside cocktails no one outside Italy drinks anymore.

This is anecdotal and somehow incorrect... Campari sells roughly 3.5 million 9-litre cases per year, most of which outside of Italy. To put it in perspective, 3.8 million 9-litre cases of Bombay gin and 3 million of Tanqueray are sold each year...

Airlineanorak Apr 15, 2018 4:01 am

Great news! I love a splash of Campari in my G&T!

orbitmic Apr 15, 2018 4:56 am

Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE (Post 29641962)
this Bitter, that outside cocktails no one outside Italy drinks anymore.

Actually, Campari is very big in Germany and Austria though often associated with summer and drank the usual ways with soda, prosecco, or orange juice much as in Italy.

I’ll admit I too am partial to Campari. I have better things to drink in the CCR and wouldn’t mix it to an excellent Champagne, but should it make a return to cw I’d be absolutely delighted!

Globaliser Apr 15, 2018 4:57 am

Originally Posted by bisonrav (Post 29641964)
Was it wafted to the CCR from Paradise?

I don't know, but I'm sure it would be more alarming to see the return of LTN.

gnomeza Apr 15, 2018 5:19 am

Originally Posted by orbitmic (Post 29642124)
Actually, Campari is very big in Germany and Austria though often associated with summer and drank the usual ways with soda, prosecco, or orange juice much as in Italy.

Were it not for the Negroni, fashion might dictate a switch to Aperol nowadays.

orbitmic Apr 15, 2018 6:24 am

Originally Posted by gnomeza (Post 29642149)
Were it not for the Negroni, fashion might dictate a switch to Aperol nowadays.

i disagree. I much prefer Campari and I think that precisely were it not for spritz, Aperol would have much less success. Aperol-soda? Nah...

HIDDY Apr 15, 2018 6:54 am

Fernet is much more popular here. Our brickie - of Italian extraction - is always singing its praises whereas I think it tastes like medicine. Campari is recognised as being inferior.

Mixbury Apr 15, 2018 7:16 am

Originally Posted by flying_pig (Post 29641953)
a perfect Negroni

Do you mean an excellent Negroni?

orbitmic Apr 15, 2018 7:22 am

Originally Posted by HIDDY (Post 29642306)
Fernet is much more popular here. Our brickie - of Italian extraction - is always singing its praises whereas I think it tastes like medicine. Campari is recognised as being inferior.

They are just completely, completely different and you would not drink them in the same way. It's bit as if he was telling you that whisky is inferior to Port. I like Fernet Branca too but not instead of Campari and no Campari instead of Fernet Branca. Campari (and aperol, chinotto, etc) are bitters based on both herbs and citrus rind and it is an aperitif. It is a liqueur with about 25% AbV.

Fernet Branca, (like Becherovka, Unicum, Jägermeister, etc) is a purely herbal bitter primarily based on aloe (the recipe is secret and many people claim that artichoke root is the other main ingredient). It is drank as a digestive and it is a spirit with about 40% AbV. Incidentally, I bet that like many Italians, your brickie must be furious at many bars in Argentina serving Fernet con Coca which is one of the most bizarre ad pointless mixtures one could possibly think of!

So nothing against Fernet, quite the contrary, but the comparison simply isn't on except arguably for people who hate bitter tastes so much that they might consider that they are equally disgusting to them! ;)

Dave_C Apr 15, 2018 8:10 am

Credit where credit is due, this is good news. Also hoping it'll make a return on board too.