Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 5, 2018, 3:58 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Globaliser
Mid-J 747 Refurbishments
In April 2018 BA announced that they had started a programme to refurbish the cabins on the Mid-J 747-400 fleet. In January 2020, this programme was completed.

As part of the refurbishment all of the aircraft involved have undergone a basic refresh which consisted of:

* Full aircraft deep clean
* Seats in WT/WTP refurbished with new seat foams and cushions as on Super Hi-J aircraft

9 of the aircraft received an ENHANCED refurbishment to bring the cabin up to the same standard as the Super Hi-J 747-400 fleet. This consisted of what is listed above plus:

* New carpets fitted throughout
* All curtains replaced
* New Panasonic IFE fitted in all classes

Note: It was initially believed that the enhanced refurbishment included LED mood lighting throughout, but this is not the case. All retained standard lighting. There were no plans to install WiFi to any Mid-J configured 747-400 aircraft.
Refurbishment Progress
Note: Aircraft that have undergone an ENHANCED refurbishment are shown in red

Aircraft are listed below in the order that they were refurbished and show return to service date, along with retirement date where applicable.

G-CIVM - 03 April 2018 - Retired 16 Mar 2020
G-CIVN - 22 April 2018 - Retired 16 Apr 2020
G-CIVD - 28 June 2018 - Retired 8 August 2020
G-CIVO - 14 October 2018 - Retired 11 September 2020
G-CIVT - 11 November 2018 - Retired 3 April 2020
G-CIVA - 14 January 2019 - Retired 3 April 2020
G-CIVJ - 28 January 2019 - Retired 15 April 2020
G-CIVC - 03 March 2019 - Retired 6 November 2020
G-CIVE - 24 March 2019 - Retired 16 September 2020
G-CIVP - 08 April 2019 - Retired 21 September 2020
G-CIVL - 20 April 2019 - Retired 14 April 2020
G-CIVU - 11 October 2019
G-CIVK - 25 October 2019 - Retired 26 September 2020
G-BNLY - 24 November 2019
G-CIVB - 25 January 2020 - Retired 8 October 2020

Print Wikipost

Mid-J 747 Cabin Refresh

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2018, 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by shefgab
G-CIVM def still has the Rockwell Collins system, and there have been no changes to the Club cabin. I think it was simply a change of seat covers in Y and Y+, plus a deep clean. No mood lighting.
Well I presume (hope) a deep clean is part of the normal heavy maintenance cycle in Cardiff anyway, so it seems the only 'investment' item for these dying birds is the Y/Y+ covers.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 7:01 am

Programs: BAEC, AerClub
Am flying to LAS on Wednesday on BA271, can anyone tell me what aircraft is scheduled yet, or is it too early?
Old Apr 21, 2018, 9:54 am

Programs: BA GGL, A3*G, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
Originally Posted by FinnRolo
Am flying to LAS on Wednesday on BA271, can anyone tell me what aircraft is scheduled yet, or is it too early?
Too early, ask again on Monday.
FinnRolo likes this.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Almost definitely a unrefurbised 52J 744!
Old Apr 21, 2018, 4:43 pm

Programs: BAEC, AerClub
Originally Posted by mikeyfly
Almost definitely a unrefurbised 52J 744!
That's what I'm expecting,
However, I am just hoping it won't be one of the really old (1990 or 1993 or 1994) birds, as I had a couple of flights on these last year and they really are in an embarrassingly dire state. I would go so far as to say they are literally falling apart internally - I was in the F galley for a while talking to a crew member, and some wall panels were coming apart with insulation material hanging out.
On another flight the well documented IFE issues arose, with the system having to be rebooted several times during the flight.

Last edited by FinnRolo; Apr 21, 2018 at 4:53 pm
Old Apr 22, 2018, 1:50 am

I'll try and make a bit of clarity, here, with regards to this refresh.

The first aircrafts to be refurbished between now and the summer will not have the new IFE. This is because they haven't got enough life, in them, to justify the investment. As others have said, an IFE can potentially be recycled and then put onto another aircraft, but a lot of the wiring is lost and it's a hell of a job. So "all" these birds are getting are a lot of clearing of defects, thorough inspections, an overhaul of every moving part of seats and so on, new foams, new curtains, new seat cushions and that's basically it. Had it been me I'd have worded the communications differently, something on the lines of "9 aircrafts get new IFE and another 7 get a good scrub" but hey, there's a reason why I've always failed marketing classes.

These birds, even those receiving the IFE, won't get the new-er, 380/787/74S, Club seat (the one grey and white). Not entirely sure about mood lightning either. This piece of work has been authorised as a simple, stop-gap solution since the introduction of the 74S has really revealed what a massive gap exists, in customer's perception, between those and the Mid-Js, chiefly for the IFE and cleanliness.

Some have mentioned that the time to re-fit these planes is quite a long time indeed, but the truth is that it's done to fit in the normal calendar of maintenance. There isn't a) the space at BAMC b) the downtime and c) the extra aircrafts to cover for those birds if it was done quicker; in fact, I'm personally finding it surprising it's still going ahead, given the bad news coming out of Derby with regards to the 787. For instance -BJE has been in "paperweight" mode since, well, God knows when and even more planes will need to have their powerplants checked.

Wi-Fi is a separate piece of work, I'm afraid. I think it does happen, when it's possible, in conjunction with scheduled maintenance (don't quote me on that but I believe that the 380s doing their heavies over in Manila by Lufthansa Technik are having it fitted) but sometimes it's too much to fit into a packed maintenance schedule, or the necessary spares/infrastructure cannot be mobilised, so it's done separately. I know there's a tendency, on these pages, to think BA Engineering is rather bureaucratic and that lateral thinking doesn't abound but it really isn't. If it makes sense, saves money/time/effort and helps the customers they'll do their damnedest to make it happen.

All this is based on my knowledge and it's not BA's opinion.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 1:56 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by 13900
"9 aircrafts get new IFE and another 7 get a good scrub"
Indeed this makes it a lot clearer, thank you for that. Do you have a list of the 9? If not @Globaliser can perhaps work it out....
Old Apr 22, 2018, 2:07 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Indeed this makes it a lot clearer, thank you for that. Do you have a list of the 9? If not @Globaliser can perhaps work it out....
Apologies, no.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 2:08 am

I'll try and make a bit of clarity, here, with regards to this refresh.

The first aircrafts to be refurbished between now and the summer will not have the new IFE. This is because they haven't got enough life, in them, to justify the investment. As others have said, an IFE can potentially be recycled and then put onto another aircraft, but a lot of the wiring is lost and it's a hell of a job. So "all" these birds are getting are a lot of clearing of defects, thorough inspections, an overhaul of every moving part of seats and so on, new foams, new curtains, new seat cushions and that's basically it. Had it been me I'd have worded the communications differently, something on the lines of "9 aircrafts get new IFE and another 7 get a good scrub" but hey, there's a reason why I've always failed marketing classes.
Huge thanks for the very informative post.

What I don’t understand is why BA let them get into such a state in the first place. I flew to DFW and back over Easter and put simply they were decrepit, bordering on disgusting. I filled in the survey I got after the flight so hopefully it will get noted.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 2:20 am

Firstly thanks @13900 for the detail and clarification.

This piece of work has been authorised as a simple, stop-gap solution since the introduction of the 74S has really revealed what a massive gap exists, in customer's perception, between those and the Mid-Js, chiefly for the IFE and cleanliness.
The view I would take is that such a gap shouldn't have been allowed to arise in the first place. We have known the state of these aircraft for a long time, and I think a decision should have been taken to make at least some improvements to them some years ago. Even if that was just the minimal 'scrub' they're doing now. As it is, they have left it so late that the damage is already done - perception of BA's product in markets served by these aircraft I would guess is pretty bad.

[ETA: as Dave_C said!]
Dave_C likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 2:34 am

Originally Posted by Dave_C
Huge thanks for the very informative post.

What I don’t understand is why BA let them get into such a state in the first place. I flew to DFW and back over Easter and put simply they were decrepit, bordering on disgusting. I filled in the survey I got after the flight so hopefully it will get noted.
Originally Posted by Ldnn1

The view I would take is that such a gap shouldn't have been allowed to arise in the first place. We have known the state of these aircraft for a long time, and I think a decision should have been taken to make at least some improvements to them some years ago. Even if that was just the minimal 'scrub' they're doing now. As it is, they have left it so late that the damage is already done - perception of BA's product in markets served by these aircraft I would guess is pretty bad.

You're both welcome.

As with most things, there are multiple reasons. Bureaucracy aside - as with many large corporations, getting money and spending it requires a lot of time & effort - it's a mixture of different factors behind the state the Mid-Js are in. For starter they fly some of the 'worst' routes; I don't wish to offend anyone, but the Vegas route ought to be served with a plane just made of stainless steel, to be washed with a high-pressure hose after each flight. I worked six months as an aircraft cleaning supervisor and the amount - and diversity! - of bodily fluids we've seen after a rowdy LAS-LHR is astounding. It's unfortunately true, but I've seen - day in day out - situations where the same aircraft type goes to Japan and returns spotless; goes elsewhere and it returns good for the scrap heap.

Secondly, they don't get a lot of downtime. Believe it or not, just shampooing (yes, it's called shampooing!) the carpets of an aircraft takes six hours, and can't be done with engineers on board. It's the same issue of the LGW birds, by the way. Then there's the old issue of cost. Keep the OPEX as little as possible and, inevitably, you'll have to invest a hell of a lot of CAPEX to recover the crappy situation that the small expenditure on OPEX has led to.

All this is based on my experience and is my view, not BA's.
rockflyertalk likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 2:34 am

Originally Posted by Ldnn1

The other thing that I hope will get noted is that as a six year GGL and LTG, I have zero BA revenue bookings so far. I fully intend to get as few tier points as possible this collection year.

I’ve even gone so far as to have a United Polaris booking (on a 77W) which I have some quite low expectations of. LH and LX first is outstanding, and I’m looking forward to my first AC sectors in a long time in June, especially with the new signature service they’ve introduced.

But I’ll be SEN by September, and so far not regretting my decision in the slightest.

WW always wanted people to show him the money, well that’s what I’m doing now.

Last edited by Prospero; Apr 22, 2018 at 5:30 am Reason: to comply with Rule 16
Old Apr 22, 2018, 3:57 am

Programs: AA EXP
I worked six months as an aircraft cleaning supervisor and the amount - and diversity! - of bodily fluids we've seen after a rowdy LAS-LHR is astounding.
Oh joy. I'm on the 191 tomorrow, G-BNLP, which just operated (gulp) LAS-LHR.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 4:22 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by superweak
Oh joy. I'm on the 191 tomorrow, G-BNLP, which just operated (gulp) LAS-LHR.
Thanks for your hugely informative posts @13900
Bringing your own plastic seat cover, antiseptic wipes and rubber gloves would seem to be the new order of the day when flying this sub-fleet @superweak!
Perhaps BA could provide aircraft specific amenity kits

Last edited by gcuk; Apr 22, 2018 at 4:28 am
Old Apr 22, 2018, 4:43 am

Have you seen the new BA sleeper suit for these birds?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.