Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 5, 2018, 3:58 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Globaliser
Mid-J 747 Refurbishments
In April 2018 BA announced that they had started a programme to refurbish the cabins on the Mid-J 747-400 fleet. In January 2020, this programme was completed.

As part of the refurbishment all of the aircraft involved have undergone a basic refresh which consisted of:

* Full aircraft deep clean
* Seats in WT/WTP refurbished with new seat foams and cushions as on Super Hi-J aircraft

9 of the aircraft received an ENHANCED refurbishment to bring the cabin up to the same standard as the Super Hi-J 747-400 fleet. This consisted of what is listed above plus:

* New carpets fitted throughout
* All curtains replaced
* New Panasonic IFE fitted in all classes

Note: It was initially believed that the enhanced refurbishment included LED mood lighting throughout, but this is not the case. All retained standard lighting. There were no plans to install WiFi to any Mid-J configured 747-400 aircraft.
Refurbishment Progress
Note: Aircraft that have undergone an ENHANCED refurbishment are shown in red

Aircraft are listed below in the order that they were refurbished and show return to service date, along with retirement date where applicable.

G-CIVM - 03 April 2018 - Retired 16 Mar 2020
G-CIVN - 22 April 2018 - Retired 16 Apr 2020
G-CIVD - 28 June 2018 - Retired 8 August 2020
G-CIVO - 14 October 2018 - Retired 11 September 2020
G-CIVT - 11 November 2018 - Retired 3 April 2020
G-CIVA - 14 January 2019 - Retired 3 April 2020
G-CIVJ - 28 January 2019 - Retired 15 April 2020
G-CIVC - 03 March 2019 - Retired 6 November 2020
G-CIVE - 24 March 2019 - Retired 16 September 2020
G-CIVP - 08 April 2019 - Retired 21 September 2020
G-CIVL - 20 April 2019 - Retired 14 April 2020
G-CIVU - 11 October 2019
G-CIVK - 25 October 2019 - Retired 26 September 2020
G-BNLY - 24 November 2019
G-CIVB - 25 January 2020 - Retired 8 October 2020

Print Wikipost

Mid-J 747 Cabin Refresh

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2018, 2:06 am

Originally Posted by 13900
The deep clean/refresh is done during the normal Engineering checks timetable, so there's no need to stop the plane ad-hoc. There are, from memory, 16 Mid-Js. Originally (and I mean when the decision to change the Hi-J into Super Hi-Js with the new IFE) the Mids weren't meant to stay for long and were meant to be gone by 2020; then fleet plans changed, albeit ever so slightly, and now 9 (I think, just quoting from memory of old discussions) will remain for longer - how much longer, don't ask! - and will therefore get a new IFE. Since an IFE change is a fairly long piece of work, and with so many 787s lying around LHR without engines, this job cannot be done during the summer.

Replacements aren't done on a 1:1 basis. At the moment, the 747s are being replaced by a mixture of 788, 789, 78K and 35K. It's impossible to say that, say, Vegas, will be in the long run be run by a 35K in lieu of a 744. In fairness, fleet plans are constantly reviewed, as well as each season's flying is.

All these are my opinion and not BA's.
Agreed, but the B787/8/9 have ongoing engine problems, and BA are so short of Aircraft and or crew they are wet leasing in aircraft, and leasing out slots. Not the climate for retiring aircraft in the next year.
Old Jul 1, 2018, 2:36 am

Originally Posted by rapidex
Agreed, but the B787/8/9 have ongoing engine problems, and BA are so short of Aircraft and or crew they are wet leasing in aircraft, and leasing out slots. Not the climate for retiring aircraft in the next year.
I honestly fail to see your point! Even assuming that the 787 engine problem is going to continue beyond the summer (which RR is betting that it isn't, but we all know how much a RR bet is worth), and even assuming that no new wet leases can be done, or that no new planes are to be sourced and the older Mid-Js are to be kept going for another year, it doesn't mean that the IFE can be justified, or that the downtime for these planes can be found so that they can be fitted with a new piece of equipment.

The thing is, these 747s are going because they are close to reaching the number of cycles that BA deems to be maximum for their lifespan, or because they're about to require a heavy (C2, or D) check that represents an investment too high for a machine which will then have to be phased out after a short time of flying. You cannot extend their life forever.
Old Jul 1, 2018, 4:01 am

Originally Posted by 13900
I honestly fail to see your point! Even assuming that the 787 engine problem is going to continue beyond the summer (which RR is betting that it isn't, but we all know how much a RR bet is worth), and even assuming that no new wet leases can be done, or that no new planes are to be sourced and the older Mid-Js are to be kept going for another year, it doesn't mean that the IFE can be justified, or that the downtime for these planes can be found so that they can be fitted with a new piece of equipment.

The thing is, these 747s are going because they are close to reaching the number of cycles that BA deems to be maximum for their lifespan, or because they're about to require a heavy (C2, or D) check that represents an investment too high for a machine which will then have to be phased out after a short time of flying. You cannot extend their life forever.
The B787 engine problems will run to the middle of next year, The A350's dont come until next year, so BA will have a choice.Lease in more aircraft, get rid of some slots or perform the required C and D checks. They have already not retired the aircraft due to retire last November, so it will be interesting to see what they do next. I would be willing to bet the B747's will soldier on a couple of years longer than last years plan.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 11:30 pm

I hear that the next Mid-J to go for a refresh will be G-CIVO, and that would include a new IFE. Timeline is September; whether it's more like August or October I don't know.

This is my view and not my employer's.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 2:31 am

Originally Posted by rapidex
The B787 engine problems will run to the middle of next year, The A350's dont come until next year, so BA will have a choice.Lease in more aircraft, get rid of some slots or perform the required C and D checks. They have already not retired the aircraft due to retire last November, so it will be interesting to see what they do next. I would be willing to bet the B747's will soldier on a couple of years longer than last years plan.
I suspect there will be many (including myself) who won't mind these beautiful old birds postponing their well-earned retirement for longer (providing they have been refurbed), even more so if UD CW or with the Panasonic IFE. I expect it will be a sad sad day for BA and on FT when BA's operates its last 747 flight.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 3:05 am

Programs: BA Silver, for now at least...
Was on G-BNLN back from LAS the other night, the upstairs cabin was in a shocking state. Side panels haning off, cubby holes half broken. And as for the IFE, it is so shockingly out of date now it is beyond a joke.

I love the upper deck as much as anyone, but these old birds are well past their sell-by date. I just pray that the mechanicals are better maintained than the internals...
Old Jul 5, 2018, 4:33 am

Programs: BAEC, AerClub
Originally Posted by Professor Yaffle
Was on G-BNLN back from LAS the other night, the upstairs cabin was in a shocking state. Side panels haning off, cubby holes half broken. And as for the IFE, it is so shockingly out of date now it is beyond a joke.

I love the upper deck as much as anyone, but these old birds are well past their sell-by date. I just pray that the mechanicals are better maintained than the internals...
That aircraft is 28 years old this month.
In my opinion it really should have been retired already, as from personal experience, I can certainly agree that the older 744s are in a dire state.
I see that G-BNLN is due to be taken out of service next July, and the other two 1990 registered 744s should be gone before the end of this year. See:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27571616-post1689.html
Old Jul 8, 2018, 1:13 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond
Used G-BNLN to New York a few days ago and it was both dirty ( used napkins, previous flight menus and empty drinks bottles) with crumbs on seats and floors. Panels damaged and falling off, multiple overhead bins not in use and broken toilet.

I was actually shocked they think this is acceptable considering the EX LHR JFK fares.

I am not actively going to avoid any Mid J 747.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 2:16 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by BHDATC
Used G-BNLN to New York a few days ago and it was both dirty ( used napkins, previous flight menus and empty drinks bottles) with crumbs on seats and floors. Panels damaged and falling off, multiple overhead bins not in use and broken toilet.

I was actually shocked they think this is acceptable considering the EX LHR JFK fares.

I am not actively going to avoid any Mid J 747.
My first BA flight was PHX-LHR in 2009. UD 747 ... man was that a treat. We do the flight about once a year and what a disappointment the plane has become. It used to seem so glamorous .... and now it's really outdated. The flight is convenient though so I'm not likely to switch.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 2:49 pm

Programs: BAEC Blue, Flying Blue Silver, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by drewaz
My first BA flight was PHX-LHR in 2009. UD 747 ... man was that a treat. We do the flight about once a year and what a disappointment the plane has become. It used to seem so glamorous .... and now it's really outdated. The flight is convenient though so I'm not likely to switch.
That’s the problem with some of these routes and PHX is a prime example. BA have little or no competition so the cabin doesn’t matter.

When do you see an unrefurbished BA aircraft going east bound to places like Singapore or Hong Kong? They have to keep a half tidy product to compete.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 6:44 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by bmibaby737

That’s the problem with some of these routes and PHX is a prime example. BA have little or no competition so the cabin doesn’t matter.

When do you see an unrefurbished BA aircraft going east bound to places like Singapore or Hong Kong? They have to keep a half tidy product to compete.
JFK?
Old Jul 9, 2018, 11:47 am

Programs: BA Executive Club, AS Airlines Mileage Plan
How do I find out which aircraft is used on the Seattle run( BA 48-49, 747)? Flight Aware says I cannot see the tail numbers unless I "upgrade". We will be flying in two weeks.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by enzian
How do I find out which aircraft is used on the Seattle run( BA 48-49, 747)? Flight Aware says I cannot see the tail numbers unless I "upgrade". We will be flying in two weeks.
You won't find out a specific registration for the aircraft which will operate your flight this far out. You may be able to see it a couple of days beforehand on a site like flightradar24 but this is far from guaranteed. And even when you can see a specific registration, it's not guaranteed and the aircraft could be changed at short notice.

If you want historical information, flightradar24 will provide some recent information and the BA Source has a database stretching back much longer, although it sometimes doesn't update the most recent entries as quickly.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 12:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by enzian
Do a dummy booking for J class. If the seatmap shows lower deck J as rows 17-20 alone, then you'll be on a mid-J 747 (the subject of this thread). If it covers rows 12-22, then you'll be on a refurbished super-hi-J.
RobDBA likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 1:33 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club, AS Airlines Mileage Plan
Thanks! It is rows 12-22. And the one-way price (all I checked for a dummy booking) is over $10K! I am glad I could sue Avios to book our seats.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.