Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 5, 2018, 3:58 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Globaliser
Mid-J 747 Refurbishments
In April 2018 BA announced that they had started a programme to refurbish the cabins on the Mid-J 747-400 fleet. In January 2020, this programme was completed.

As part of the refurbishment all of the aircraft involved have undergone a basic refresh which consisted of:

* Full aircraft deep clean
* Seats in WT/WTP refurbished with new seat foams and cushions as on Super Hi-J aircraft

9 of the aircraft received an ENHANCED refurbishment to bring the cabin up to the same standard as the Super Hi-J 747-400 fleet. This consisted of what is listed above plus:

* New carpets fitted throughout
* All curtains replaced
* New Panasonic IFE fitted in all classes

Note: It was initially believed that the enhanced refurbishment included LED mood lighting throughout, but this is not the case. All retained standard lighting. There were no plans to install WiFi to any Mid-J configured 747-400 aircraft.
Refurbishment Progress
Note: Aircraft that have undergone an ENHANCED refurbishment are shown in red

Aircraft are listed below in the order that they were refurbished and show return to service date, along with retirement date where applicable.

G-CIVM - 03 April 2018 - Retired 16 Mar 2020
G-CIVN - 22 April 2018 - Retired 16 Apr 2020
G-CIVD - 28 June 2018 - Retired 8 August 2020
G-CIVO - 14 October 2018 - Retired 11 September 2020
G-CIVT - 11 November 2018 - Retired 3 April 2020
G-CIVA - 14 January 2019 - Retired 3 April 2020
G-CIVJ - 28 January 2019 - Retired 15 April 2020
G-CIVC - 03 March 2019 - Retired 6 November 2020
G-CIVE - 24 March 2019 - Retired 16 September 2020
G-CIVP - 08 April 2019 - Retired 21 September 2020
G-CIVL - 20 April 2019 - Retired 14 April 2020
G-CIVU - 11 October 2019
G-CIVK - 25 October 2019 - Retired 26 September 2020
G-BNLY - 24 November 2019
G-CIVB - 25 January 2020 - Retired 8 October 2020

Print Wikipost

Mid-J 747 Cabin Refresh

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2020, 7:36 am

Originally Posted by Young82
Sorry if I’ve missed something, but by Jan 2021 there will be a lot less 747s. Will some of the T3 routes I.e. Cape Town still keep the 747? Surely some T3 routes will change equipment soon?
Impossible to say. Plans constantly change and evolve based on how the world mutates. Who'd have guessed that we'd have had a 9/11 in August of that year? Or, for that matter, who'd have thought that COVID0-19 would've popped out of Wuhan? Plus, even when plans are made, they can be changed.
Young82 likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 2:33 am

Programs: BA Gold
Apologies if this is a stupid question, but is there any consistency (for want of a better word) for plane allocation on the same day each week? To give an example, I'm flying on BA207 in September on a Saturday (so obviously there's not going to be a plane allocated for nearly six months), but having kept an eye on it for the last few weeks it seems that the Saturday service tends to get an enhanced refurb 747. Is it likely that BA does aim to have this sort of consistent allocation? I appreciate that things change and you're better off trying to read palms than predict allocation this far out, but I might as well ask...
Old Mar 9, 2020, 2:41 am

Originally Posted by richiejv
Apologies if this is a stupid question, but is there any consistency (for want of a better word) for plane allocation on the same day each week? To give an example, I'm flying on BA207 in September on a Saturday (so obviously there's not going to be a plane allocated for nearly six months), but having kept an eye on it for the last few weeks it seems that the Saturday service tends to get an enhanced refurb 747. Is it likely that BA does aim to have this sort of consistent allocation? I appreciate that things change and you're better off trying to read palms than predict allocation this far out, but I might as well ask...
Absolutely no pattern. Zero. I tried to see if there was last few flights, and there isn’t.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 4:13 am

Originally Posted by Young82
Absolutely no pattern. Zero. I tried to see if there was last few flights, and there isn’t.
Some weeks there is the same aircraft that operates LHR-NBO-LHR consistently - sometimes for more than a week - so it does happen on some routes where it makes sense. It may happen on other routes, but I do not have evidence of that.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 5:29 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, MUCCI, Elite Fan of MO, ALL Accor Live Gold
Smile

Originally Posted by richiejv
I will be on the BA207 in August.................impossible to know what frame will be operating then, and looking at patterns now will make no relevance in the future.

I will load up my ipad just in case of Rockwell Collins IFE. I'm sure I will have some lovely WW crew looking after me in F anyway
Young82 likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 8:50 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by rossmacd
Some weeks there is the same aircraft that operates LHR-NBO-LHR consistently - sometimes for more than a week - so it does happen on some routes where it makes sense. It may happen on other routes, but I do not have evidence of that.
This pattern does happen for routes out of Terminal 3 where the timing of inbound and outbound suits.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 9:00 am

Originally Posted by rossmacd
I am booked on the NBO route in August, when booking and choosing a seat it is scheduled to be a mid-J 747. However, I have just looked at the tracking on Flight radar and currently has 777-200 on the route. Also, interestingly the recently refurb ones with new CW and reduced F. Is this just a case of cost-saving currently to using more efficient planes or is it likely the 777 is now fixed for this route moving forward?

Will be great to try the new Club Suite, however flying out in F and return in CW and was looking forward to my first F on a 747.
Old Apr 13, 2020, 11:31 am

I noticed on the BA fleet retirement thread, that G-CIVM has been retired, leaving five mid-j 747's with the old IFE.

G-CIVD is expected to retire in May.

Meanwhile G-CIVJ, G-CIVK, G-CIVL and G-CIVN are all being transferred to Cotswold Airport, presumably for storage before retirement.

So pretty soon all the old IFE mid-j aircraft will no longer be flying.
Old Apr 25, 2020, 12:56 pm
Kwi

Programs: BAEC - Blue AND Chief Taster for Walkers Crisps
Looks like G-CIVN has been retired officially...
from BA Source:

"Withdrawn British Airways Boeing 747-436 G-CIVN positioned London Heathrow – Kemble for part out and scrap early this afternoon, Useful components had been removed/replaced at London Heathrow"

*didn't realise there was a retirement page already on this forum where its already listed as retired..

Last edited by Kwi; Apr 26, 2020 at 3:22 am
Old Apr 26, 2020, 6:15 am

Originally Posted by Kwi
Looks like G-CIVN has been retired officially...
from BA Source:

"Withdrawn British Airways Boeing 747-436 G-CIVN positioned London Heathrow – Kemble for part out and scrap early this afternoon, Useful components had been removed/replaced at London Heathrow"

*didn't realise there was a retirement page already on this forum where its already listed as retired..
Yeah that’s correct. I have updated the wiki here. G-CIVN and G-CIVI are the ones with components removed at LHR and to be retired early due to Covid. G-CIVM was already a planned retirement before the Covid issues.

AFAIK The rest of the 747s that are at Kemble/Teruel are just stored, although especially with the Mid-Js at Kemble, there is a good chance they won’t return to service.
Old Jun 3, 2020, 2:42 pm

Programs: American, BA, United,Marriott
Question Any 744's in the air?

Not sure this question is best suited on this thread (or previously answered) but are there any of the BA 744's operating passenger revenue flights or are all grounded?
Old Jun 3, 2020, 3:57 pm

Programs: BAEC, Virgin Flying Club
Originally Posted by 1stClassFan
Not sure this question is best suited on this thread (or previously answered) but are there any of the BA 744's operating passenger revenue flights or are all grounded?
​​​​​
Just posted in another thread that I see G-CIVP flying tonight's BA59 (Cape Town). I assume this is freight only as it shows as cancelled on the BA website.

https://fr24.com/BAW59/24a01d85
Old Jun 3, 2020, 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by sbonathan
​​​​​
Just posted in another thread that I see G-CIVP flying tonight's BA59 (Cape Town). I assume this is freight only as it shows as cancelled on the BA website.

https://fr24.com/BAW59/24a01d85
Repatriation flight, I believe.

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-ad...turn-to-the-uk
Old Jun 3, 2020, 5:20 pm

Yes, repatriation. Empty outbound and returning as BA9114. On flightradar, you’ll see BAW59 and BAW58L as these are the callsigns used for the regular BA59/58 service. I assume it’s to simplify overflight rights etc.

champ

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.