Wiki Posts
Search

BA Avios Hotel booking refund

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2020, 10:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: PCR Plat
BA Avios Hotel booking refund

I booked three nights in a hotel in LA a few months ago using 170k avios (I know, I know, its a poor use of Avios, but it suited me at the time). The stay was for next week and obviously the flight has now been cancelled.
The cancellation policy for the hotel booking is:"Cancellation Policy:
This reservation is non-refundable once booking is completed."

What are the chances of getting my Avios back now if I cancel this? IHG have been generous and allowed me to cancel my Advance Purchase booking, anyone know if hotelsandcars.ba.com are offering anything similar? I can only find information on flight bookings, nothing on hotels.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 10:05 am

Programs: BA Gold, Avis President
Who knows...I've a J class flight on Iberia to MAD to MEX with £200 and 85k Avios riding on it...??
Old Mar 18, 2020, 10:07 am

Programs: BAEC
I have a similar situation, Hotel booked in Nice for easter....I plan on waiting till nearer the time before calling BA holidays about it as they will have much more pressing issues to deal with but your stay is getting close so I would attempt to call them. I assume you will get everything back but that's just me assuming things......good luck.
T8191 and AnaTravel like this.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 10:10 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold) , Accor (Gold) , IHG
I had a (cash) Flight + Car booking in France from coming Sat via BA Holiday and, according to the email I got a few hours after the FCO update , I am getting a full refund in 7 days
Would have thought that a points booking would get same treatment... have you had notice of cancellation yet from BA Holidays?
Old Mar 18, 2020, 10:18 am

Programs: BAEC: Bronze; Marriott: Gold
Are hotelsandcars.ba.com and BA Holidays the same thing? They have different websites an totally different prices.
I've a non refundable cash booking (earning 15 Avios per £1) with hotelsandcars.ba.com for Moscow in July. Seriously hoping that all of this is over by then, but who knows?
Old Mar 18, 2020, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
I have four future bookings of full-on Holidays, Flight+Car and Flights (cost abated with avios). Oh, and few transit hotes too, but that’s down to the hotel/insurance.

As the ‘conveyor belt’ of cancellations moves along, I have confidence I will be refunded in cash as our turn comes up. I’m talking May, Jul, Sep and Dec ... and just being patient.
argonath likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 7:55 am
Suspended

I have a car rental booked with avios and 50eur next week, need to call to cancel but suppose to be charged 35 pounds cancellation fee plus 15 pounds for talking to an agent. So obviously I only like my avios back, the 50 eur are gone no matter what unless they wave all charges. Anyways I went to my avis account and cancelled it there. Lets what happens.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 11:21 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, MUCCI, Elite Fan of MO, ALL Accor Live Gold
I had a hotel reservation in NYC next week. It was a non refundable booking and was paid for using Avios.

i called BA Avios the other day and they refunded my Avios in full.
T8191 and LBA_flyer like this.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 11:33 am
Suspended

Depending on the supplier used the Avios team in Warrington have policies in place for non refundable hotels which a lot booked through them are.

the suppliers allowing refunds for minimal cancellation fee some without fee
T8191, LBA_flyer and Grande Annee like this.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Good to hear. We have a couple of transit hotels upstream (Amex) - haven’t pestered them yet, as they’re weeks ahead. Likewise a 2-week US house rental through Evolve, but that was by Debit card (to avoid Forex) ... I shall see how they react in July.

Last edited by T8191; Mar 19, 2020 at 12:42 pm
Old Mar 19, 2020, 12:18 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, MUCCI, Elite Fan of MO, ALL Accor Live Gold
Originally Posted by Hawk777
Depending on the supplier used the Avios team in Warrington have policies in place for non refundable hotels which a lot booked through them are.

the suppliers allowing refunds for minimal cancellation fee some without fee

i did NOT have to pay a cancellation fee
Hawk777 likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 6:48 am

Originally Posted by bakera
Are hotelsandcars.ba.com and BA Holidays the same thing? They have different websites an totally different prices.
I've a non refundable cash booking (earning 15 Avios per £1) with hotelsandcars.ba.com for Moscow in July. Seriously hoping that all of this is over by then, but who knows?

Do hotels and cars.ba.com have a specific phone number. I have some hotel stays to cancel (if they are indeed cancellable) for a few weeks time (flight already cancelled but booked separately) - the hotels were cash bookings. If it isn’t a specific number what option do I pick when ringing the regular BA number (don’t want to waste anyone’s time by going through to the wrong place).
Old Mar 22, 2020, 9:08 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / Marriott Platinum
Does anyone know about avios.com bookings? I.e. cash paid on the avios.com website. Can't find any info at all on the website. I've got a booking in Milan and I'm hopeful of getting a refund, but they've provided no info at all
AnaTravel likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 2:42 pm

TTMex, I booked a hotel through BA Bookings. It has been anything but straightforward. Dealing with cancelled flights was a dawdle in comparison.

After hearing nothing from BA (despite emails and phone calls) I spoke to the hotel directly. The group's revised policy assured a full refund for my cash booking. They advised me to contact my travel agent (BA) and tell them to email the hotel directly to confirm cancellation and refund. That proved impossible. Every time I called, BA, the line was disconnected.

I spoke to the hotel again and was surprised to learn that my booking (made through BA) was with Expedia. I was then able to call Expedia and organise a cancellation and refund. It has been a mess. Typically, I book my own accommodation, but on a whim, I decided to try BA. What troubled me most was that I had no online way of checking anything with BA Hotel Bookings. I had one email from them only. As a precaution, I have emailed all parties - as I still haven't received a promised email and return of cash.
TTmex likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 6:17 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold / Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by AnaTravel
TTMex, I booked a hotel through BA Bookings. It has been anything but straightforward. Dealing with cancelled flights was a dawdle in comparison.

After hearing nothing from BA (despite emails and phone calls) I spoke to the hotel directly. The group's revised policy assured a full refund for my cash booking. They advised me to contact my travel agent (BA) and tell them to email the hotel directly to confirm cancellation and refund. That proved impossible. Every time I called, BA, the line was disconnected.

I spoke to the hotel again and was surprised to learn that my booking (made through BA) was with Expedia. I was then able to call Expedia and organise a cancellation and refund. It has been a mess. Typically, I book my own accommodation, but on a whim, I decided to try BA. What troubled me most was that I had no online way of checking anything with BA Hotel Bookings. I had one email from them only. As a precaution, I have emailed all parties - as I still haven't received a promised email and return of cash.
Thanks a lot, Ana. I will try and contact Expedia then. I've the same issue, just a confirmation email and no way of seeing anything online.

BW
AnaTravel likes this.

Last edited by TTmex; Mar 23, 2020 at 8:31 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.