Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What's No Bedding in F Worth?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2018, 2:25 pm

Programs: BA, JAL
Originally Posted by Flexible preferences
I think 5K is a bit light for this. But I also think that there are many elements that make the F experience, not least of which is the primary objective, to transport you from A to B. Also, there is the dining, lounges, Avios bonus, service, I could go on and on. So 5K is too light, but isn't way out imo.
Ok - cheers for your response. Interesting to hear the different perspectives. I think early on in the thread (in particular) there are a number of people who would be happy with 5k. Me too, but having said that I'm not one for caviar.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by RollAnotherFatOne
Ok - cheers for your response. Interesting to hear the different perspectives. I think early on in the thread (in particular) there are a number of people who would be happy with 5k. Me too, but having said that I'm not one for caviar.
This happened to me last year LHR-ORD and I didn't bother claiming.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 2:42 pm

This happened to me last year LHR-ORD and I didn't bother claiming.
That was a day flight. Would you be so forgiving if you were on a night flight, such as the OP?
Old Apr 6, 2018, 2:42 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
@RollAnotherFatOne : thanks for coming back on this, and your expanded thoughts are very interesting.

I’m with you on the potential dangers that can develop from a ‘compensation culture’. But I certainly do not concur with the notion that “businesses will never pay more than they have to”

I can think of several personal examples, over the years, of businesses who have undoubtedly paid me “more than they have to”. It has happened on a good number of occasions within the travel / hospitality sector ; but a particularly memorable one is not travel-related, and actually concerns John Lewis : I once purchased a sofa, at a hefty discount from the full price, during their sale period, and in the week or so immediately following purchase, I couldn’t help thinking that one of the base cushions appeared to be a (slightly) different shade from another - but with the difference only being noticeable in a particular light, depending on time of day.

Eventually I called their Customer Services team, who wanted me to discuss the situation directly with the departmental manager, and connected me to her. She listened carefully to my thoughts and asked what outcome I was looking for. I said that I was aware it was a ‘sale item’ and that as such I couldn’t necessarily expect it to be perfect and perhaps the fallback option was a full refund and I could look for another sofa in my own time. “But I’d like you to be totally happy with us as a retailer” she said. “What if I ordered a brand new sofa from our suppliers, of the exact same style & colour, and then exchanged it for the existing one, but at no additional cost to you ?” Naturally, I accepted promptly ; and have continued to be a John Lewis fan ever since.

There was no significant PR in this for John Lewis (apart from me telling friends & family, that is) and there was certainly no legal obligation on their part.

Sometimes it’s about doing the decent thing ; which might, on occasion, involve more than just looking at your profits.

710 77345 likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by rossmacd
That was a day flight. Would you be so forgiving if you were on a night flight, such as the OP?
Yes, I probably would have bothered to complain for a night flight.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by subject2load
Sometimes it’s about doing the decent thing ; which might, on occasion, involve more than just looking at your profits.
But what does this actually mean? The 'decent' thing would presumably be a fair outcome. So what is a fair amount of Avios compensation for this service failure? And what if the parties disagree? Does this make one decent and the other er...indecent?

And, if we don't agree with the compensation level, BA have arguably done the decent thing in voluntarily signing up to CEDR where the compensation level can be independently and objectively decided upon.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 3:25 pm

@Flexible Preferences : ‘decent’ to me means a lot more than a paltry sum of 5,000 Avios, as in this case. In fact, I struggle to think of any significant failure where 5,000 Avios is appropriate, when a First Class fare has been paid, in the reasonable expectation of a very high standard of service and facilities throughout a flight.

As for a more acceptable figure : clearly, open to debate, but I would probably go with PETER 01 upthread, where he suggests something in the order of 25-30,000.

All that said, there is a much wider picture ; and it revolves around the fact that - when reacting to legitimate (and often quite serious) grievances, many, many organisations are far more customer-focussed than is BA. Few people would claim that it is the airline’s strong point.

Old Apr 6, 2018, 3:41 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
I continue to read these comments with interest. I have yet to receive any response from BA from my own issue of lack of F bedding last Saturday. Admittedly this was a much shorter sector than the OPs. However, I only fully appreciated the difference on the return with the much (in my opinion) higher quality product used in F rather than J.

If dodgy IFE is routinely given 20k avios, I think the bedding should also be seen as part of the expected amenities with equality in compensation when things go wrong. Should this be differentiated by route and time of day? I suppose not as they don’t do this for other service failures as far as I am aware.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by subject2load
@Flexible Preferences : ‘decent’ to me means a lot more than a paltry sum of 5,000 Avios, as in this case. In fact, I struggle to think of any significant failure where 5,000 Avios is appropriate, when a First Class fare has been paid, in the reasonable expectation of a very high standard of service and facilities throughout a flight.

As for a more acceptable figure : clearly, open to debate, but I would probably go with PETER 01 upthread, where he suggests something in the order of 25-30,000.

All that said, there is a much wider picture ; and it revolves around the fact that - when reacting to legitimate (and often quite serious) grievances, many, many organisations are far more customer-focussed than is BA. Few people would claim that it is the airline’s strong point.

I think PETER01 is in a better position to value this compensation figure than I am. I note there were other service failures too, and it was a long night flight. I am still mindful however of the very many elements that make up the F experience, on top of the transportation element. The flat bed was still supplied, as was the 'real estate' square footage.
Old Apr 7, 2018, 12:36 am

One of my very last flights on BA F was Heathrow - Haneda. For some reason, something with the lights in the F seat were broken and kept turning on while I was sleeping, waking me up every ten minutes or so. Multiple attempts were made to fix it, but to no avail.

I received 5k avios as compensation.

To contrast, for issues in LH F I've received a few hundred euros in cash.

I see absolutely no reason to pay for BA F anymore. Service recovery is, to me, is a very important metric when selecting a carrier (and also a reason I fly F).
Old Apr 7, 2018, 1:09 am

@nollbit - in my haste I initially read your final paragraph as “I see absolutely no reason for BA to pay any more”

Then I read it again. More carefully. And it made a lot more sense ......

​​​​​​​
nollbit likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2018, 4:40 am

Yes, I probably would have bothered to complain for a night flight.
Bit pointless making the comment then other than to perpetuate usual agendas?
rossmacd likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2018, 4:43 am

The moral high ground is a lonely place.
Indeed it is. If only the OP could have enjoyed the unbelievable good luck and consistently perfect experience which benefits certain posters on this forum.
rossmacd likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2018, 5:08 am

Originally Posted by simons1
Bit pointless making the comment then other than to perpetuate usual agendas?
You will see that my posting history is often critical of BA. In this case, this experience actually happened to me, and my comment was highly relevant.

If I do have an 'agenda', whatever that is (for we will all have our reasons for posting here), as I have said many times, I dislike unfairness and often my posts are when I perceive something as unfair. I haven't made up my mind on this particular thread, I can see the merit in 25-30K compensation, however I can also see a lower figure being fair. With continuing debate, fact and opinion, maybe we'll get closer to the answers...
Old Apr 7, 2018, 5:29 am

You will see that my posting history is often critical of BA. In this case, this experience actually happened to me, and my comment was highly relevant.
The OP was on a night flight. You admitted you were on a day flight.

You made some point about it happened to you and you didn't complain, however when challenged admitted it would have been different if you too had been on a night flight.

If you think that little comparison is likely to assist the OP I'm honestly surprised.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.