Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Group Boarding 2018 - first hand experiences

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 9, 2018, 5:46 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Genius1
Please use this thread to document experiences of the new Group Boarding process in airports. I think it's well known how the previous boarding system works, so just the new process please, so that other travellers can gauge its effectiveness.

For discussion, conjecture and speculation about the scheme, please use this thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1878043-boarding-group-introduced-general-discussion.html
Print Wikipost

Group Boarding 2018 - first hand experiences

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2018, 12:52 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
LHR to TXL, 19/01/2018, T5 Gate 12

Thanks to "severe delays" on the Piccadilly Line (i.e. a 35-minute gap between trains to T5), boarding was already well underway as I got to the gate but it appears to have been done by the book.

Three separate lanes, clearly signed as "Group 1", "Groups 2/3" and "Groups 4/5". The first two lanes were empty and there was a queue at the third. I walked up the empty lane 1 and was called forward immediately. As I went down the escalator the gate agent announced "If we could now have Group 4... Group 4 only, please come forward".

Very pleasantly surprised.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 2:51 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, BA LTG, Hilton Diamond, FB Platinum, EK Gold
Yesterday LHR-AMS from gate A9: arrived at the gate just as `group 1 was being called. The separate lanes were clearly marked and there was staff checking boarding passes in front of the 4-5 boarding lane. No scrum, walked into an empty lane 1, cruised to the aircraft, easiest boarding in a long time.
Not sure what happened after, but boarding was complete 15 min before departure time...on a Friday evening. Must be a record for a full flight to AMS. Very impressed.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 3:26 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt 5+ Badge

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Mucci des Salons Ouvrants
No new signs at 10A but called by Groups and enforced. Seemed a bit pointless to get on one bus though for the EDI flight 1458.

Regards

aks120

Old Jan 20, 2018, 5:12 am

Programs: BA Gold, *A Gold, IHG Platinum
LHR-MAN yesterday evening.

Got to the gate a couple of minutes before boarding started and I think the new process was in place, but cant be sure as there didn't seem to be much difference.

Group 1 queue was a mile long, group 2 had two people in and a couple of others in the other lanes. Group 1 was announced and there didn't appear to be any enforcement (nobody checked my boarding pass or anyone elses as far as I could see) - just a guy directing people towards the auto gates.

I was the last person through the group 1 lane and group 2 was called after I's passed through.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 12:34 am

Programs: BAEC OW Gold/Emerald
Lhr-gla ba1474

Boarding by group number this morning. Very few people in group 1 and group 2 called a few seconds later. Was in group 2 so not sure how smoothly it went after that.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 4:51 am

Today I will have a departure to BRU, and on my Android device I clearly see the Group 1 label on my app boarding pass. However, when I load the same boarding pass on my iPad, there is no mention of group anywhere on the whole boarding pass .... it just looks like the old version of the boarding pass still on the iPad .... Looks like a software bug to me, I can’t imagine they forgot to add it to the iPad version of the BA app.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 5:32 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
No group boarding last night on BA756 LHR-BSL which departed from a B gate.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 6:39 am

Programs: BA Gold, Starwood Platinum, Hhonors Gold, Sirius Silver, Amex Platinum, BA Amex PP
GLA-LHR BA1495 20th Jan. When I arrived at the gate there were about five people in the priority queue and too many to count in the general boarding queue. After no more than a few minutes a call was made for Groups 1, 2 and 3 together to board using the priority lane.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 8:06 am

LHR-LUX 21st Jan BA418

”Those in Club World, Gold, Silver, and Bronze members” all called to board at once. When I asked why we weren’t called by group the reply was “we’ve been told groups are coming soon”.

So so someone should tell the guys in T3 if this is supposed to be live.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 8:17 am

Friday at EDI - LCY - called Club and Gold (and OW E), then after a while said "any more Priority". I haven't flown BA for a while so waited to be called (Silver) as did a few others. The next announcement was for general boarding. I should have assumed that "any more priority" meant Silver but it wasn't clear.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 8:22 am

It's getting very difficult to find the "first-hand experiences of group boarding" in this thread. Most contributions seem to be anything but.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 8:45 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Stena Gold
Originally Posted by Misco60
It's getting very difficult to find the "first-hand experiences of group boarding" in this thread. Most contributions seem to be anything but.
Forgive me if I've misunderstood you, but "first-hand" isn't the same as "first"
Old Jan 21, 2018, 9:27 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Robington3rd
LHR-LUX 21st Jan BA418

”Those in Club World, Gold, Silver, and Bronze members” all called to board at once. When I asked why we weren’t called by group the reply was “we’ve been told groups are coming soon”.

So so someone should tell the guys in T3 if this is supposed to be live.
From the Wiki :-

For LHR specifically, all T5A departures are now Group Boarding. T5B and T3 should start next week 22 January. Out stations are moving over gradually.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 1:27 pm

Programs: BA Gold, *A Gold, IHG Platinum
Following on from my less than brilliant experience at LHR on Friday night... MAN-SZG yesterday, group 1 boarding was announced but of course nobody had any group numbers printed on their boarding passes. A few moments of confusion later, groups 1,2 and 3 were announced. Still more confusion and a few of the less frequent flyers then asked if the numbers he was mentioning meant seat numbers (which could potentially be an issue anywhere for those not familiar with their boarding passes).

Eventually, the gate agent gave up and called everyone forward.

Top marks for trying I suppose.
kosy91 likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 3:54 pm

Programs: BA Gold
LHR to MAN on Friday - three lines at the gate (group 1, groups 2&3 and groups 4&5). All very orderly and clearly explained with announcements - I was near the front of the group 1 line so didn't see what happened after I boarded. Auto boarding gates at gate 7 also worked well.

MAN to LHR today, two lines at the gate (groups 1,2&3 and groups 4&5) presumably due to lack of space in the narrow corridor by gate 142. Clearly announced again, including "anyone without a group number please join the queue for groups 4&5" which I thought was a little odd. Again, very orderly. I'm actually hopeful that this is going to work well!
Genius1 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.