Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Group Boarding 2018 - first hand experiences

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 9, 2018, 5:46 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Genius1
Please use this thread to document experiences of the new Group Boarding process in airports. I think it's well known how the previous boarding system works, so just the new process please, so that other travellers can gauge its effectiveness.

For discussion, conjecture and speculation about the scheme, please use this thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1878043-boarding-group-introduced-general-discussion.html
Print Wikipost

Group Boarding 2018 - first hand experiences

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2018, 2:28 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Wozza2404
Flight to DXB from C gate at T5 two weeks ago was "First and Gold only at this point" and was enforced.

DXB-LHR last week was called as "Only Gold and First Class" but it didn't seem to be enforced (at least 80 people surging forward).
That's because it hadn't started yet. Please check the Wiki.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 3:08 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold
Orderly group queuing on BA834 LHR-DUB this morning - until a DYKWIA joins the group 1 queue from the front!
Old Jan 23, 2018, 3:23 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Up In The Air
Orderly group queuing on BA834 LHR-DUB this morning - until a DYKWIA joins the group 1 queue from the front!
And you tolerated that?
Old Jan 23, 2018, 3:30 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by Tafflyer

And you tolerated that?
I'm not sure why they didn't just go in front of everyone as surely no-one else could possibly trump them!
Old Jan 23, 2018, 4:37 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Gold
My own experience of Group Boarding:

Aberdeen - Heathrow Tuesday 16/1 No Group Boarding yet at Aberdeen, just the usual rummel.

Heathrow - Innsbruck Wednesday 17/1 T5A Gate A23 Just one person 'queued' (can you have a queue of one?) at the entrance to Group 1 lane, quite a few in the Group 3-5 lane. Boarding delayed by about 10 minutes and then started with a few pre-boarders then Group 1 called. As I got to the desk, several passengers started to move from Group 3 lane towards the desks but were promptly sent back. From a Priority Boarder (Group 1) aspect, the process was far superior to the previous push/shove through the people standing around, waiting their turn.

Munich - Heathrow. Sunday 21/1 No Group Boarding yet - No Pre-board just a call for CE/Gold/Silver and OW equivalents, which caused a bit of a rugby scrum.

Heathrow - Aberdeen Sunday 21/1 T5A Gate A5 (self boarding pass scanners). 4 people standing at entrance to Group 1 lane, a lot at 3-5 lane. Boarding call was pre-boarders then Group 1.

Overall, I am very impressed at the difference Group boarding has made at T5A from a 'Priority' boarding perspective - can't wait for a more system wide rollout, especially Aberdeen
Old Jan 23, 2018, 5:03 am

Programs: BA Executive Club Silver
Had an interesting boarding experience on BA268 in LAX on Jan 20. Boarding was late by 25 minutes or so. But due to the group boarding they still managed to board an almost full A380 in less then 20 minutes. Boarding begann at 20.30, boarding completed announced at 20.47 and pushback was at 20.55 for an ontime 21.05 departure. Great effort LAX staff.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 7:28 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
LHR-GOT, gate A3.

Priority first and then group 1. Bit over zealous with the yellow bag tags.
Only a couple of people stood next to the group 1 Tensa barriers and even then, only a couple of minutes before boarding commenced. Nice to the area free of "gate lice".
Old Jan 23, 2018, 8:29 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Tafflyer

And you tolerated that?n
Of course not - I tutted disapprovingly!
DYKWIA and Frequent flyer 101 like this.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 9:18 am

LHR-VCE this morning - gate A13.

Three queues clearly marked out as expected and no people hanging around.

They called 'We welcome group 1 to queue in the group 1 queue and for group 2-3 to join the other queue".

Unfortunately they then added "boarding will commence in 10 minutes" - but only after we'd moved into the queues.

So we had the group 1s queued up and waiting. Eventually they moved us forward.

However because they had us standing in the queues - and group 1 was longer than the tensa barriers, the sign was masked - so several people joined at the back looking confused wondering where they should be.

I did note that the people who joined confused ended up coming in to the plane *after* the people at the front of the group 2/3 queue - so I assume they either self corrected or did the walk of shame.

But I liked the lack of gate hangers and the signs/queues were clear (in my opinion) - announcements were also clear. Just could have done without being asked to queue 10 minutes before boarding.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 10:45 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, VS Gold, HH Diamond, Accor Gold
BA974 LHR-HAM from gate A8 this morning.

Got to the gate about 5 mins before boarding having experienced GF for the first time having made Gold (busy, but quiet/relaxing enough!).

Some folk were already queued in the 3 tensa'd lanes, but everyone else was hanging back . When they called group 1, the boarding process was quick and smooth - much better than my previous experiences.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 11:39 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Starbucks Gold,
I did LHR-NCE on Friday evening with a GCH, SCH and 2 non BAECs - we had Group 1, 2 and 4 on BPs. All were allowed to come through with me in Group 1 and it was fairly easy. On the way back from NCE on Sunday, whilst it was not Group Boarding, they seemed more proactive at doing Gold and CE first, then Silver, then Bronze as opposed to the usual 'any card will do' approach.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 11:41 am

LHR-YVR last week. They didn't call by group but called by status. This was strictly enforced despite the congregating. I felt like I was at some sort of government agency and people were just funnelling to try their luck at each announcement. "Maybe they will not notice I have no status and let me on the plane!"
Old Jan 23, 2018, 11:42 am

Programs: BA GGL
Thumbs down

Same PNR, one BA Gold, one BA Bronze. Boarding passes say Group 1 and Group 3, respectively, which seems broken to me.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 11:48 am

Originally Posted by mmxbreaks
Same PNR, one BA Gold, one BA Bronze. Boarding passes say Group 1 and Group 3, respectively, which seems broken to me.
You can file this under 'known bug' - the guy who came on to discuss this a few weeks back admitted as such and that they would work on a fix for it.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 12:05 pm

Programs: BA silver, VS, Jet, Carlson gold, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by mmxbreaks
They have already announced that this is going to be fixed a little later in the year as they have to do an update to FLY. In the mean time agents are supposed to allow people on the same PNR to board together in the highest group. I can see this leading to unpleasant situations though if the staff haven't been fully informed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.