Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Group Boarding 2018 - first hand experiences

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 9, 2018, 5:46 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Genius1
Please use this thread to document experiences of the new Group Boarding process in airports. I think it's well known how the previous boarding system works, so just the new process please, so that other travellers can gauge its effectiveness.

For discussion, conjecture and speculation about the scheme, please use this thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1878043-boarding-group-introduced-general-discussion.html
Print Wikipost

Group Boarding 2018 - first hand experiences

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2018, 2:56 am

MAN-LHR this morning worked very well. Called from the lounge and walked straight on to the aircraft.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 3:23 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by twincheeks
MAN-LHR this morning worked very well. Called from the lounge and walked straight on to the aircraft.
What was the Group boarding sequence, and from which gate?
Old Jan 25, 2018, 3:34 am

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
What was the Group boarding sequence, and from which gate?
Just two groups 1,2&3, and then the rest. It was Gate 143 so not much room for anymore than two queues. Having said that by the time we arrived from the lounge the GA was asking if there were any others for group 1,2 or 3, and we walked past all the other passengers to board.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 3:40 am

Programs: BA Gold, Sixt Platinum
BA 948 to Munich this morning, no group boarding. Departed from T5B, sequence was CE/Gold/Silver/Bronze first and the everyone else
Old Jan 25, 2018, 3:45 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by twincheeks

Just two groups 1,2&3, and then the rest. It was Gate 143 so not much room for anymore than two queues. Having said that by the time we arrived from the lounge the GA was asking if there were any others for group 1,2 or 3, and we walked past all the other passengers to board.
Thanks for that, twincheeks. That's how I encountered Group Boarding (also from 143) on my last few trips. I still believe there is scope to offer proper Group boarding at that gate, rather than 1,2 and 3 all together.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 3:50 am

Programs: BA Gold, Honors Gold
Originally Posted by frasier
Let’s see how GOT works on Friday
I came back from GOT this week and it was the Gold/Silver/Bronze all in one go fandango but I was surprised to hear the boarding announcement made in English first. I don't think group boarding has been enabled in outstations yet?
Old Jan 25, 2018, 3:52 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by mattyw
I don't think group boarding has been enabled in outstations yet?
Not all of them, or indeed many of them, see the wiki for more information.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 5:34 am

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
Thanks for that, twincheeks. That's how I encountered Group Boarding (also from 143) on my last few trips. I still believe there is scope to offer proper Group boarding at that gate, rather than 1,2 and 3 all together.
It was the first flight out this morning at 6:30, and whilst I am aware that not all priority passengers will be up at the front, it was very quiet with only 7 in Five rows of CE. The later flights will probably be busier and more of a test of the system.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 7:44 am

Boarding was called in Sequence at gate 143 at MAN this morning. As was the flight at gate 141 after that. both seemed to work well. Gate 143 area is only really big enough for 2 lanes (Groups 1,2+3 and Groups 4+5), but sufficient space to allow those in higher groups to pass those in lower groups, i.e Group 1 to pass Group 2 or 3. Gate 142 poses more of a problem due to the narrow queues and the need to allow a thoroughfare for other flights, so for the time being, groups 1,2 +3 are called together.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 11:18 am

My LBA ticket had a group on yesterday- it didn't on Sunday. It didn't board by group but an interesting development?
Old Jan 25, 2018, 3:52 pm

Programs: None anymore
Some more data points:

At MAN, gate 141, boarding by group worked well - hitherto, I dreaded this gate because it's very cramped. I was late arriving at the gate, so asked another passenger which groups were boarding... "1, 2 and 3" - don't know if they got called at once or not. It certainly worked like a charm compared to the previous fiasco, where if I had reached the gate area at the same time I would have been at the very back of the queue.

I don't know if it was an official idea, but the SCCM was on a serious charm offensive with all the Golds in Club.
Maybe the penny is dropping with BA. Or he was after a Golden Ticket.

At LHR, gate 23, groups called one by one. Best boarding experience I've had at LHR. Instead of the arms-race queue in Fast Track, I simply sat and waited until Group 1 was called.

I'm surprised, in a good way, that this seems to have been implemented properly. It's not substantially different from the previous incarnation, but that was rarely enforced properly and so it didn't work. Perhaps what helps it work well is that passengers in groups 4 and 5 know that they're not getting on early and so they are less tempted to crowd the gate area.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 1:36 pm

Programs: BA Gold
BA57 to Joburg tonight A380 from C gates. Group boarding strictly enforced including pre-checking people were in the correct priority queues
Old Jan 26, 2018, 1:47 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Generally speaking from trawling through this thread this does seem to be working reasonably well and as it's rolled out across the entire network it has to be an improvement. Hopefully in a year, maybe less it will be the norm like when flying AA where our american friends have it done extremely well and people are used to it.

I'm at EDI on Wednesday onto MIA so I'll report back my own tiny/little data point and add it to this thread.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by PETER01
....it will be the norm like when flying AA where our american friends have it done extremely well and people are used to it.
This would be utopia.

If BA can manage to emulate AA, I for one would be mightily happy.
PETER01 and aks120 like this.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 3:03 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by rossmacd
This would be utopia.

If BA can manage to emulate AA, I for one would be mightily happy.
Time will tell, fingers crossed it does Ross but I do feel optimistic and regular BA flyers will get used to it pretty soon. Of course the success is largely down to the gate agents getting it right as well as BA managing it as well as folks adhering to the group system but no doubt there will be instances of DYKWIA's on occasion.
rossmacd likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.