Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BED BUGS!!!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2018, 4:58 am

Originally Posted by navylad
Sorry OT but he reportedly spends £30k every year with BA but isn’t a GGL? So is averaging at least 10TP/£ wow
Back on topic, I was quite surprised looking at maps that show where bed bugs outbreaks occur (above)
He may be a GGL. I doubt the Mail goes to that level of differentiation. The story is pretty clear.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 6:18 am

Sorry OT but he reportedly spends £30k every year with BA but isn’t a GGL?
The majority of £30k spenders are not GGL.
orbitmic and vibrex like this.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 7:09 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by 710 77345
Quite. £30k doesn’t go very far on business travel, especially when seated at the front end of the aircraft. £30k sits about right at Gold. Of course TP runners can get many more TPs for their £, but TPs are not the motivation for the business traveller, TPs are the consequence of travel rather than the intent.
orbitmic, HilFly and vibrex like this.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 7:22 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
I appreciate what you are saying and can understand most routes LH are around the 5-6 TP per pound, not quite sure I would quite buy the majority are paying 10 TPs per pound on average though when flying J as oppose to F as he appears to be doing, particularly given most business travel is being more Frugal these days. If they are paying that then I hope it’s making business sense
Old Jan 14, 2018, 7:28 am

Programs: Cunard WorldClub-Gold,Silverseas Venetian society,Alitalia Mille miglia,SPG,Fairmont,IHG.
I was badly bitten on a JFK in J last year too..
Old Jan 14, 2018, 7:32 am

not quite sure I would quite buy the majority are paying 10 TPs per pound on average
They don't get that many! Most business fares are £3-5k, and earn you 280 TPs (or best case 320 for longer routes). You can easily be spending twice what the Daily Mail guy was doing, going to 15 meetings a year, and still not making GGL.

There are two spikes of GGL and CCR members - the super heavy fliers, and the travel enthusiasts. Normal people don't act like FTers.
HilFly likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 7:43 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold
On FT everyone apparently gets GGL for just £3000 😂
Old Jan 14, 2018, 7:53 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott Plat
They don't get that many! Most business fares are £3-5k, and earn you 280 TPs (or best case 320 for longer routes). You can easily be spending twice what the Daily Mail guy was doing, going to 15 meetings a year, and still not making GGL.

There are two spikes of GGL and CCR members - the super heavy fliers, and the travel enthusiasts. Normal people don't act like FTers.
Absolutely correct. My business travel costs were in the £40k pa region for a number of years and I never once made GGL. These were often last minute, business critical tickets to high cost destinations (West Coast USA, South Africa etc). FT is a million miles away from the realities of business travel in many respects. Suggesting an ex-EU ticket would have been laughed out of the office to be honest
Old Jan 14, 2018, 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by no longer atc
I was badly bitten on a JFK in J last year too..
you must have had the same stewardess as me then ��������
Old Jan 14, 2018, 7:58 pm

Programs: OW Emerald, *A gold, Skyteam elite plus, Hilton gold, SPG gold

but these are two issues are completely independent of each other as I understand it and we’ve had some great information up thread why insecticides are ineffective.
that is good indicator that BA is not doing enough to address the bed bug issue.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 1:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Sorry OT but he reportedly spends £30k every year with BA but isn’t a GGL? So is averaging at least 10TP/£ wow
Back on topic, I was quite surprised looking at maps that show where bed bugs outbreaks occur (above)
Apart from the fact that it doesn't seem to me to make any difference, I agree with 710 77345 and Tobias UK that a lot of GCH spend that sort of money on BA. The fact that Flyertalk attracts a lot of people who 'aim' for status and try to maximise it through such unusual behaviour as "mileage runs", "back to back", "ex-third countries" etc does not detract from the fact that for many of us (I have personally no doubt this must be a large majority or BAEC members), status, whatever it may be, is only a consequential effect of the flying we actually have to do.

In this case, the maths is pretty simple to spell out: the guy spent £4,000 on his return J ticket, not a particularly high figure for a long haul return J under business conditions (no Saturday night stay). so that is 280 TPs for £4,000. If that is par for the course for him, his £30k annual travel spend would net him just 2,100 TPs annually, well short of GGL renewal and less than half of what would be needed for GGL qualification in the first place.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 3:03 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Originally Posted by RolfD

that is good indicator that BA is not doing enough to address the bed bug issue.
but what exactly should they do? We’ve heard suggestions of spraying insecticides which we’ve been told up thread are ineffective against bed bugs. It is impractical to undertake bed bug treatment which, having seen a documentary on last year (which was actually looking at the potential for sniffer dogs to detect them in the future), takes the plane out of action for 6-10 hours at a time. Lets not get hysterical about it, obviously if your the individual affected, it is maddening, but this is hardly a daily occurance and BA transport 100k pax a day; I’m concerned by the number of people on this thread who are now convinced they will get bitten on there next flight when this simple is statistically very unlikely.

standard practice in the industry appears to being followed by BA, i.e. upon finding the incident quarteened the chairand blocking it until the chair can be removed and treated.

Last edited by navylad; Jan 15, 2018 at 3:25 am
Old Jan 15, 2018, 3:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
I’m concerned by the number of people on this thread who are now convinced they will get bitten on there next flight ...
Welcome to FT!

It's just like all the people on 2-4-1s who are now convinced that they will get downgraded on their next flight.

What would be genuinely interesting to know is whether BA actually experiences a higher incidence of bedbugs than other airlines. A higher incidence of media reporting is not the same thing.
Tobias-UK and navylad like this.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 3:37 am

Originally Posted by Globaliser
Welcome to FT!

It's just like all the people on 2-4-1s who are now convinced that they will get downgraded on their next flight.

What would be genuinely interesting to know is whether BA actually experiences a higher incidence of bedbugs than other airlines. A higher incidence of media reporting is not the same thing.
But why do we hear about it more often on BA?

I'm paying a lot of attention to the Lufthansa forums here and elsewhere now and I've not seen it.

With regards to downgrading on 2 for 1 vouchers, again, I haven't seen any reports of Lufthansa downgrading SEN's on their partner 50% off award (the closest analogy I can find), so they must be operating a different policy, or treatment in these cases.

Both of these events happen. They both appear to have more regularly than with other airlines as they are reported more often.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 3:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Dave_C
But why do we hear about it more often on BA?
That is exactly the question, and exactly the question whose answer I'm interested in.

The one thing that is clear is that the fact that we hear about it more often does not answer the question as to why we hear about it more often. As this concerns media reporting, the possibility that it happens more often is only one of the possible answers to the question.
navylad likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.