Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BED BUGS!!!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2018, 10:11 am

Programs: 3 Month Delta Plat, UA PP 2.4mm, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HH Lifetime Diamond, National EE
As someone who brought bedbugs home once I'm very OCD about checking my hotel room for them when I check in. It's airplanes that scare me. Not so much the seats, but the overhead bins and the cargo holds where luggage is in contact with other luggage. I'm surprised we don't hear more about bedbugs on planes!
Old Jan 5, 2018, 10:20 am

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
It's time to stop being politically correct and overly sensitive to some peoples' hurt feelings. There is a worldwide surge in bedbugs in part because of the restricted the use of the insecticides which were effective but were abused in jurisdictions where they were easily available and not subject to controlled and targeted use. We cannot go back to widespread use, but we can use safely under controlled circumstances. If some people are upset, they need not use the airline. The issue is that some countries can't follow pesticide instructions and we see that with antibiotics which were handed out like candy in some countries creating superbugs.
Chronic Bedbug infections also reflect poor cleanliness standards despite the assertions to the contrary. Current bed bug philosophy in the EU and North America (excluding Mexico) is similar to that of of head lice where we are told it is "normal" and that children should not be excluded. The "experts" have discounted the emotional trauma and strain inflicted on those who do not have body lice or bed bugs and who are forced to associate with infested subjects. It has to be all inclusive now. Well, despite some of the dismissive nature of several responses, this issue is of serious concern to many passengers.

The reality is that BA serves countries and hubs where bedbugs are endemic and those countries provide a reservoir of reinfestation. Too many people would be up in arms if all baggage and aircraft entering from these hot spots were subject to treatment/screening. We do it for hard goods and produce entering from those regions without protest. Appreciably, it would present a logistics nightmare, however, it is possible to pre-treat and clean seats after servicing the regions. It is not difficult to screen. There are animals which are able to pick up the scent of the bugs and they are used successfully in hotels, schools, hospitals movie theaters etc.

BA has a documented problem with bedbugs and has not acted appropriately. It needs a PR crisis to compel and force it to act. If the issue continues to be ignored and downplayed, that problem will occur, but only after thousands of BA customers are caused stress and emotional trauma.
Well said.
But such remedies will be rejected by pennypinchers under the PC guise but in actuality because it will add to costs. They would be hard pressed to find much more to "enhance" to offset these expenses.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 3:10 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Silver, Virgin Atlantic Red
I was unlucky enough to be bitten by bedbugs once. A telltale sign that it’s bedbugs and not another insect is that bites will be in a straight line. I woke up with thirty bites between my armpit and my elbow. The little critters literally walk in a straight line, biting as they go. Absolutely horrific!
Old Jan 5, 2018, 3:31 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by c502cid
As someone who brought bedbugs home once I'm very OCD about checking my hotel room for them when I check in. It's airplanes that scare me. Not so much the seats, but the overhead bins and the cargo holds where luggage is in contact with other luggage. I'm surprised we don't hear more about bedbugs on planes!
Wouldn't having well-sealing hard cases (Samsonite Aeris type, for instance, as it has sealing rubber around it - it's almost airtight, although not quite, and the standard model doesn't even come with internal fabric lining) and putting all soft items (like clothes) into sealed plastic bags prevent it from getting infected by virtue of restricted access?
Old Jan 5, 2018, 5:02 pm

Programs: Qantas WP, United Platinum
In response, I believe BA are rolling out their new premium pax pajamas as we speak.

Old Jan 5, 2018, 5:27 pm

There are plenty of resources around for what to check in a hotel room to try to identify/avoid bed bugs and I do pack clothes in Ziploc bags, but I haven’t found any useful advice for planes other than not to use the airline provided bedding (does that mean the bedding isn’t properly cleaned or stored and could be part of the problem?). I’m flying Club World for the first time this spring and am disappointed by the terrible reports I’m seeing, including bed bug incidents. For those of you that fly frequently, any tips on how to reduce risk of bringing bed bugs home from a flight? I normally don’t even use the bedding in economy, but at least would like a pillow since the whole point of flying CW was to be able to sleep. Thanks!
Old Jan 5, 2018, 6:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by ABlue
There are plenty of resources around for what to check in a hotel room to try to identify/avoid bed bugs and I do pack clothes in Ziploc bags, but I haven’t found any useful advice for planes other than not to use the airline provided bedding (does that mean the bedding isn’t properly cleaned or stored and could be part of the problem?). I’m flying Club World for the first time this spring and am disappointed by the terrible reports I’m seeing, including bed bug incidents. For those of you that fly frequently, any tips on how to reduce risk of bringing bed bugs home from a flight? I normally don’t even use the bedding in economy, but at least would like a pillow since the whole point of flying CW was to be able to sleep. Thanks!
There are no tips, you say your prayer, kiss your family, and you're going in and hope for the best, lol...The only tip is to keep an eye for suspect aircraft, like the G-ZBKA Boeing 789 reported above.
The 747-400 G-CIVT I believe was involved in the CPT-LHR infestation, and since it also flies to YVR, possibly in the recent YVR-LHR infestation.
Old Jan 6, 2018, 1:45 am

Originally Posted by pwacher
In response, I believe BA are rolling out their new premium pax pajamas as we speak.

Don't tell us.....for now this will only be on JFK flights. Will be rolled out to other routes sometime in the next decade.
Dave_C and T8191 like this.
Old Jan 6, 2018, 2:47 am

Programs: Gold, Some red card and some hotel cards.
Without saying its so could the OP have brought them on the plane themselves without knowing from somewhere else? At some point someone would have had to have a hitchhiker or 2 in the past for them to got in the plane in the first place?
I'm no expect but would you even know you had a couple on you unless they actually bit you?
Old Jan 6, 2018, 3:09 am

I am staying in a hotel and I did a goo search around my suite for any sign of bed bugs. Thankfully none. But I am officially paranoid and feeling itchy regardless.

I can just picture myself looking even more carefully at all aeroplane seats next time.

Would having leather seats be help with controlling bed bugs, and would that spraying that airlines do upon arrival in Australia from some places help against bed bugs? Does anyone know?
Old Jan 6, 2018, 3:10 am

I am staying in a hotel and I did a goo search around my suite for any sign of bed bugs. Thankfully none. But I am officially paranoid and feeling itchy regardless.

I can just picture myself looking even more carefully at all aeroplane seats next time.

Would having leather seats be help with controlling bed bugs, and would that spraying that airlines do upon arrival in Australia from some places help against bed bugs? Does anyone know?
Old Jan 6, 2018, 3:55 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
I think it is worth pointing out that although these incidents do happen on many airlines, the overwhelming majority do not experience such incidents in their lifetime of flying.

I doubt the australian bug spray would have an effect or else this would be the simple solution upon finding some onboard. As for leather seats, I've no idea, sounds plausible to reduce the risk but who knows.
ABlue likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2018, 4:00 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by ABlue
For those of you that fly frequently, any tips on how to reduce risk of bringing bed bugs home from a flight? I normally don’t even use the bedding in economy, but at least would like a pillow since the whole point of flying CW was to be able to sleep.
I fly Club World more than most, to the best of my knowledge I've never brought bed bugs back with me or seen one (on any airline actually). I don't do anything special to avoid them. There again I live on a working farm so there are plenty of creepy crawlies out there.
HIDDY and ABlue like this.
Old Jan 6, 2018, 4:15 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I fly Club World more than most, to the best of my knowledge I've never brought bed bugs back with me or seen one (on any airline actually). I don't do anything special to avoid them. There again I live on a working farm so there are plenty of creepy crawlies out there.
No, the farm is your second home; we all know your true home is at 38,000ft listening to Flower Duet by Lakme.
HIDDY, Gshumway and nancypants like this.
Old Jan 6, 2018, 4:53 am

Originally Posted by SonTech
Without saying its so could the OP have brought them on the plane themselves without knowing from somewhere else? At some point someone would have had to have a hitchhiker or 2 in the past for them to got in the plane in the first place?
I'm no expect but would you even know you had a couple on you unless they actually bit you?
The op said the seat was infested so given that the female bed bug lays about 200 eggs at 3 or 4 per day, the bed bugs must have been there some considerable time for the seat to be infested.

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia

The insecticide used on planes is either phenothrin or permethrin and is a knock down insecticide targeted for fruit flies, mosquitos, house flies etc. It does not work on bed bugs which are hiding in nooks and crannies waiting for their food source( they tend to feed in the dark) and are resistant to pyrthroid insecticides in any case certainly at the dosage levels approved by WHO for aircraft spraying.
Bedbugs particularly like to be undisturbed as they sleep and getting into a mattress or seat interior allows them to sleep waiting for their next meal so leather seat covers would help to a certain extent as they are easier to clean. However, the bed bugs can travel (crawl) a number of feet for their meal so it would not help for those bed bugs underneath the seat etc.
My guess is that the best seats for bedbugs to infest would be a First Class seat as there is much more soft furnishing than on a Club World seat and lots more space to spread out undisturbed.

LTN Phobia and T8191 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.