Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2018, 5:20 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: OWBA
Welcome to the thread. This is a continuation of the highly popular 2017 Tier Point thread. We keep track of other prices, as well as useful reference information for those planning tier point runs.

Please read the first few posts in this thread first as it contains lots of information which may answer your question.

This is a community-maintained wiki post. Please add important information to it or correct outdated information by clicking the "Edit" button below.

Current Promotions of Interest
Sale Fares
  • from JER to PDX IKN8T1S6 reported in this post, e.g. PDX £1,082, needs to be booked by 8 May, see linked post for details

Advanced Promotion Fares
  • from OTP to PHX ILN8C8S4 reported here, e.g. PHX - £1,296, see linked post for details
  • from AMS to BKK INCEU60 reported here, e.g. BKK - £1,340, see linked post for details

See here in post #9 for a 2018 archive of exEU sale fare, and see this post in the 2017 thread for last years’ archive of exEU sale fares.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This thread lists attractive tier point (TP) runs under £3 per TP grouped within different (departure) geographies

Please note that current availability is not guaranteed and all prices include taxes. Please use the following convention when adding tier point runs to this wiki post:
Date fare checked Price per Tier Point Total Price Total Tier Points Route Booking Classes Booking Channel Credit Notes (if applicable) Airlines

Please remember to:
  • Convert currencies to GBP, rounding to the nearest pound.
  • Post full routes and full booking classes.
  • Note any restrictions on booking in the Notes section.
  • List in order of price per tier point within the relevant departure area.

Please see the links at the bottom of the wiki for archives of runs from previous years.

From Europe
Code:
3Feb 200TPs DUB-LHR-HEL/HEL-LHR all I class ba.com
From North, Central and South America

23Sep £1.48/TP £650 (US$853) 440 TPs JFK-CLT/BOS-LAX-LAS and return all I class aa.com
6Sep £1.50/TP US$457 240TPs RIC-CLT-DCA-BOS, BOS-LGA/PHL-CLT-RIC all I class aa.com
Jan/Feb wide open £1.94/TP £700(US$883) 360 TPs SEA-CLT-MCO-PHX-SEA all I class aa.com

From Middle East, Asia and Australasia
18Jan £1.58/TP £883 560 CMB-xHKG-CGK return I cathaypacific.com ermen CX
28Feb £1.44/TP £575 400 MCT-DOH-BKK-DOH-MCT A/R/R/A travel.americanexpress.co.uk QR
21Feb £1.53/TP £860 560 HKG-CMB-MEL return I Expedia.com.hk Firemin UL
16Mar £1.22/TP £687 560 CGK-CMB-DXB return I srilankan.com Firemin UL
01Apr £0.87/TP £314 360 PEN-KUL-KTM return Malaysian.com cgtechuk MH
01Apr £1.19/TP £335 280 KUL-PER return Malaysian.com cgtechuk MH
01Apr £1.28/TP £335 360 PEN-KUL-PER return Malaysian.com cgtechuk MH
05Apr £2.00/TP £320 160 CAN-HKG-TPE return CathayPacific.com littlevoices CX/KA (flexible fare, bookable up to 24 hours in advance, allows stopovers, book with CX directly)

From Africa

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Need a year-end TP run (ex-LON) to make / retain status?
Some tips for searching for the year-end TP run for newcomers, the below is indicative only, but hopefully provides a bit of guidance for relatively straightforward runs ex-LON. Some information on how to use ITA matrix is in post #4 of this thread (or just click here) along with these ideas, might come in handy. Feel free to share results, problems or general questions in the thread as these may not always work and there might be better deals out there...

For overnight trips remember to check BA and Iberia for their flights and hotel option as well, can get hotel for almost no extra cost at times

Need 80 TPs or fewer
Club Europe return somewhere close by is best - DUB, AMS and JER usually cheapest along with UK domestic returns. Additionally you may find that trips in to mainland Europe require a one night stay whereas the cheapest domestic CE returns do not have any minimum stay so can be booked as a same day return. If doing a back to back AMS and JER can be easier than DUB for an immediate turnaround - more information can be found in the back to back thread listed in the forum dashboard. The BA.com low fare finder can be very useful.

If you need as few as 45 TPs you might consider booking economy flights and hoping for a proactive online upgrade offer - but they're not guaranteed to materialise (so not one if you have no more time left in your TP collection year). Alternatively, booking a return to one of the 40 tier point destinations with one way in CE and the return in ET (or vice versa if cheaper). UK domestic route, Bilbao, Jersey and Amsterdam seem the most cost effective for this.

Need 85-120 TPs
Iberia flights via MAD to regional Spanish airports will get you 120 TPs as the domestic Spanish flights are 20 TPs in business. Under £300 including hotel can be available. Check BIO, GRX, VLC, BCN, SVQ etc. Example here

Need 125-160 TPs
Take a look at the shorthaul plus routes earning 80 TPs each way in business listed in the first post of this thread, MLA, IST, HEL and RAK are usually available. If time sensitive take a look at BA flight and hotel option to HEL, where you can usually get the last BA flight out on a Saturday, airport hotel and first return Sunday for well under £500.

Alternative options include positioning to JER and flying JER-LGW-XXX (AMS usually works well and avoids switching airports).

Need more than 160 TPs
You'll most likely be heading north then - OSL or VNO via HEL will get you 240 TPs, as will JER-LGW/LHR-HEL e.g. LHR-HEL-OSL for £520.
DUB-LHR-HEL return (or return to LHR) is currently a very efficient way of hitting 200-240 TPs
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Historic information
2017 Archive
2016 Archive
2015 Archive (6 months Jul to Dec)
2015 Archive (6 months Jan to Jun)
2014 Archive
Print Wikipost

BA Tier Point Runs | 2018 master thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2018, 3:51 am

Originally Posted by samwilliams88
HI All,
I have a quick request, after achieving Bronze with my new job (we travel in WTP thankfully), I am 260 tier points away from Silver. Now I am 99% sure I am going to Chennai in the next few weeks again in WTP which will get me 180 tier points. Leaving me 80 tier points short. I am looking for a cheap back to back or overnight to get these tier points. Any good deals going for this little amount, or what would you do in my shoes? MY card year ends 8th August.
Thanks in Advanced
Hi samwilliams88, you haven't specified where you're based, but the following assumes you're convenient for Heathrow/Gatwick.

As you only need 80TP and you've got some time left before your year end, I'd say you should take a cheap Club Europe return anywhere in the UK/Europe for a weekend at your convenience. Luxemburg is often cheap on weekend (I think a lot of the cheapest fares, regardless of destination, may mandate a Saturday night stay) - for example £86 each way on 7th-8th April. Check the BA Low Price Finder, set the duration to same day or 1 night and the cabin to Business, and take your pick based on the convenience of flight times, etc.

For LUX as above: £171.70 on BA, perhaps a little less on an OTA, for the following
7th April BA416 LHR-LUX 07:25-09:40
8th April BA417 LUX-LHR 11:35-12:05 or BA419 LUX-LHR 21:30-21:50

You'd need to add in one night in a hotel in LUX on 7th. LUX flights depart from T3, so you'd have access to rather nice lounges (though how much you fancy partaking in alcoholic beverages at 7am, I don't know…)

There may be other options which are cheaper factoring in the overnight hotel, or that you're able to do in a day trip so negate the hotel.

Edit: I've been beaten to it by two others… I need to up my game!
Old Mar 14, 2018, 3:57 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
HI All,
I have a quick request, after achieving Bronze with my new job (we travel in WTP thankfully), I am 260 tier points away from Silver. Now I am 99% sure I am going to Chennai in the next few weeks again in WTP which will get me 180 tier points. Leaving me 80 tier points short. I am looking for a cheap back to back or overnight to get these tier points. Any good deals going for this little amount, or what would you do in my shoes? MY card year ends 8th August.
Thanks in Advanced
Working back from those tier points I'm going to assume you're in the UK (London?). 80 tier points is a simple return flight somewhere nearby in CE - Amsterdam, Paris, Edinburgh, whatever. Pick a place you like and/ or the cheapest you can find for either a weekend break or a back to back and you're all set.

Edit: Too slow.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 4:01 am

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
Thank you to all three of you for the prompt replies. I am an hour/hour 10 from Heathrow which is quicker and easier than Gatwick. So I may look at Luxemburg as never been there before. But now you have pointed out so many options, hard to pick. Ideally, it would be a day trip, but an overnight wouldn't do any harm.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 4:04 am

Programs: BA Silver, ZSL Silver
HI All,
Thanks in Advanced
The cheapest way I've got 80 TPs was buying B2B HBO singles LGW-AMS-LGW and then a POUG each way. Came out at something like £220 and no need for a hotel. I took the early flight and so was back at work before lunchtime.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 4:38 am

Programs: Newbie BA Gold
Thank you to all three of you for the prompt replies. I am an hour/hour 10 from Heathrow which is quicker and easier than Gatwick. So I may look at Luxemburg as never been there before. But now you have pointed out so many options, hard to pick. Ideally, it would be a day trip, but an overnight wouldn't do any harm.
I did a night in LUX just last week to get me over the line to gold. A night was just the right amount and was very pleasent. Day trips to LUX, AMS or otherwise can be done but do cost a bit more without a Saturday night.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 5:03 am

Originally Posted by benjai
I did a night in LUX just last week to get me over the line to gold. A night was just the right amount and was very pleasent. Day trips to LUX, AMS or otherwise can be done but do cost a bit more without a Saturday night.
Was there much to do/recommend for the day and night?
Old Mar 14, 2018, 5:13 am

Programs: Newbie BA Gold
Was there much to do/recommend for the day and night?
I went there with missus and 7yr old and I'd say there's just enough to keep you occupied for a day, but I'm quiet easily satisfied in any foreign city. The town centre is tiny, maybe 2 streets up and 2 across. Bit down the valley is supposed to be nice but we didn't have time. Think you should easily be able to spend a few hours down there.

If you haven't been then I think its worth going for a night. If you have, then something like AMS would be more interesting. And of course LHR-LUX goes from T3 which is always nice.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 6:23 am

I went there with missus and 7yr old and I'd say there's just enough to keep you occupied for a day, but I'm quiet easily satisfied in any foreign city. The town centre is tiny, maybe 2 streets up and 2 across. Bit down the valley is supposed to be nice but we didn't have time. Think you should easily be able to spend a few hours down there.

If you haven't been then I think its worth going for a night. If you have, then something like AMS would be more interesting. And of course LHR-LUX goes from T3 which is always nice.
Cool, Thank you!
Old Mar 14, 2018, 8:10 am

Programs: BA GGL, CCR, Hilton Diamond, MLife Platinum, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by rossmacd
With the overnight schedule change butchering by AA, the information posted regarding the LAX-PTY fare needs to be updated. The above information is still valid, however, you will need to use the following routing codes in order to successfully search for something similar:

Outbound routing codes: AA501 LAS AA2143 PHX AA782,AA1658 PHL AA1710 RDU AA2647 CLT AA1380,AA1637 MCO,JAX,ATL,TPA AA4696,AA2807 MIA AA959
Outbound extension codes: MAXCONNECT 1000

Return routing codes: AA960 MIA AA1362,AA4696,AA2807 MCO,JAX,TPA AA561,AA1637,AA2479 CLT AA595 RDU AA2196 PHL AA474,AA1970 PHX AA2063 LAS AA2307
Return extension codes: MAXCONNECT 1000

This will achieve something like this:

Trying to recreate this for a trip around September 4th-9th, never used Matrix only google and AA multi-city. I have copy/pasted the routing and filled out the boxes with the same information but I am just getting 'no flights available' any help appreciated.

Many thanks in advance
Old Mar 14, 2018, 8:13 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by MANtraveller
Trying to recreate this for a trip around September 4th-9th, never used Matrix only google and AA multi-city. I have copy/pasted the routing and filled out the boxes with the same information but I am just getting 'no flights available' any help appreciated.

Many thanks in advance
Firstly, I would check that the flight numbers correspond to the days that you are actually wanting to fly. It could be that the above flight numbers only operate on certain days if the week or have different times on different days.

I’m afraid you may need to do some leg work first to get what you are after.

Edit. Ross did post a follow up on this at some point so it’s worth checking.

rossmacd and MANtraveller like this.

Last edited by madfish; Mar 14, 2018 at 8:19 am
Old Mar 14, 2018, 8:27 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
@MANtraveller I've literally just copied the routing given by rossmacd in the post you have quoted and it did price up on matrix.

A couple of pointers:
Remember to also add LAX as the start point in 'Departing from' and PTY in 'Destination'
Remember to add maxconnect 1000 into the extension code
Then select business as cabin.

I also selected specific dates and then =/-2 days

This brought up various options which you can then explore in more detail.

Good luck
rossmacd likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 8:35 am

Programs: BA Silver, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by MANtraveller

Many thanks in advance
I would also remove specific flight numbers and just put "AA " before the list of cities. I realized that sometimes removing RDU helps the search, but that'd give you 40TP less.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 8:49 am

Programs: BA GGL, CCR, Hilton Diamond, MLife Platinum, Hyatt Explorist
Thanks guys - I changed LA (all airports) to LAX specifically and added +/- 2 days and woo hoo !!
rossmacd and l31g like this.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 9:18 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, HH Diamond, Avis President's Club

I've been monitoring this cheap CE fare and you can throw in a 5* hotel pretty cheaply. There's an early Saturday flight and evening Sunday flight so it works out really well as a nice weekend luxury break with a few Avios and TPs thrown in for good measure.
squawk likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 9:30 am

Originally Posted by Foltan
I've been monitoring this cheap CE fare and you can throw in a 5* hotel pretty cheaply. There's an early Saturday flight and evening Sunday flight so it works out really well as a nice weekend luxury break with a few Avios and TPs thrown in for good measure.
That's a very good point Foltan - it's always worth checking to see whether a "BA Holidays" hotel and/or car hire is only fractionally more (or indeed cheaper). On a recent trip to Norway, the base economy flights NCL-LHR-OSL were just over £200; for an extra £18 (yes, eighteen pounds!) we got three nights in a perfectly acceptable hotel. It would have only been £305 for 3 nights in the Radisson Blu, or £33/night…

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.