Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2018, 5:20 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: OWBA
Welcome to the thread. This is a continuation of the highly popular 2017 Tier Point thread. We keep track of other prices, as well as useful reference information for those planning tier point runs.

Please read the first few posts in this thread first as it contains lots of information which may answer your question.

This is a community-maintained wiki post. Please add important information to it or correct outdated information by clicking the "Edit" button below.

Current Promotions of Interest
Sale Fares
  • from JER to PDX IKN8T1S6 reported in this post, e.g. PDX £1,082, needs to be booked by 8 May, see linked post for details

Advanced Promotion Fares
  • from OTP to PHX ILN8C8S4 reported here, e.g. PHX - £1,296, see linked post for details
  • from AMS to BKK INCEU60 reported here, e.g. BKK - £1,340, see linked post for details

See here in post #9 for a 2018 archive of exEU sale fare, and see this post in the 2017 thread for last years’ archive of exEU sale fares.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This thread lists attractive tier point (TP) runs under £3 per TP grouped within different (departure) geographies

Please note that current availability is not guaranteed and all prices include taxes. Please use the following convention when adding tier point runs to this wiki post:
Date fare checked Price per Tier Point Total Price Total Tier Points Route Booking Classes Booking Channel Credit Notes (if applicable) Airlines

Please remember to:
  • Convert currencies to GBP, rounding to the nearest pound.
  • Post full routes and full booking classes.
  • Note any restrictions on booking in the Notes section.
  • List in order of price per tier point within the relevant departure area.

Please see the links at the bottom of the wiki for archives of runs from previous years.

From Europe
Code:
3Feb 200TPs DUB-LHR-HEL/HEL-LHR all I class ba.com
From North, Central and South America

23Sep £1.48/TP £650 (US$853) 440 TPs JFK-CLT/BOS-LAX-LAS and return all I class aa.com
6Sep £1.50/TP US$457 240TPs RIC-CLT-DCA-BOS, BOS-LGA/PHL-CLT-RIC all I class aa.com
Jan/Feb wide open £1.94/TP £700(US$883) 360 TPs SEA-CLT-MCO-PHX-SEA all I class aa.com

From Middle East, Asia and Australasia
18Jan £1.58/TP £883 560 CMB-xHKG-CGK return I cathaypacific.com ermen CX
28Feb £1.44/TP £575 400 MCT-DOH-BKK-DOH-MCT A/R/R/A travel.americanexpress.co.uk QR
21Feb £1.53/TP £860 560 HKG-CMB-MEL return I Expedia.com.hk Firemin UL
16Mar £1.22/TP £687 560 CGK-CMB-DXB return I srilankan.com Firemin UL
01Apr £0.87/TP £314 360 PEN-KUL-KTM return Malaysian.com cgtechuk MH
01Apr £1.19/TP £335 280 KUL-PER return Malaysian.com cgtechuk MH
01Apr £1.28/TP £335 360 PEN-KUL-PER return Malaysian.com cgtechuk MH
05Apr £2.00/TP £320 160 CAN-HKG-TPE return CathayPacific.com littlevoices CX/KA (flexible fare, bookable up to 24 hours in advance, allows stopovers, book with CX directly)

From Africa

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Need a year-end TP run (ex-LON) to make / retain status?
Some tips for searching for the year-end TP run for newcomers, the below is indicative only, but hopefully provides a bit of guidance for relatively straightforward runs ex-LON. Some information on how to use ITA matrix is in post #4 of this thread (or just click here) along with these ideas, might come in handy. Feel free to share results, problems or general questions in the thread as these may not always work and there might be better deals out there...

For overnight trips remember to check BA and Iberia for their flights and hotel option as well, can get hotel for almost no extra cost at times

Need 80 TPs or fewer
Club Europe return somewhere close by is best - DUB, AMS and JER usually cheapest along with UK domestic returns. Additionally you may find that trips in to mainland Europe require a one night stay whereas the cheapest domestic CE returns do not have any minimum stay so can be booked as a same day return. If doing a back to back AMS and JER can be easier than DUB for an immediate turnaround - more information can be found in the back to back thread listed in the forum dashboard. The BA.com low fare finder can be very useful.

If you need as few as 45 TPs you might consider booking economy flights and hoping for a proactive online upgrade offer - but they're not guaranteed to materialise (so not one if you have no more time left in your TP collection year). Alternatively, booking a return to one of the 40 tier point destinations with one way in CE and the return in ET (or vice versa if cheaper). UK domestic route, Bilbao, Jersey and Amsterdam seem the most cost effective for this.

Need 85-120 TPs
Iberia flights via MAD to regional Spanish airports will get you 120 TPs as the domestic Spanish flights are 20 TPs in business. Under £300 including hotel can be available. Check BIO, GRX, VLC, BCN, SVQ etc. Example here

Need 125-160 TPs
Take a look at the shorthaul plus routes earning 80 TPs each way in business listed in the first post of this thread, MLA, IST, HEL and RAK are usually available. If time sensitive take a look at BA flight and hotel option to HEL, where you can usually get the last BA flight out on a Saturday, airport hotel and first return Sunday for well under £500.

Alternative options include positioning to JER and flying JER-LGW-XXX (AMS usually works well and avoids switching airports).

Need more than 160 TPs
You'll most likely be heading north then - OSL or VNO via HEL will get you 240 TPs, as will JER-LGW/LHR-HEL e.g. LHR-HEL-OSL for £520.
DUB-LHR-HEL return (or return to LHR) is currently a very efficient way of hitting 200-240 TPs
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Historic information
2017 Archive
2016 Archive
2015 Archive (6 months Jul to Dec)
2015 Archive (6 months Jan to Jun)
2014 Archive
Print Wikipost

BA Tier Point Runs | 2018 master thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2018, 9:02 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by Winchy78
I'm looking at going to Singapore in July and on the Amsterdam deal have found AMS-LHR-BKK-SIN-LHR-AMS for around 1300 - my question is are there any ways to eke out more TPs on this fare without adding hugely to the price?

Any pointers greatly appreciated!
I'm doing AMS-LHR-SIN-BKK-SIN-LHR-AMS in July for £1407 (480 TPs) with 2 nights in Singapore and 1 in Bangkok. There were other options to make the SIN stop longer for around £1500, and you can make the BKK stop as short as a 2 hour layover.

Don't forget LHR-SIN is 160TPs whereas LHR-BKK is 140.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 9:20 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AF-KL Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Silver
Doing LHR - LUX in CE rtn (80 TP) in April for £172.00 originally but used 12,000 avios to knock off £100 and paid £72.00 instead which I know is a bad move!
Old Mar 23, 2018, 9:51 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Stena Gold
Originally Posted by Frequent flyer 101
HEL is the easiest airport in the world to connect through. As you arrive from a schengen airport (PRG) there won't be any security. Just pass through the passport control and you can be at your new gate in 5 minutes. The risk is that they automatically rebook your if the minimum connection time is missed.

Is it all booked on one booking? IF so, you should be fine. Even if they try to put you on the direct finnair flight to JFK, you could claim the ORC through BA (I'm 90% sure of this, but maybe someone else could confirm). There are plenty of HEL-LHR-JFK options throughout the day either way.
Well that didn’t end up as expected.....

Flight 70 minutes late
Landed at the far end of the terminal from where I needed to be
Airbridge broken
Stairs at the back of the plane (guess where I was waiting)
Bussed even further from my gate

So no chance of getting there in time

The easy re-route via LHR didn’t work as the BA flight was full.

So, now going straight to SFO- my final destination, via HKG!

At least I get to try the A350 on both AY & CX.

Any idea how to get ORC (HEL-LHR-JFK-LAX-SFO) for that lot?
Old Mar 23, 2018, 9:59 am

Programs: GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by Gastrocnemius

Flight 70 minutes late
Airbridge broken

Wow
ringingup likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 10:25 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody

Flight 70 minutes late
Airbridge broken

I'm doing SFO-PRG in a few weeks and would think this was a great result [I would get more TPs too].

The GF, on the other hand, would be ... displeased.

Last edited by etiene; Mar 23, 2018 at 10:26 am Reason: TP miscalc - SFO-HKG is 160
Old Mar 23, 2018, 11:45 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond

Flight 70 minutes late
Airbridge broken

inteteresting re-route, you may earn more avios going that way around! Once it’s all posted probably worth a call if you want to do ORC.
Gastrocnemius likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 12:08 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt 5+ Badge

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Mucci des Salons Ouvrants

Flight 70 minutes late
Airbridge broken

I like to think you listened to us mad people in the lounge the other week when you came up with this re route suggestion - that is A Level!

I am a little bit jealous!

Regards

aks120
Gastrocnemius likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 1:43 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
How does your arrival time in SFO compare? EU261 may be available as well to help ease the blow.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 1:51 pm

Programs: Mucci, BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Stena Gold
Originally Posted by madfish
How does your arrival time in SFO compare? EU261 may be available as well to help ease the blow.
I get there 40 minutes after originally planned!

Which is nice, as I’m going out to dinner with a friend that evening
EDIflyer likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 2:01 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold

I get there 40 minutes after originally planned!

Which is nice, as I’m going out to dinner with a friend that evening
That’s not too bad and hopefully you will get to enjoy some time in the lounge at HKG as well.

I assume that you were booked in J rather than F (FY don’t do F, do they).
Old Mar 24, 2018, 7:17 am

Programs: BA Silver, ZSL Silver
Originally Posted by gustavmahler
Is there anything cost-effective out of BNA or ORD that my wife could do in late August/early September for about 300-350 points? The ex-EU J fares are about £1700, which is more than we'd want to spend. However, ex-OSL in WTP, UuA'd could be had for £665 (+c.£95 in YQ). Depending on the routing and positioning flights, she'd be between 150 and 315 short of Silver (probably closer to 300 than 150). I thought doing something in the US might be more cost-effective than in Europe since she'd be over there.

EDIT: Actually it could be more flexible, as the WTP fare seems to work with a lot of destinations, so as long as she ends up at BNA/SDF in the middle there might be a lot of options.
Just wondering if anyone had any sage advice on this, as I'm not great at finding these US domestic fares on ITA. Her dates are actually pretty flexible, so we could look at say October, and she's happy to fly into any city on the ex-OSL WTP deal, which seems to be a lot (LAX is included for example). She just needs to end up in BNA/SDF for the main part of her trip.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 11:49 am

Currently sat on 2180 TPs and my year ends 08th June

Debating whether to do a quick LHR - DUB / DUB - LHR - HEL - LHR - DUB / DUB - LHR for around £500 to get me to 2500 TPs and the GUF2 voucher (which i would value at around £1000)

Or with rather more ambition go for 1320 and the 2 GUF1 vouchers

Any ideas for 1320 TPs at around £1.80-£2.00 each for a trip that could be done in 4-5 days across a weekend?
Old Mar 24, 2018, 12:04 pm

Programs: GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by AndyUK_101
Currently sat on 2180 TPs and my year ends 08th June

Debating whether to do a quick LHR - DUB / DUB - LHR - HEL - LHR - DUB / DUB - LHR for around £500 to get me to 2500 TPs and the GUF2 voucher (which i would value at around £1000)

Or with rather more ambition go for 1320 and the 2 GUF1 vouchers

Any ideas for 1320 TPs at around £1.80-£2.00 each for a trip that could be done in 4-5 days across a weekend?
Maybe an OTP-PHX with a nested LAX-PTY?

​​​​​ Not sure about timings but should be under 2k and could be pushed to 1320 easily
Old Mar 24, 2018, 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by teledude
Maybe an OTP-PHX with a nested LAX-PTY?

Not sure about timings but should be under 2k and could be pushed to 1320 easily
That was my first thought but i don't think the OTP - PHX fare is available for the dates i need

LAX - PTY would be 840 max for around £900ish leaving me needing a 480 from the trip to LAX, ideally around £1200 ish

Last edited by AndyUK_101; Mar 25, 2018 at 4:55 am Reason: typo
Old Mar 24, 2018, 11:07 pm

Originally Posted by madfish

That’s not too bad and hopefully you will get to enjoy some time in the lounge at HKG as well.

I assume that you were booked in J rather than F (FY don’t do F, do they).
very enjoyable trip after the HEL issue

i like the A350- hard product slightly better on CX- the footwell doesn’t curve so much, although the storage is better on AY.

I really like the new CX lounge, The Deck. Similar to their T3 lounges, wth lots of different seating areas, and a noodle/ dim sum counter

Here’s hoping for less, drama on the way back!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.