BA Tier Point Runs | 2018 master thread

    Hide Wikipost
Old Dec 17, 18, 11:12 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: OWBA
Wiki Link
Welcome to the thread. This is a continuation of the highly popular 2017 Tier Point thread. We keep track of other prices, as well as useful reference information for those planning tier point runs.

Please read the first few posts in this thread first as it contains lots of information which may answer your question.

This is a community-maintained wiki post. Please add important information to it or correct outdated information by clicking the "Edit" button below.

Current Promotions of Interest
Sale Fares
  • from JER to PDX IKN8T1S6 reported in this post, e.g. PDX £1,082, needs to be booked by 8 May, see linked post for details

Advanced Promotion Fares
  • from OTP to PHX ILN8C8S4 reported here, e.g. PHX - £1,296, see linked post for details
  • from AMS to BKK INCEU60 reported here, e.g. BKK - £1,340, see linked post for details

See here in post #9 for a 2018 archive of exEU sale fare, and see this post in the 2017 thread for last yearsí archive of exEU sale fares.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This thread lists attractive tier point (TP) runs under £3 per TP grouped within different (departure) geographies

Please note that current availability is not guaranteed and all prices include taxes. Please use the following convention when adding tier point runs to this wiki post:
Date fare checked Price per Tier Point Total Price Total Tier Points Route Booking Classes Booking Channel Credit Notes (if applicable) Airlines

Please remember to:
  • Convert currencies to GBP, rounding to the nearest pound.
  • Post full routes and full booking classes.
  • Note any restrictions on booking in the Notes section.
  • List in order of price per tier point within the relevant departure area.

Please see the links at the bottom of the wiki for archives of runs from previous years.

From Europe
Code:
3Feb 200TPs DUB-LHR-HEL/HEL-LHR all I class ba.com
From North, Central and South America

23Sep £1.48/TP £650 (US$853) 440 TPs JFK-CLT/BOS-LAX-LAS and return all I class aa.com
6Sep £1.50/TP US$457 240TPs RIC-CLT-DCA-BOS, BOS-LGA/PHL-CLT-RIC all I class aa.com
Jan/Feb wide open £1.94/TP £700(US$883) 360 TPs SEA-CLT-MCO-PHX-SEA all I class aa.com



From Middle East, Asia and Australasia
18Jan £1.58/TP £883 560 CMB-xHKG-CGK return I cathaypacific.com ermen CX
28Feb £1.44/TP £575 400 MCT-DOH-BKK-DOH-MCT A/R/R/A travel.americanexpress.co.uk QR
21Feb £1.53/TP £860 560 HKG-CMB-MEL return I Expedia.com.hk Firemin UL
16Mar £1.22/TP £687 560 CGK-CMB-DXB return I srilankan.com Firemin UL
01Apr £0.87/TP £314 360 PEN-KUL-KTM return Malaysian.com cgtechuk MH
01Apr £1.19/TP £335 280 KUL-PER return Malaysian.com cgtechuk MH
01Apr £1.28/TP £335 360 PEN-KUL-PER return Malaysian.com cgtechuk MH
05Apr £2.00/TP £320 160 CAN-HKG-TPE return CathayPacific.com littlevoices CX/KA (flexible fare, bookable up to 24 hours in advance, allows stopovers, book with CX directly)

From Africa


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Need a year-end TP run (ex-LON) to make / retain status?
Some tips for searching for the year-end TP run for newcomers, the below is indicative only, but hopefully provides a bit of guidance for relatively straightforward runs ex-LON. Some information on how to use ITA matrix is in post #4 of this thread (or just click here) along with these ideas, might come in handy. Feel free to share results, problems or general questions in the thread as these may not always work and there might be better deals out there...

For overnight trips remember to check BA and Iberia for their flights and hotel option as well, can get hotel for almost no extra cost at times

Need 80 TPs or fewer
Club Europe return somewhere close by is best - DUB, AMS and JER usually cheapest along with UK domestic returns. Additionally you may find that trips in to mainland Europe require a one night stay whereas the cheapest domestic CE returns do not have any minimum stay so can be booked as a same day return. If doing a back to back AMS and JER can be easier than DUB for an immediate turnaround - more information can be found in the back to back thread listed in the forum dashboard. The BA.com low fare finder can be very useful.

If you need as few as 45 TPs you might consider booking economy flights and hoping for a proactive online upgrade offer - but they're not guaranteed to materialise (so not one if you have no more time left in your TP collection year). Alternatively, booking a return to one of the 40 tier point destinations with one way in CE and the return in ET (or vice versa if cheaper). UK domestic route, Bilbao, Jersey and Amsterdam seem the most cost effective for this.

Need 85-120 TPs
Iberia flights via MAD to regional Spanish airports will get you 120 TPs as the domestic Spanish flights are 20 TPs in business. Under £300 including hotel can be available. Check BIO, GRX, VLC, BCN, SVQ etc. Example here

Need 125-160 TPs
Take a look at the shorthaul plus routes earning 80 TPs each way in business listed in the first post of this thread, MLA, IST, HEL and RAK are usually available. If time sensitive take a look at BA flight and hotel option to HEL, where you can usually get the last BA flight out on a Saturday, airport hotel and first return Sunday for well under £500.

Alternative options include positioning to JER and flying JER-LGW-XXX (AMS usually works well and avoids switching airports).

Need more than 160 TPs
You'll most likely be heading north then - OSL or VNO via HEL will get you 240 TPs, as will JER-LGW/LHR-HEL e.g. LHR-HEL-OSL for £520.
DUB-LHR-HEL return (or return to LHR) is currently a very efficient way of hitting 200-240 TPs
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Historic information
2017 Archive
2016 Archive
2015 Archive (6 months Jul to Dec)
2015 Archive (6 months Jan to Jun)
2014 Archive
Print Wikipost

Closed Thread

Old Oct 8, 18, 4:56 am
  #4216  
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis PC
Posts: 24
Originally Posted by flipper118 View Post
What is the cheapest routing from U.K. preferably from MAN to reach Silver?
Wait for a Qatar sale I would say and head East
flipper118 likes this.
thomasd21 is offline  
Old Oct 8, 18, 4:58 am
  #4217  
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 3,410
Originally Posted by flipper118 View Post
What is the cheapest routing from U.K. preferably from MAN to reach Silver?
Starting at 0 TP....?
flashware is offline  
Old Oct 8, 18, 5:47 am
  #4218  
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 353
Originally Posted by KARFA View Post
its not relevant who you fly with. What is relevant is where you arrive from and where you are flying to.

If you are arriving from county A and going to country C then TWOV may apply. If you are arriving from country A and heading backmto the same then this isnít deemed a transit and TWOV may not apply so you might need a visa otherwise you will be denied boarding.
Ahh, that makes sense. Sorry, I'm still pretty new to all of this!
RG1X is online now  
Old Oct 8, 18, 6:02 am
  #4219  
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: uk
Programs: Accor Silver, HHonours Silver, Carlson Gold, BA Blue
Posts: 220
Originally Posted by flashware View Post
Starting at 0 TP....?
yes, not a TP to my name
flipper118 is offline  
Old Oct 8, 18, 6:05 am
  #4220  
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 3,410
Originally Posted by flipper118 View Post


yes, not a TP to my name
Well you'll need 4 BA flights at minimum, so I would suggest an ex-EU (something like HEL-DOH-BKK or ARN-DOH-BKK for example) on Qatar and then book your positioning flights from Manchester in Club Europe one way and route via London to satisfy the 4 BA sectors.
flipper118 likes this.
flashware is offline  
Old Oct 8, 18, 6:27 am
  #4221  
IHG Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Middle of Nowhere
Programs: Lowly BAEC Bronze, VS, IHG Platinum, Hotels.com Gold
Posts: 223
Originally Posted by flipper118 View Post
What is the cheapest routing from U.K. preferably from MAN to reach Silver?
Another option is BA (economy) to Dubai via London for your 4 BA flights (£530?), then the Dubai - Jakarta run on Sri Lankan in biz (£665).

It's slightly risky due to separate tickets, but if you have time, you can build in some leeway.

Or go WTP to Dubai if you think you might make a push for gold.
pjh981 and flipper118 like this.
rhivolution is offline  
Old Oct 8, 18, 6:48 am
  #4222  
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis PC
Posts: 24
Does anyone know if you can leave LHR if you arrive late one evening but have a flight on the same ticket early the next morning. For example, arrive into LHR 6.10pm but flight out isnít until 7.35am the next morning. Clearly donít want to be in the airport all night!

Also, will the check in crew happily check your bag to LHR only so you can collect it for that overnight at the airport?

If you then then donít arrive for the flight at 7.35am the next day, say, do you still get the Avios and TPs for the leg flown that landed at 6.10pm?

Thanks
thomasd21 is offline  
Old Oct 8, 18, 6:55 am
  #4223  
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 3,410
Originally Posted by thomasd21 View Post
Does anyone know if you can leave LHR if you arrive late one evening but have a flight on the same ticket early the next morning. For example, arrive into LHR 6.10pm but flight out isnít until 7.35am the next morning. Clearly donít want to be in the airport all night!

Also, will the check in crew happily check your bag to LHR only so you can collect it for that overnight at the airport?

If you then then donít arrive for the flight at 7.35am the next day, say, do you still get the Avios and TPs for the leg flown that landed at 6.10pm?

Thanks
Yes, that's not a problem re: flight times. Not sure on checking the bag, but why not just not check it in the first place and only check it the next morning instead?

Yes, assuming you take the first flight you would earn Avios and TP's for it.
flashware is offline  
Old Oct 9, 18, 5:41 am
  #4224  
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 38
Hi folks, I'm going on this run next month with UL: https://goo.gl/flights/CgRpy

I've an overnight Sunday 11th at CMB. Question, what are the rules / limitations on leaving the airport to find a hotel? Do I need a transit visa?

Cheers
Rob
chapers is offline  
Old Oct 9, 18, 5:46 am
  #4225  
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: 15 minutes west of LHR, Stockholm, or somewhere inbetween.
Programs: BAEC Gold GGL, CCR, GfL, Mucci des Recherches des Consommations Exotiques.
Posts: 2,463
Hi All,

After a long time away from this forum, due to work and lifestyle changes, I've now cut down on my work related travel.

Having got used to GGL + CCR for quite a few years, I'd hate to loose my CCR card.

I'm therefore thinking about a few Tier Point runs.

I've today started my new membership year, so I have a year in which to accumulate my 5000+ tier points, though a fair few will still come from work related trips and leasure trips.

What are the most economic tier point runs at the moment and which are likely to come up over the next few months?

As I've not really done this before, except for choosing an indirect OneWorld routing, rather than a direct non OneWorld flight, any advise would be greatly appreciated.

bjorns
bjorns is offline  
Old Oct 9, 18, 6:18 am
  #4226  
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Beijing
Programs: SK EBD, BAEC GGL
Posts: 617
Originally Posted by chapers View Post
Hi folks, I'm going on this run next month with UL: https://goo.gl/flights/CgRpy

I've an overnight Sunday 11th at CMB. Question, what are the rules / limitations on leaving the airport to find a hotel? Do I need a transit visa?

Cheers
Rob
You will need s transit visa - for a stay of less than 48 hours this is free (no visa fee or processing fee). It can be done at the airport (took about 5 minutes when I did this earlier this year) but can also I think be done in advance online (just be careful to navigate to the official website - there are lots of agency websites that will try and charge you a fee!).

Good idea also to call UL and see if you are eligible for a free transit hotel (probably not as they codeshare I think with the earlier Etihad flight, but worth asking).
GinFizz is offline  
Old Oct 9, 18, 6:31 am
  #4227  
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 38
Originally Posted by GinFizz View Post
You will need s transit visa - for a stay of less than 48 hours this is free (no visa fee or processing fee). It can be done at the airport (took about 5 minutes when I did this earlier this year) but can also I think be done in advance online (just be careful to navigate to the official website - there are lots of agency websites that will try and charge you a fee!).

Good idea also to call UL and see if you are eligible for a free transit hotel (probably not as they codeshare I think with the earlier Etihad flight, but worth asking).
GinFizz, many thanks!
chapers is offline  
Old Oct 9, 18, 6:47 am
  #4228  
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: MPL, DXB
Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, EY Gold, AZ Freccia Alata Plus, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 15
Originally Posted by rhivolution View Post
Another option is BA (economy) to Dubai via London for your 4 BA flights (£530?), then the Dubai - Jakarta run on Sri Lankan in biz (£665).

It's slightly risky due to separate tickets, but if you have time, you can build in some leeway.

Or go WTP to Dubai if you think you might make a push for gold.
I came to this thread to post the fact I'd just booked DXB-CMB-CGK-CMB-DXB for 3,125 Dhs (£652) but it's already being discussed I see. Despite the advertised UL sale fares from AUH, it looked more expensive than DXB and all the AUH-CMB flights seem to be smaller aircraft and haven't got the lie-flat seats that DXB-CMB A330s have. The 330 config for DXB-CMB with the herringbone layout is preferable to the older style one.
iambic is offline  
Old Oct 9, 18, 7:16 am
  #4229  
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis PC
Posts: 24
Originally Posted by iambic View Post
I came to this thread to post the fact I'd just booked DXB-CMB-CGK-CMB-DXB for 3,125 Dhs (£652) but it's already being discussed I see. Despite the advertised UL sale fares from AUH, it looked more expensive than DXB and all the AUH-CMB flights seem to be smaller aircraft and haven't got the lie-flat seats that DXB-CMB A330s have. The 330 config for DXB-CMB with the herringbone layout is preferable to the older style one.
Is the £652 quoted value correct? I can only find that trip for £1,663

thanks
thomasd21 is offline  
Old Oct 9, 18, 7:25 am
  #4230  
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: London
Programs: BA Gold / OW Emerald
Posts: 528
Originally Posted by thomasd21 View Post


Is the £652 quoted value correct? I can only find that trip for £1,663

thanks
It was, but it may be long gone now.
thebigben is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread