Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2018, 5:20 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: OWBA
Welcome to the thread. This is a continuation of the highly popular 2017 Tier Point thread. We keep track of other prices, as well as useful reference information for those planning tier point runs.

Please read the first few posts in this thread first as it contains lots of information which may answer your question.

This is a community-maintained wiki post. Please add important information to it or correct outdated information by clicking the "Edit" button below.

Current Promotions of Interest
Sale Fares
  • from JER to PDX IKN8T1S6 reported in this post, e.g. PDX £1,082, needs to be booked by 8 May, see linked post for details

Advanced Promotion Fares
  • from OTP to PHX ILN8C8S4 reported here, e.g. PHX - £1,296, see linked post for details
  • from AMS to BKK INCEU60 reported here, e.g. BKK - £1,340, see linked post for details

See here in post #9 for a 2018 archive of exEU sale fare, and see this post in the 2017 thread for last years’ archive of exEU sale fares.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This thread lists attractive tier point (TP) runs under £3 per TP grouped within different (departure) geographies

Please note that current availability is not guaranteed and all prices include taxes. Please use the following convention when adding tier point runs to this wiki post:
Date fare checked Price per Tier Point Total Price Total Tier Points Route Booking Classes Booking Channel Credit Notes (if applicable) Airlines

Please remember to:
  • Convert currencies to GBP, rounding to the nearest pound.
  • Post full routes and full booking classes.
  • Note any restrictions on booking in the Notes section.
  • List in order of price per tier point within the relevant departure area.

Please see the links at the bottom of the wiki for archives of runs from previous years.

From Europe
Code:
3Feb 200TPs DUB-LHR-HEL/HEL-LHR all I class ba.com
From North, Central and South America

23Sep £1.48/TP £650 (US$853) 440 TPs JFK-CLT/BOS-LAX-LAS and return all I class aa.com
6Sep £1.50/TP US$457 240TPs RIC-CLT-DCA-BOS, BOS-LGA/PHL-CLT-RIC all I class aa.com
Jan/Feb wide open £1.94/TP £700(US$883) 360 TPs SEA-CLT-MCO-PHX-SEA all I class aa.com

From Middle East, Asia and Australasia
18Jan £1.58/TP £883 560 CMB-xHKG-CGK return I cathaypacific.com ermen CX
28Feb £1.44/TP £575 400 MCT-DOH-BKK-DOH-MCT A/R/R/A travel.americanexpress.co.uk QR
21Feb £1.53/TP £860 560 HKG-CMB-MEL return I Expedia.com.hk Firemin UL
16Mar £1.22/TP £687 560 CGK-CMB-DXB return I srilankan.com Firemin UL
01Apr £0.87/TP £314 360 PEN-KUL-KTM return Malaysian.com cgtechuk MH
01Apr £1.19/TP £335 280 KUL-PER return Malaysian.com cgtechuk MH
01Apr £1.28/TP £335 360 PEN-KUL-PER return Malaysian.com cgtechuk MH
05Apr £2.00/TP £320 160 CAN-HKG-TPE return CathayPacific.com littlevoices CX/KA (flexible fare, bookable up to 24 hours in advance, allows stopovers, book with CX directly)

From Africa

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Need a year-end TP run (ex-LON) to make / retain status?
Some tips for searching for the year-end TP run for newcomers, the below is indicative only, but hopefully provides a bit of guidance for relatively straightforward runs ex-LON. Some information on how to use ITA matrix is in post #4 of this thread (or just click here) along with these ideas, might come in handy. Feel free to share results, problems or general questions in the thread as these may not always work and there might be better deals out there...

For overnight trips remember to check BA and Iberia for their flights and hotel option as well, can get hotel for almost no extra cost at times

Need 80 TPs or fewer
Club Europe return somewhere close by is best - DUB, AMS and JER usually cheapest along with UK domestic returns. Additionally you may find that trips in to mainland Europe require a one night stay whereas the cheapest domestic CE returns do not have any minimum stay so can be booked as a same day return. If doing a back to back AMS and JER can be easier than DUB for an immediate turnaround - more information can be found in the back to back thread listed in the forum dashboard. The BA.com low fare finder can be very useful.

If you need as few as 45 TPs you might consider booking economy flights and hoping for a proactive online upgrade offer - but they're not guaranteed to materialise (so not one if you have no more time left in your TP collection year). Alternatively, booking a return to one of the 40 tier point destinations with one way in CE and the return in ET (or vice versa if cheaper). UK domestic route, Bilbao, Jersey and Amsterdam seem the most cost effective for this.

Need 85-120 TPs
Iberia flights via MAD to regional Spanish airports will get you 120 TPs as the domestic Spanish flights are 20 TPs in business. Under £300 including hotel can be available. Check BIO, GRX, VLC, BCN, SVQ etc. Example here

Need 125-160 TPs
Take a look at the shorthaul plus routes earning 80 TPs each way in business listed in the first post of this thread, MLA, IST, HEL and RAK are usually available. If time sensitive take a look at BA flight and hotel option to HEL, where you can usually get the last BA flight out on a Saturday, airport hotel and first return Sunday for well under £500.

Alternative options include positioning to JER and flying JER-LGW-XXX (AMS usually works well and avoids switching airports).

Need more than 160 TPs
You'll most likely be heading north then - OSL or VNO via HEL will get you 240 TPs, as will JER-LGW/LHR-HEL e.g. LHR-HEL-OSL for £520.
DUB-LHR-HEL return (or return to LHR) is currently a very efficient way of hitting 200-240 TPs
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Historic information
2017 Archive
2016 Archive
2015 Archive (6 months Jul to Dec)
2015 Archive (6 months Jan to Jun)
2014 Archive
Print Wikipost

BA Tier Point Runs | 2018 master thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2018, 10:12 am

Originally Posted by volar
T4S is for international flights to non-Schengen countries which includes your flight to LGW. T4 is for Schengen countries and Spanish domestic destinations. There are a couple of exceptions to this, but that's the general rule. The official line is that you need a T4S boarding pass to enter the Velazquez lounge - assuming you can get through exit passport control to get there in the first place, my guess is that you'd be turned away at the lounge door, but somebody on the Iberia board might be able to answer this better than me. Try this thread Iberia lounges at Madrid Barajas (T4/T4S)

Good luck with your trip!
Yes, if you don't hold the right BP then you won't be able to get through passport control to get to the lounge in the first place. The way I got around that previously was to show my later MAD-LON boarding pass, but that'll only work if that flight is within 24 hours e.g. don't show them the MAD-BCN BP.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 2:00 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, AVIS Preferred Plus
Originally Posted by volar
T4S is for international flights to non-Schengen countries which includes your flight to LGW. T4 is for Schengen countries and Spanish domestic destinations. There are a couple of exceptions to this, but that's the general rule. The official line is that you need a T4S boarding pass to enter the Velazquez lounge - assuming you can get through exit passport control to get there in the first place, my guess is that you'd be turned away at the lounge door, but somebody on the Iberia board might be able to answer this better than me. Try this thread Iberia lounges at Madrid Barajas (T4/T4S)

Good luck with your trip!
Thanks for the answer and the link. I double checked there and got the same answer, no access. So I am afraid I have to have an over night stay in LON too on the way down to BCN.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 4:14 am

Planning trip to YUL

Hello very knowledgeable people,

just want to use your brains for a trip I’m planning to YUL next year - probably around May. I would like to maximise any tier point opportunities and happy to go around the US/North America as well, as far as I get to YUL at some point and I can stop there 5/6 nights. Any thoughts? I thought about LON/exEU - JFK - LAX but still have the problem to fit YUL and JFK- YUL shuttle are a little pricey.

Many thanks
Old Oct 11, 2018, 4:19 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
As a permitted routing, probably the most you could ever get would be HEL-LHR-PHL-YUL. JFK-YUL is economy only and PHL is probably an easier place to change, but JFK might also be an option.

I couldn't route OTP-LHR-HEL-JFK-YUL which would have been another 80 each way and ex-HEL is £1600 ish, therefore cheaper than OTP.

The route I did find gives 520 TP return, plus positioning flights.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 5:07 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by CompassLHR

just want to use your brains for a trip I’m planning to YUL next year - probably around May. I would like to maximise any tier point opportunities and happy to go around the US/North America as well, as far as I get to YUL at some point and I can stop there 5/6 nights. Any thoughts? I thought about LON/exEU - JFK - LAX but still have the problem to fit YUL and JFK- YUL shuttle are a little pricey.

Many thanks
It might be a little out of your way but ex-CAI to YUL is currently £1,233 return in CW. This would be 640TP return if routed via LHR and PHL. This fare also allows free stopovers, so you could separate the CAI-LHR and LHR-xxx-YUL sectors at your leisure. The fare is also flexible for a £25 change fee and cancelable. CAI-LAS or LAX is available for between £1,405 and £1,470 depending on routing and can be routed via YYZ both ways with a stopover although I could not find via YUL with a quick search.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 5:52 am

Programs: BA GFL, OW Gold, CX/MP Diamond, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by Tafflyer

It might be a little out of your way but ex-CAI to YUL is currently £1,233 return in CW. This would be 640TP return if routed via LHR and PHL. This fare also allows free stopovers, so you could separate the CAI-LHR and LHR-xxx-YUL sectors at your leisure. The fare is also flexible for a £25 change fee and cancelable. CAI-LAS or LAX is available for between £1,405 and £1,470 depending on routing and can be routed via YYZ both ways with a stopover although I could not find via YUL with a quick search.
I know I am being lazy, and you might blame me, but after all, we all love each other right?
Can you share a screenshot of ITA for this journey please? (I'm on mobile and traveling)

Thanks!
Old Oct 11, 2018, 6:32 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by IAANN
I know I am being lazy, and you might blame me, but after all, we all love each other right?
Can you share a screenshot of ITA for this journey please? (I'm on mobile and traveling)

Thanks!
This is just one example and there are plenty more options. You can break the journey at any point for free. Bear in mind though that if you break at LHR you will get hit with the UK higher rate APD each time. However, you can always break the journey at LHR and restart at AMS or BRU to both avoid the APD and get additional TP.

Here you go:

DETAILS: Cairo/Montreal
From http://matrix.itasoftware.com

ITINERARY

Cairo (CAI) to Montreal (YUL) - Mon, May 6

British Airways 154 Dep: 8:00AM Arr: 12:10PM 5h 10m Boeing 787 Business
(I)
Layover in LHR 22h 5m
British Airways 1588 Dep: 10:15AM Arr: 1:30PM 8h 15m Airbus A330 Business
(I)
OPERATED BY AMERICAN
Layover in PHL 4h 32m
American 4625 Dep: 6:02PM Arr: 8:00PM 1h 58m Embraer RJ-175 Business (I)
OPERATED BY REPUBLIC AIRLINES AS AMERICAN EAGLE

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Montreal (YUL) to Cairo (CAI) - Sun, May 12

American 4845 Dep: 6:01PM Arr: 7:47PM 1h 46m Embraer ERJ-145 Coach (Y)
OPERATED BY PIEDMONT AIRLINES AS AMERICAN EAGLE
Layover in PHL 2h 13m
British Airways 68 Dep: 10:00PM Arr: 10:15AM 7h 15m Boeing 787 Business
(I)
Layover in LHR Mon, May 13 7h 15m
British Airways 155 Dep: 5:30PM Arr: 11:15PM 4h 45m Boeing 787 Business
(I)

FARE AND BOOKING DETAILS

Provide this information to a travel agent to help them match the fares
found.
Make sure to provide the exact booking and fare codes shown.

Fare 1: Carrier BA IRCME CAI to YMQ GBP371.27
Passenger type ADT, round trip fare, booking code I
Covers CAI-LHR (Business), LHR-PHL (Business), PHL-YUL (Business)

Fare 2: Carrier BA IRCME YMQ to CAI GBP371.27
Passenger type ADT, round trip fare, booking code Y, I
Covers YUL-PHL (Economy), PHL-LHR (Business), LHR-CAI (Business)

Egypt Development Fee (XK) GBP6.40
US September 11th Security Fee (AY) GBP8.60
United States Immigration User Fee (XY) GBP10.60
United States Customs User Fee (YC) GBP8.80
United States APHIS Passenger Fee Passengers (XA) GBP6.00
United Kingdom Passenger Service Charge Departures (UB) GBP67.72
BA YQ surcharge (YQ) GBP340.40
Egypt Service Charge (EQ) GBP0.80
Egypt Departure Fee (JK) GBP2.10
Egypt Embarkation Tax (QH) GBP19.10
Egypt Solidarity Tax (EG) GBP17.10
Montreal Trudeau Airport Improvement Fee (SQ) GBP17.70
Canadian Goods and Services Tax (XG) GBP0.90
Quebec Sales Tax (XQ) GBP1.80
Canadian Air Travelers Security Charge (CA) GBP15.30
US Passenger Facility Charge (XF) GBP3.40

Subtotal per passenger GBP1,269.72
Number of passengers x1

Total airfare & taxes GBP1,269.72

Fare construction (can be useful to travel agents)

CAI BA X/LON BA X/E/PHL AA YMQ Q10.90 M 475.39IRCME AA X/E/PHL BA X/LON BA
CAI Q10.90 M 475.39IRCME NUC 972.58 END ROE 17.88 XT 67.72UB 17.10EG 0.80EQ
2.10JK 19.10QH 6.40XK 8.80YC 10.60XY 6.00XA 8.60AY 15.30CA 17.70SQ 0.90XG
1.80XQ 340.40YQ 3.40XF PHL4.50

Changes to this ticket will incur a penalty fee.

Last edited by Tafflyer; Oct 11, 2018 at 6:46 am
Old Oct 11, 2018, 8:03 am

Programs: BA Gold / OW Emerald
Originally Posted by CompassLHR

Many thanks
As far as May is concerned I would wait and see. I'm currently planning to take the direct flight for 1400 return in April... but I haven't found much in the realm of TP runs (aside of CAI). In the past you could do AMS-HEL-LHR-DUB-PHL-YUL for ~1350. I would think such a fare might pop up again without having to position to Cairo.

Last edited by thebigben; Oct 11, 2018 at 8:09 am
Old Oct 12, 2018, 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by Maze13
Thanks for the answer and the link. I double checked there and got the same answer, no access. So I am afraid I have to have an over night stay in LON too on the way down to BCN.
Have seen suggestions elsewhere that main T4 lounge at MAD due to reopen on Monday next. Not guaranteed to be sure, but indicative. If that happens, the question of T4S and passport control ceases to be relevant?
Old Oct 13, 2018, 5:43 am

Programs: BAEC GOLD
anyone found any good deals with that LGW-BAR fare?? lowest Tp/£?

any ideas?
Old Oct 13, 2018, 2:14 pm

Programs: BA
150 Tier Points Required.

Hello all. I am travelling DUB-HKG in December. I require 150 tier points to achieve silver status prior to this. Would really appreciate advice in how to achieve this with flights out of Dublin. Would be even better if this could be achieved on a day trip.

Thank you.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by Alan Nevin

Hello all. I am travelling DUB-HKG in December. I require 150 tier points to achieve silver status prior to this. Would really appreciate advice in how to achieve this with flights out of Dublin. Would be even better if this could be achieved on a day trip.

Thank you.

Hi,

The best way is probably a DUB-LHR-XXX destination in the UK or Europe in Club Europe as you would get 40 tps for each leg ( 160 in total)- not sure if a same day return would be cheap ( but a saturday night stay might help)

Regards

TBS
Old Oct 13, 2018, 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by Alan Nevin

Thank you.
Dublin - Jersey (avoiding APD both ways) via LHR on weekends in November is c£400 same day return, £300 for Sat night stay Other usual suspects, INV, AMS, LUX don't seem to be as cheap.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 6:35 pm

Programs: Air: QR Silver. BA Silver Emirates, Hotels: CC Gold, IHG Spire AMB, Hilton Diamond.
Hello all, hope you've had a fantastic weekend.

Have a handy £200 cashback on a £600 spend with Amex Travel and looking at using it to get some TPs.
Thinking three of these 120 TP LGW-BCN trips.
Anyone got any other ideas that'd net me nearly 1TP/£ after the discount ?

Would need to be trips in the New Year. Happy to do a few days at destination.

Will be in Cairo Nov & Thailand Dec but not really got time to do a TP run from either of those....perhaps CAI if there's something absolutely fantastic anyone's aware of ?

Last edited by Sisyphus1carus; Oct 15, 2018 at 8:42 am
Old Oct 14, 2018, 8:15 pm

Hello,

I need to book flights from WAW - LAX flying out 17th January and need to arrive by 15:00 on 18th with the return from LAX to WAW on 26th January. I am a BA Silver card holder and therefore want to fly a One World option. I have seen an WAW-HEL-LHR-LAX option in order to boost my tier points but would like to know if there are any other options available in CE/CW.

Thanks in advance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.