Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2018, 5:20 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: OWBA
Welcome to the thread. This is a continuation of the highly popular 2017 Tier Point thread. We keep track of other prices, as well as useful reference information for those planning tier point runs.

Please read the first few posts in this thread first as it contains lots of information which may answer your question.

This is a community-maintained wiki post. Please add important information to it or correct outdated information by clicking the "Edit" button below.

Current Promotions of Interest
Sale Fares
  • from JER to PDX IKN8T1S6 reported in this post, e.g. PDX £1,082, needs to be booked by 8 May, see linked post for details

Advanced Promotion Fares
  • from OTP to PHX ILN8C8S4 reported here, e.g. PHX - £1,296, see linked post for details
  • from AMS to BKK INCEU60 reported here, e.g. BKK - £1,340, see linked post for details

See here in post #9 for a 2018 archive of exEU sale fare, and see this post in the 2017 thread for last years’ archive of exEU sale fares.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This thread lists attractive tier point (TP) runs under £3 per TP grouped within different (departure) geographies

Please note that current availability is not guaranteed and all prices include taxes. Please use the following convention when adding tier point runs to this wiki post:
Date fare checked Price per Tier Point Total Price Total Tier Points Route Booking Classes Booking Channel Credit Notes (if applicable) Airlines

Please remember to:
  • Convert currencies to GBP, rounding to the nearest pound.
  • Post full routes and full booking classes.
  • Note any restrictions on booking in the Notes section.
  • List in order of price per tier point within the relevant departure area.

Please see the links at the bottom of the wiki for archives of runs from previous years.

From Europe
Code:
3Feb 200TPs DUB-LHR-HEL/HEL-LHR all I class ba.com
From North, Central and South America

23Sep £1.48/TP £650 (US$853) 440 TPs JFK-CLT/BOS-LAX-LAS and return all I class aa.com
6Sep £1.50/TP US$457 240TPs RIC-CLT-DCA-BOS, BOS-LGA/PHL-CLT-RIC all I class aa.com
Jan/Feb wide open £1.94/TP £700(US$883) 360 TPs SEA-CLT-MCO-PHX-SEA all I class aa.com

From Middle East, Asia and Australasia
18Jan £1.58/TP £883 560 CMB-xHKG-CGK return I cathaypacific.com ermen CX
28Feb £1.44/TP £575 400 MCT-DOH-BKK-DOH-MCT A/R/R/A travel.americanexpress.co.uk QR
21Feb £1.53/TP £860 560 HKG-CMB-MEL return I Expedia.com.hk Firemin UL
16Mar £1.22/TP £687 560 CGK-CMB-DXB return I srilankan.com Firemin UL
01Apr £0.87/TP £314 360 PEN-KUL-KTM return Malaysian.com cgtechuk MH
01Apr £1.19/TP £335 280 KUL-PER return Malaysian.com cgtechuk MH
01Apr £1.28/TP £335 360 PEN-KUL-PER return Malaysian.com cgtechuk MH
05Apr £2.00/TP £320 160 CAN-HKG-TPE return CathayPacific.com littlevoices CX/KA (flexible fare, bookable up to 24 hours in advance, allows stopovers, book with CX directly)

From Africa

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Need a year-end TP run (ex-LON) to make / retain status?
Some tips for searching for the year-end TP run for newcomers, the below is indicative only, but hopefully provides a bit of guidance for relatively straightforward runs ex-LON. Some information on how to use ITA matrix is in post #4 of this thread (or just click here) along with these ideas, might come in handy. Feel free to share results, problems or general questions in the thread as these may not always work and there might be better deals out there...

For overnight trips remember to check BA and Iberia for their flights and hotel option as well, can get hotel for almost no extra cost at times

Need 80 TPs or fewer
Club Europe return somewhere close by is best - DUB, AMS and JER usually cheapest along with UK domestic returns. Additionally you may find that trips in to mainland Europe require a one night stay whereas the cheapest domestic CE returns do not have any minimum stay so can be booked as a same day return. If doing a back to back AMS and JER can be easier than DUB for an immediate turnaround - more information can be found in the back to back thread listed in the forum dashboard. The BA.com low fare finder can be very useful.

If you need as few as 45 TPs you might consider booking economy flights and hoping for a proactive online upgrade offer - but they're not guaranteed to materialise (so not one if you have no more time left in your TP collection year). Alternatively, booking a return to one of the 40 tier point destinations with one way in CE and the return in ET (or vice versa if cheaper). UK domestic route, Bilbao, Jersey and Amsterdam seem the most cost effective for this.

Need 85-120 TPs
Iberia flights via MAD to regional Spanish airports will get you 120 TPs as the domestic Spanish flights are 20 TPs in business. Under £300 including hotel can be available. Check BIO, GRX, VLC, BCN, SVQ etc. Example here

Need 125-160 TPs
Take a look at the shorthaul plus routes earning 80 TPs each way in business listed in the first post of this thread, MLA, IST, HEL and RAK are usually available. If time sensitive take a look at BA flight and hotel option to HEL, where you can usually get the last BA flight out on a Saturday, airport hotel and first return Sunday for well under £500.

Alternative options include positioning to JER and flying JER-LGW-XXX (AMS usually works well and avoids switching airports).

Need more than 160 TPs
You'll most likely be heading north then - OSL or VNO via HEL will get you 240 TPs, as will JER-LGW/LHR-HEL e.g. LHR-HEL-OSL for £520.
DUB-LHR-HEL return (or return to LHR) is currently a very efficient way of hitting 200-240 TPs
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Historic information
2017 Archive
2016 Archive
2015 Archive (6 months Jul to Dec)
2015 Archive (6 months Jan to Jun)
2014 Archive
Print Wikipost

BA Tier Point Runs | 2018 master thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2018, 5:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Gaz1a
Ok that's a good idea. Any LAX runs at the moment?
LAS-PTY with Lie Flat if you pick the correct flights - £700

https://www.google.com/flights/#flt=...618*.GBP.69766
Old Aug 15, 2018, 5:38 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by mikeyfly
LAS-PTY with Lie Flat if you pick the correct flights - £700

https://www.google.com/flights/#flt=...618*.GBP.69766
LEGEND. Thank you!
Old Aug 15, 2018, 6:09 am

Programs: BA GfL/GGL/CCR, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by Gaz1a
Yeah I need to be in LA for 24th... until 5 Oct : /
Oslo never disappoints...

(if you search on AA, you could get an overnight stay in London on return connecting to SAS operated flight ;-) )
Old Aug 16, 2018, 10:32 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Spire Elite
Hello everyone.

I've been BA Gold for the last two years, my current status runs out mid September. I'm currently 30 points short of Silver status. BA have given me an extra two weeks grace to get the points, so I have until the end of September. This may help for cheaper deals outside of summer/busy periods. I'm based in Glasgow, and I'm basically looking for suggestions to get the 30 points at minimal cost. I can make a solo trip, however if something looks particularly good I could go with my partner for an overnight or weekend break, but it would have to still be very cheap.

Many thanks in advance for any suggestions as to how I can best make up my 30 points. I don't have the time or budget to travel long haul, I'm afraid, so really within UK or very short haul EU.

Last edited by enesem; Aug 16, 2018 at 10:33 am Reason: Typo
Old Aug 16, 2018, 10:43 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
https://www.google.co.uk/flights/#fl...;sd:1;t:f;tt:o

GLA-LGW available for £110 one way in business class across various dates. Would earn you 40 tier points.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 12:08 pm

Programs: M&M Senator, BAEC GGL, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by sunshinebob
Sure.. its a simple OTP-LHR-HEL-LHR-JFK-PHX-JFK-LHR-HEL-LHR-OTP
Did you actually get this all on one ticket? Most fares do not allow to touch LHR twice.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 12:36 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by chrini1
Did you actually get this all on one ticket? Most fares do not allow to touch LHR twice.
This one does. Will be all one ticket so completely protected.
Markie and Lefly like this.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by enesem
Hello everyone.

I've been BA Gold for the last two years, my current status runs out mid September. I'm currently 30 points short of Silver status. BA have given me an extra two weeks grace to get the points, so I have until the end of September. This may help for cheaper deals outside of summer/busy periods. I'm based in Glasgow, and I'm basically looking for suggestions to get the 30 points at minimal cost. I can make a solo trip, however if something looks particularly good I could go with my partner for an overnight or weekend break, but it would have to still be very cheap.

Many thanks in advance for any suggestions as to how I can best make up my 30 points. I don't have the time or budget to travel long haul, I'm afraid, so really within UK or very short haul EU.
If you're gold still now then you'll have a soft landing to silver anyway so no need to get the silver TPs.
DVT likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 3:53 pm

Programs: LX HON, BA Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite
Looks like I'll be accidentally bumping close to BA Gold again this year, missing 225TP to be collected by latest 8th Dec.
can anyone recommend sth preferrably ex BRU / AMS / DUS / FRA? J only. Frankly I was waiting for another QR EF to pop up but haven't seen anything in a while (or possibly missed it!)
Is the LA FRA-MAD thing still an option where it was possible to combine to many Spanish destinations?
Old Aug 16, 2018, 4:03 pm

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
Originally Posted by The Wolf
Looks like I'll be accidentally bumping close to BA Gold again this year, missing 225TP to be collected by latest 8th Dec.
can anyone recommend sth preferrably ex BRU / AMS / DUS / FRA? J only. Frankly I was waiting for another QR EF to pop up but haven't seen anything in a while (or possibly missed it!)
Is the LA FRA-MAD thing still an option where it was possible to combine to many Spanish destinations?
would ex-LUX work, given some of the very cheap CE fares from there?
Old Aug 16, 2018, 4:32 pm

Programs: LX HON, BA Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite
Would consider! Never flown from LUX so could cross that off the bucketlist as well.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 4:42 pm

Programs: British Airways Gold
Peril of a Tier Point Run with Ex EU fare

Over ten years a gold card holder, and my first post. A cautionary tale really for other readers. Was waiting for the (usual) June Club World summer sale to arrive which, as reported elsewhere on the site, of course never did. By which time a World Traveller flight from LHR to BOS in August was c. £1,200 and World Traveller Plus was £1,600. Remembering the ex-Europe thread I happened to check cost of a Club World AMS-LHR-BOS return. It was £1,600. I booked it. To be on the safe side, I booked a one way to Amsterdam the day before, in case of delays - I didn't want to be snarled up - and a hotel room at the airport. Worth the inconvenience for the saving. I was content.

Arrive at LHR for my one way to BOS to find multiple delays but only one flight cancelled: mine. I had booked 6pm so that if in extremis I could get on the 8p. But they couldn't get me on it, and rebooked me to go from London City to Rotterdam. Even for BA that was ridiculous. Long story short: I could not get to Amsterdam in time to take the flight FROM Amsterdam home. My protestations to BA had no effect; they tried to be helpful but they (of course correctly) pointed out my one way to AMS was unrelated (in their mind) to the ticket to Boston. I had the presence of mind to use the "AMS" ticket and exchanged for a new ticket next year (at a cost of EUR380) and had to book an ENTIRELY NEW economy ticket from London to Boston at a cost of over £2,000. I merely post it to say even the best laid plans can go to waste, and if thinking of a tier point run, just be very careful.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 4:51 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Originally Posted by BALoyalist
Over ten years a gold card holder, and my first post. A cautionary tale really for other readers. Was waiting for the (usual) June Club World summer sale to arrive which, as reported elsewhere on the site, of course never did. By which time a World Traveller flight from LHR to BOS in August was c. £1,200 and World Traveller Plus was £1,600. Remembering the ex-Europe thread I happened to check cost of a Club World AMS-LHR-BOS return. It was £1,600. I booked it. To be on the safe side, I booked a one way to Amsterdam the day before, in case of delays - I didn't want to be snarled up - and a hotel room at the airport. Worth the inconvenience for the saving. I was content.

Arrive at LHR for my one way to BOS to find multiple delays but only one flight cancelled: mine. I had booked 6pm so that if in extremis I could get on the 8p. But they couldn't get me on it, and rebooked me to go from London City to Rotterdam. Even for BA that was ridiculous. Long story short: I could not get to Amsterdam in time to take the flight FROM Amsterdam home. My protestations to BA had no effect; they tried to be helpful but they (of course correctly) pointed out my one way to AMS was unrelated (in their mind) to the ticket to Boston. I had the presence of mind to use the "AMS" ticket and exchanged for a new ticket next year (at a cost of EUR380) and had to book an ENTIRELY NEW economy ticket from London to Boston at a cost of over £2,000. I merely post it to say even the best laid plans can go to waste, and if thinking of a tier point run, just be very careful.
Commiserations.

​​​​​​​Just points out how silly it is not to book b-2-b flights at AMS, it goes against common sense but booking the 40/45 min turnaround is the safest option as if outbound is cancelled so will be the inbound.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 5:12 pm

Programs: Hhonors Diamond, IHG Platinum, BA Silver
Too late now but for anyone else an option could be flying to DUS or HAJ and taking one of the overnight trains
Old Aug 16, 2018, 5:16 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by BALoyalist

Welcome to FT BALoyalist.

Sorry to hear about your experience. As noted by nufnuf77 a b2b is often the best approach, and especially so for AMS where it is so easy. Out of interest why didn't you want to take the LCY-RTM flight? That would have been a reasonable option to get to the Netherlands, and then either a taxi to AMS or bus/taxi to Rotterdam station and train to AMS. It would be an easy journey from RTM to AMS helped by good public transport,

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.