FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - BA Tier Point Runs | 2018 master thread
View Single Post
Old Aug 16, 2018, 4:42 pm
BALoyalist

Programs: British Airways Gold
Peril of a Tier Point Run with Ex EU fare

Over ten years a gold card holder, and my first post. A cautionary tale really for other readers. Was waiting for the (usual) June Club World summer sale to arrive which, as reported elsewhere on the site, of course never did. By which time a World Traveller flight from LHR to BOS in August was c. £1,200 and World Traveller Plus was £1,600. Remembering the ex-Europe thread I happened to check cost of a Club World AMS-LHR-BOS return. It was £1,600. I booked it. To be on the safe side, I booked a one way to Amsterdam the day before, in case of delays - I didn't want to be snarled up - and a hotel room at the airport. Worth the inconvenience for the saving. I was content.

Arrive at LHR for my one way to BOS to find multiple delays but only one flight cancelled: mine. I had booked 6pm so that if in extremis I could get on the 8p. But they couldn't get me on it, and rebooked me to go from London City to Rotterdam. Even for BA that was ridiculous. Long story short: I could not get to Amsterdam in time to take the flight FROM Amsterdam home. My protestations to BA had no effect; they tried to be helpful but they (of course correctly) pointed out my one way to AMS was unrelated (in their mind) to the ticket to Boston. I had the presence of mind to use the "AMS" ticket and exchanged for a new ticket next year (at a cost of EUR380) and had to book an ENTIRELY NEW economy ticket from London to Boston at a cost of over £2,000. I merely post it to say even the best laid plans can go to waste, and if thinking of a tier point run, just be very careful.