Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Boarding by group to be introduced [general discussion]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 9, 2018, 5:44 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: KARFA
Please use this thread for discussion, conjecture and speculation about the Group Boarding Process.

Experiences of the actual process in airports should be made in the dedicated thread:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...periences.html

Group Boarding Summary (courtesy chris1979)

NB. Customers with additional needs will be offered pre-boarding ahead of all the groups listed above.

Boarding priority for Executive Club Gold, Silver or Bronze Members or oneworld equivalents, will automatically be reflected in the group number given on their boarding pass. If they arrive after their group has been called, they can use the priority boarding lane to go through before the flight closes.

Please note that priority boarding will not be reflected for any other people travelling with an Executive Club Member on the same booking at the moment, but will be introduced in the coming months. In the meantime, the whole party can use the priority boarding lane and our staff will endeavour to board everyone together.

Pre-boarding
Families with small children
We invite families with infants under two and young children in pushchairs to board first, so that the whole family can settle in. Customers must arrive by the time specified on their boarding pass so that they are ready to board and we have enough time
to load their pushchair into the hold.

Customers requiring disability or mobility assistance
We will assist customers on to the aircraft ahead of other passengers so that they have time to settle in and get comfortable. Please contact us at least 48 hours before their flight so that we can make the necessary arrangements.
Print Wikipost

Boarding by group to be introduced [general discussion]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2017, 1:49 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Nicc HK
The Independent is taking an unsurpringly left wing view. Also they seem to have multiple and slightly different articles covering this.

https://uk.yahoo.com/style/ba-paid-l...102700831.html

http://www.independent.co.uk/travel/...n-airlines-a80

Actual quote is "And on FlyerTalk, Karfa proposes their own boarding system: “1. Me. 2. Everyone else.” "

Apologies if this has been mentioned before, I looked through the thread and could not see it.
Thanks, it was also spotted by others and posted earlier too

I have felt the need to get an agent to arrange my further media appearances
Tobias-UK likes this.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 2:01 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, BA LTG, Hilton Diamond, FB Platinum, EK Gold
Originally Posted by cayman4522
Hi - There are 3 elements that we had to change, the airport printed boarding pass,the print at home boarding pass, and the mobile boarding pass. This is the complexity of the project - so many platforms that have to be changed, along with the front and back end systems. Some are complete, others just finishing up. It did not make any sense to turn some on and not others which is why we have 12 December as the launch date. This ensures that all 3 options of boarding passes are available, and able to be scanned.
Thanks for clarifying, will be interesting to see what the the new mobile BP will look like. Assuming GGL will appear on the BP as well around that time?
Old Nov 19, 2017, 2:11 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Betteronacamel
The question that arises is of course what happens when we get more automatic boarding gates? I haven't used one yet and I imagine there will still be staff there to manually board those passengers who for whatever reason cannot use an automatic gate but this will end up being the slow lane as it will largely be dealing with 'problem and incompetent cases'. So whilst the gates will doubtless be programmed accordingly one would hope that check-in or lounge staff might be able to override the normally assigned group to those of the highest within the group where families or partners are travelling in different cabins or have lower priority.
At the moment the automated gates - which are now the norm for domestic and Dublin departures - have at least 2 staff on them. One serving passengers manually (bearing in mind there are biometrics involved and people not standing in the right place / not looking up / spectacles) and the other supervising the 3 or 4 gates with passengers self serving. Now it's already well known among the regulars that the gates are on-off only, so anyone can board at any time, but that presumably could be changed. cayman4522 has mentioned that there is a FLY fix due so that the Group number can carry over from linked other passengers, so in the medium term boarding passes will be show an inherited but correct Group. But as things stand, unless they alter the gates' logic, what will be required is for those approaching the gates will need to be watched, otherwise not much will change.

Having said that, it will remain the case that for many shorthaul services the majority of passengers will be in Group 1 and Group 2, particularly if guesting is allowed, and a minority in Group 3 to 5.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 2:19 am

I take it from cayman4522's comments that the linked feature will be for those on separate PNRs.

Can he/she/others confirm that from launch on 12 Dec, those on the same PNR will automatically get the same group number as the highest status-holder on the booking?
Old Nov 19, 2017, 2:34 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
Originally Posted by Ldnn1
I take it from cayman4522's comments that the linked feature will be for those on separate PNRs.

Can he/she/others confirm that from launch on 12 Dec, those on the same PNR will automatically get the same group number as the highest status-holder on the booking?
I think this was sort of anwsered in post 151:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29075281-post151.html

The other question I saw was will people travelling with someone who is in a higher group be able to board with them - answer is yes, as long as you are not a huge group! There is a fix that will come in 2018 where people who are 'linked' in FLY will have the same group code, but this is another fix that will have to take place and we did not want to wait any longer for small fixes like this. We wanted this delivered this year, so we will manage the anomalies for now Hope this helps.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 2:40 am

Originally Posted by florens

I think it will be a tricky decision as to the definition of 'not huge'. Where to draw the line - 4 others, 6, 8? Perhaps 8 extras is a natural place as that would mean 9 in total which is the maximum number of people on a single booking before it becomes a group booking.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 2:51 am

Originally Posted by florens

Yes but I read some ambiguity in the post as I wasn't clear if they meant "yes, you will automatically get the same (highest) boarding number on your BP as long as not in a huge group"... or "yes, we will manually let you all through together as long as not in a huge group".

I think it's the former but would be good to have that confirmed.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 3:25 am

Programs: BA Silver
I think you have to look at what is 'reasonable'. A GCH with 3 kids, or a stag group with 10? The GCH with 3 kids - sure, not a problem, the stag do with 10 would be no. I think that we also need a bit of help from the GCH community - so if you know you have a large group, perhaps you could tell your party up front that they will have to wait and board with group 4/5. At the end of the day, you can make those decisions and either be the culprit of diluting your own benefit, or taking the approach of what is reasonable. No one really wants to argue with you, but when the shoe is on the other foot, and someone else has that big group in front of you I would be interested to know what you are thinking
Old Nov 19, 2017, 3:35 am

Hmmm, you still don't seem to have answered my question above though...? Are you saying it's all going to be manual and discretionary even on the same PNR?

(grateful as I am for all your insider input of course!)
Old Nov 19, 2017, 3:36 am

Programs: BA Silver
A morning smile for all of you who have not seen this

https://www.simonarmitage.com/thank-you-for-waiting/
Old Nov 19, 2017, 3:51 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
I think that we also need a bit of help from the GCH community
Good luck with that!!

Hilarious.

Thanks for your valuable input on this thread and good luck with the launch. You'll have no shortage of feedback from this community at least.
Silver Fox and cayman4522 like this.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 3:58 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer

Somewhat subversive for this forum! This is turning into the KARFA's thread, that poem was filmed at LBA.
icebird and KARFA like this.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 4:10 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Somewhat subversive for this forum! This is turning into the KARFA's thread, that poem was filmed at LBA.
Aha, yes just watched it. BA aircraft in the background at the start too. Must have been filmed over 6 months ago as the gates have been renumbered since and some of the views out to the apron/runway are temporarily covered whilst they complete the upper floor extension (I have heard rumours the lounge may move there when completed possibly but that’s for another thread).

EDIT: and I enjoyed the poem too

Last edited by KARFA; Nov 19, 2017 at 4:20 am Reason: Typo
Old Nov 19, 2017, 4:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by KeaneJohn
Interesting.. not a fan of the new BP but I guess we are sometimes reluctant to change. Just a thought will having HBO passengers board last cause delays as it takes longer time to stow luggage later in boarding process especially on full flights
I think the main hope is that it means that pax with the lowest place in the pecking order are most likely to have their compliant hand luggage checked in if there is not enough room. We have had several threads where status pax complained that their luggage was checked in despite being compliant, but if things are enforced properly now, this should presumably occur much less frequently.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 4:17 am

V funny, thank you! ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.