Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gifts for FAs?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2017, 2:02 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Mucci
I'm surprised that airlines do not have a strict policy of staff not accepting gifts from passengers. There are so many areas where things could go awry, including security concerns.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by stevie
I totally get this. I tip my postman for example who I am familiar with and who delivers post every day. If I got to know flight crew I would give them a gift at the end of the year as a thank you.

Going up to a complete stranger I have never seen before and giving them a gift, is just weird, and the term generally used on this thread creepy.
Doesn't the postman get paid to deliver. He's not doing it in his spare time.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by Annalisa12
Yes. But I'm relying on my postman to deliver the post with care... making sure it's entirely inside the letterbox when it's raining. Not bending 'do not bend' envelopes that might have important documents in it. Perhaps ringing the doorbell twice and waiting if there's a package that needs signing for (rather than racing off and making me go to collect it later). Same with the rubbish collectors... sometimes the lid might not be fully closed but they still collect it. Or the bins might be extra heavy because there's gardening waste in it. Or they have been collecting in the freezing cold or pouring rain.

We give our rubbish collectors a case of beer once a year between Christmas and New Years. They've always loved it!

Back to the crew example... I think maybe (just maybe) I'd consider bringing something for a long haul flight on Christmas day. Festive spirit and all.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 1:55 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
Yes. But I'm relying on my postman to deliver the post with care... making sure it's entirely inside the letterbox when it's raining. Not bending 'do not bend' envelopes that might have important documents in it. Perhaps ringing the doorbell twice and waiting if there's a package that needs signing for (rather than racing off and making me go to collect it later). Same with the rubbish collectors... sometimes the lid might not be fully closed but they still collect it. Or the bins might be extra heavy because there's gardening waste in it. Or they have been collecting in the freezing cold or pouring rain.

We give our rubbish collectors a case of beer once a year between Christmas and New Years. They've always loved it!

Back to the crew example... I think maybe (just maybe) I'd consider bringing something for a long haul flight on Christmas day. Festive spirit and all.

Careful you don't fall foul of the Bribery Act 2010.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 2:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by Worcester
Careful you don't fall foul of the Bribery Act 2010.
Unlikely according to this: https://lawblacks.wordpress.com/2011...-at-christmas/

Boxing Day gifts are a UK tradition, hardly something in the public interest to prosecute.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 2:08 am

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
Individual preference is fine but not for me.

A warm sincere ‘thank you’, email to Customer Relations or a Gold ticket are appropriate in my opinion. YMMV.

I am sure my Mother said that tips were certainly not allowed in her BOAC 707 days. We did not discuss how chocolates were viewed.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 2:21 am

Programs: Meh
Originally Posted by Annalisa12
He does, but he does not get paid to stop 10 mins to chat about football when our paths cross, pat my dog, and be flexible in terms of registered post etc.

I know the guy and like him, and he has been delivering post to my house for over a decade.

Very different to getting on a plane and going up to a stranger I have never seen before with a gift in hand.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 4:45 am

Programs: Usual Amex Cent. GGL.
I frequently take the advice of Liz and Julie on this and on a red eye slip the crew a packet of duty free chocs before I bed down with the request that they be put in the galley or crew rest. They’re normally delighted. Doing it before going to sleep (and declining breakfast) clearly signals that it isn’t being done for preferential treatment in my mind.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 2:31 pm

Programs: Mucci Chevalier des Internautes Amables; BAEC
Upon boarding I normally give each CC a handwritten card, along with a choice of cigs (Lambert & Butler for the ladies, Benson & Hedges for the chaps) or a bottle of perfume (Anäis Anäis or Blue Stratos).

Always appreciated, and you should see their faces.
stevie, Randeep, mikeyfly and 1 others like this.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by TheJayHatch
Upon boarding I normally give each CC a handwritten card, along with a choice of cigs (Lambert & Butler for the ladies, Benson & Hedges for the chaps) or a bottle of perfume (Anäis Anäis or Blue Stratos).

Always appreciated, and you should see their faces.
I'm trying to take that post seriously, but I'm really struggling.

Perhaps I should try 1kg of Jersey Royals for the ladies and 250gm of Jersey Butter for the chaps?
Old Nov 3, 2017, 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by subject2load
Has to be class-based, surely ..... ??

F : Hotel Chocolat

J : Celebrations

Y : Woolworths pick n' mix *

*edit : oops .... no more Woolies (more's the pity ..... )
You think Hotel Chocolate is posh and appropriate for F staff! They have a stall on Marylebone station just like Burger King, W H Smith and a pasty seller so I don’t think F staff would appreciate such a gift!
Old Nov 3, 2017, 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by T8191
Perhaps I should try 1kg of Jersey Royals for the ladies and 250gm of Jersey Butter for the chaps?
Not wanting to not-pick, but might I suggest you change it to 500g of royals for each CC, but then offer butter (salted for the chaps, unsalted for the ladies) or - as an alternative - a pint of gold top.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by Greenpen
You think Hotel Chocolate is posh and appropriate for F staff! They have a stall on Marylebone station just like Burger King, W H Smith and a pasty seller so I don’t think F staff would appreciate such a gift!
Agree. Surely it's Guylian seashells for F?
Old Nov 3, 2017, 3:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

A Cadbury Creme Egg would make my day.

I haven't had one in years.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by HIDDY
A Cadbury Creme Egg would make my day.

I haven't had one in years.
There's reason for that...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.