Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gifts for FAs?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2017, 10:55 am

This is laughable. It's truly bizarre behaviour. I cannot believe any food stuff gifted by strangers isn't just disposed of. Of course they will do it with a smile - they are going to be in a confined space with you for possibly many hours and you have just done something really weird. Do it at the end of the flight if you have to do it...
Old Nov 4, 2017, 2:03 pm

Programs: Usual Amex Cent. GGL.
Originally Posted by steadman
This is laughable. It's truly bizarre behaviour. I cannot believe any food stuff gifted by strangers isn't just disposed of. Of course they will do it with a smile - they are going to be in a confined space with you for possibly many hours and you have just done something really weird. Do it at the end of the flight if you have to do it...
To quote transatlantic crew friend on this “Chockys everytime!!! Can't tell you how appreciated they are. If they are purchased in duty free I'm sure it would be fine...”

And to quote another transatlantic crew friend

“They get eaten. If it was an open bag then no would touch them. But anything sealed is scoffed. Usually split into a couple of bowls - one into flight deck, one front Galley and one in back galley“

So YMMV
Old Nov 4, 2017, 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by Deckard
“They get eaten. If it was an open bag then no would touch them. But anything sealed is scoffed. Usually split into a couple of bowls - one into flight deck, one front Galley and one in back galley“

So YMMV
It certainly does! You do not see the potential safety risk here? Anything sealed? Flight deck? Wow.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 3:32 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by offtothehills
Well, regardless of whether it's "correct" or not, I'd really be interested to know why the gift would be given at the beginning of a flight.
On two occasions, our plane went tech after boarding. Another aircraft was available, but needed preparing. This led to a 3 hour delay. As it was L/H, the cabin crew had to agree to go as they would have been touch and go on hours. They could have gone home resulting in the flight being cancelled. On both occasions, they all stayed and the flight went ahead.

As a thank you, I used the refreshment vouchers handed on as we got off the tech aircraft to stock up on WH Smiths chocolates and gave them the CSM when we boarded later.

It was not a bribe. It was a thank you. Something increasingly missing in the UK.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by Deckard
To quote transatlantic crew friend on this “Chockys everytime!!! Can't tell you how appreciated they are. If they are purchased in duty free I'm sure it would be fine...”

And to quote another transatlantic crew friend

So YMMV
Gosh - you've been grilling your "transatlantic crew friends" about this!

I suppose it's a comfort they expect the gifts to be in sealed bags with receipts from duty free....

....but alarming that anything not supplied or sanctioned by the airline is consumed on the flight-deck.

To be honest, I'd have thought crew (transatlantic or vanilla) would have the wherewithal to buy their own chocolates if these are important to their well being.
Randeep likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 2:50 am

Programs: HH - Gold, BA - Blue
Originally Posted by IAN-UK

I suppose it's a comfort they expect the gifts to be in sealed bags with receipts from duty free....

(1)....but alarming that anything not supplied or sanctioned by the airline is consumed on the flight-deck.

(2)To be honest, I'd have thought crew (transatlantic or vanilla) would have the wherewithal to buy their own chocolates if these are important to their well being.
(1) I'm sure the pilots would soon strike if they weren't allowed to bring their own food in from home.

(2) I don't think you're understanding what an act of generosity is.
Deckard, Dave510 and truncated like this.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 3:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
It certainly does! You do not see the potential safety risk here? Anything sealed? Flight deck? Wow.
....but alarming that anything not supplied or sanctioned by the airline is consumed on the flight-deck.
I don't think any of us has to be a genius to see the potential for this to pose a risk.

But given that gifts of food are obviously commonplace, as illustrated by this thread, don't you think that this risk would long ago have been analysed and assessed, and any appropriate measures taken?
Old Nov 5, 2017, 4:29 am

Originally Posted by Globaliser
But given that gifts of food are obviously commonplace, as illustrated by this thread, don't you think that this risk would long ago have been analysed and assessed, and any appropriate measures taken?
Of course. That was the inference. Is it not appropriate to actually point that concept out to those that assume crew, including pilots, are joyously chomping away at these strangers' offerings? Was my opinion not valid?
Old Nov 5, 2017, 4:49 am

Programs: BA Exec
This happened recently on a European sector. Customer came on and gifted a bag of chocolates to the crew . I thanked her and later in the flight offered them to both flight crew (not interested, watching their weight) and cabin crew (same response). Since I also avoid sugary food, the bag wasn't even opened.

Nice gesture, I must admit I was a bit bemused by it and the thought did cross my mind as to whether she was fishing for an upgrade (no I didn't...)

I guess you have to draw your own conclusions. Everyone reacts differently.

Personally, when flying as a passenger I sit down and mind my own business. I just wouldn't do something like that. I don't see the point.

I guess I'm just old and cynical
HIDDY likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 4:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Of course. That was the inference. Is it not appropriate to actually point that concept out to those that assume crew, including pilots, are joyously chomping away at these strangers' offerings? Was my opinion not valid?
I can't see how you could come to the conclusion that all these gifts are thrown away, unless you know what the outcome of the risk assessment was and what the rules are. You can't just have an opinion about what the crew's rules are; they are what they are.

And there are plenty of posts here from crew that suggest that there is no rule against these being eaten during the flight. (Although I adhere to my own expectation, on the two occasions when I've done this, that those would have been saved by the crew for after the flight.)
Old Nov 6, 2017, 12:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by Globaliser
...You can't just have an opinion about what the crew's rules are; they are what they are.
I think steadman was expressing an opinion I share: it is an opinion relating to onboard consumption of gifts from passengers:

if there is no prohibition of the consumption on board by crew of foodstuffs given out by strangers, then there should be.

And if there exists a rule that explicitly permits crew to consume on board gifts from strangers, then that rule is misguided.

The risks are obvious.

There are many, many ways you can manifest your appreciation to airline crew.

But if gifts are your chosen medium for expressing gratitude, then it's probably more sensible to use cards, vouchers or other cash equivalents.
offtothehills likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 1:11 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Personally and more so on longer flights/longhaul, on BA or any other airline if I have had a good flight with a good crew member or members I make a point of approaching them in the galley near the end of the flight saying something along the lines of:

"Can I just say thank you very much for looking after me today, the service really was appreciated and enjoy your stopover in XXX"

I think the crew seem to appreciate a sincere plain old fashioned thanks and a ba.com well done or writing in to them.
IAN-UK and flygirl68 like this.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 1:19 am

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by MrsW
I wouldn’t take a gift with me for the crew but recently I was connecting at CDG. The cabin crew on my arriving flight had given me an unopened bottle of vino which I couldn’t take through security. I gave it to a member of security staff, asking her if she was allowed to keep it to save me from trashing it. She seemed genuinely pleased to be given a little gift.
I did the same last summer at AAL in Denmark, where the guy was very polite, gracious and helpful, first on the telephone and then in person at the airport when checking-in bags the night before a very early flight. I left 2 bottles of wine that we couldn't carry back with the counter staff that morning, she was quite miffed that he was getting it - was not sure that he would even get them...

This summer I met him again and he barely even said thanks - as it wasn't necessary as he was only doing his job. (I just asked him whether he had received it from the others...)

Originally Posted by PETER01
Personally and more so on longer flights/longhaul, on BA or any other airline if I have had a good flight with a good crew member or members I make a point of approaching them in the galley near the end of the flight saying something along the lines of:

"Can I just say thank you very much for looking after me today, the service really was appreciated and enjoy your stopover in XXX"

I think the crew seem to appreciate a sincere plain old fashioned thanks and a ba.com well done or writing in to them.
+1 for any airline crew.

I think steadman was expressing an opinion I share: it is an opinion relating to onboard consumption of gifts from passengers:

if there is no prohibition of the consumption on board by crew of foodstuffs given out by strangers, then there should be.

And if there exists a rule that explicitly permits crew to consume on board gifts from strangers, then that rule is misguided.

The risks are obvious.

But if gifts are your chosen medium for expressing gratitude, then it's probably more sensible to use cards, vouchers or other cash equivalents.
Concur wholeheartedly here.
offtothehills likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 2:39 am

Programs: Usual Amex Cent. GGL.

....but alarming that anything not supplied or sanctioned by the airline is consumed on the flight-deck
I am sorry that the real world has interfered with your (and others) preconceptions. But I am concerned that apparently you “grill” your friends (projection and all that). I ask my friends questions if I am unsure of the answer. I find it to be a useful device for establishing facts. I was surprised with the flight deck element of the response. I was not surprised by the crew enjoying sweets. A redeye is frequently boring for crew, blood sugar levels drop and an unexpected gift can be a small luxury.

PS I didn’t ask my shorthaul friends as I have a preconception that people don’t gift them.

Last edited by Deckard; Nov 6, 2017 at 2:48 am
Old Nov 6, 2017, 2:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The risks are obvious.
And are you better placed than those who do make the rules to make the risk assessment?
Deckard likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.