Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gifts for FAs?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2017, 4:11 pm

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
Someone gave the F crew a bag of Quality Street chocolates today on my flight to YYZ.

I asked the crew what they thought and they said they were happy.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by HilFly
I'm surprised that airlines do not have a strict policy of staff not accepting gifts from passengers. There are so many areas where things could go awry, including security concerns.
Yeah.... Exploding twix's often get through security don't they
Old Nov 3, 2017, 5:46 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by 1Aturnleft
Yeah.... Exploding twix's often get through security don't they
Contaminated ones do, though. @:-)
Old Nov 3, 2017, 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
Contaminated ones do, though. @:-)
True. Hadn't considered that.
And with the same logic we best all avoid the Club Kitchen then. Anyone could have tampered with that and snuck in a rogue contaminated pack of shortbread.

So a dry pasta collage of a dreamliner it is next time. The crew can decide who takes it home.

A friend of mine who used to fly for Airtours once forgot and left her uniform hat on the sink surface in one of the lavs during a preflight check. It was on a A330 where her position was the underfloor lavs (I think there were 4 lavs accessed by stairs to where some airlines install crew rest). Her duty that flight was directing passengers to whichever lav was free. Fast forward to the end of the flight and getting ready for arrival couldn't find her hat for the disembarkation. Found her hat as she checked on of the lavs with a load of loose change in it. Seem to recall it was enough for a few drinks for at least a few of the crew.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 8:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by robiles
maybe swears by it was the wrong term. He does it on most trips and believes that he receives but does not expect more personal service in return. I think it’s a cultural Think for me to find it awkward.
Cultural? It is so odd people do this, very strange behavior. FA’s are professionals.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 9:06 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
Originally Posted by TravellerFrequently
Someone gave the F crew a bag of Quality Street chocolates today on my flight to YYZ.

Happy enough that they offered the F chocolates to the pax?
Old Nov 3, 2017, 10:59 pm

Programs: Exec Club - Gold Member - yeah baby, Emerald Aisle Executive Elite - Woo, Marriott Silver Executive
Wow it is fascinating to read the huge range of opinions and responses on this topic.

I'm in the "sometimes gift" camp.

I started doing it when flying with my 3 kids. I still do that, but occasionally when I'm flying alone.

It's always a medium (one pound or so) duty free box of chocolates. I usually wander back to the galley after the first meal has been cleared and give it to whoever is back there.

I've never had a negative reaction. I just explain that it's something for the crew to share and enjoy. I don't think I've ever experienced any special attention or service in return, nor has any been expected.

I fly a fair amount (more than most, less that a lot on this forum) and make every effort to treat the crews of the planes I'm on as people. I also know that people can be pains in the ... and try not to be one of those.

The comments about safety and the risks of adulterated treats being given to crew baffle me.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 1:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by Harry Harry

....It's always a medium (one pound or so) duty free box of chocolates. I usually wander back to the galley after the first meal has been cleared and give it to whoever is back there.

I've never had a negative reaction...
It would be truly astonishing if crew were churlish and mean-sprited enough to register a negative reaction. But quite what they make of your largesse, Lord knows.

A better way of spreading love might be to make a contribution to charity via the envelopes many airlines provide. Tell the crew that their selfless devotion to passenger welfare inspired you to make the donation.
orbitmic and Randeep like this.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 2:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
To be honest, I’m not too sure what else they could have answered a passenger asking that question?
Old Nov 4, 2017, 3:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
I ...make every effort to treat the crews of the planes I'm on as people....
I'm not having a go at you, honest! But how else would you treat flight crew, than as people?

comments about safety and the risks of adulterated treats being given to crew baffle me.
It's surely not THAT difficult!

Introducing noxious substances into foodstuff and other goods is quite common as a form of aggression and extortion against supermarkets.

Surely it's not too taxing to see that similar behaviour could be used against airlines, where incapacitated crew would represent a significant threat to safety and security.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 6:18 am

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by orbitmic
To be honest, I’m not too sure what else they could have answered a passenger asking that question?
Probably, but there has been much speculation about what cabin crew would feel so I thought I would ask one in this exact situation. Perhaps I should not have asked?
Old Nov 4, 2017, 6:20 am
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
When I was traveling a lot with UA, I would always bring the crew some chocolates during the holidays. They seemed to be happy and thankful for them. Never once did they reject them. I didn't expect anything in return, just that during the busy holidays to brighten up their day a bit. I've also done it on BA and the crew were also thankful for the chocolates.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 6:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc

Probably, but there has been much speculation about what cabin crew would feel so I thought I would ask one in this exact situation. Perhaps I should not have asked?
there is nothing wrong about asking but unless you personally knew the fa, their answer would be the same (the one you got) regardless of whether they love or hate the principle.

Incidentally, perceptions of FA’s reactions on the thread has been more than mere speculation: some of our regular crew have posted and others have liked their posts. Of course they may not be representative and others might fas might feel differently but it is not mere speculation (they at least speak for themselves) and expressed in an anonymous, open, and generally less constrained environment than answering an unexpected customer question onboard.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
I always get a small box of chocolates/cookies for long flights.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 10:40 am

Programs: Meh
Wow it is fascinating to read the huge range of opinions and responses on this topic.

I'm in the "sometimes gift" camp.

I started doing it when flying with my 3 kids. I still do that, but occasionally when I'm flying alone.

It's always a medium (one pound or so) duty free box of chocolates. I usually wander back to the galley after the first meal has been cleared and give it to whoever is back there.

I've never had a negative reaction. I just explain that it's something for the crew to share and enjoy. I don't think I've ever experienced any special attention or service in return, nor has any been expected.

I fly a fair amount (more than most, less that a lot on this forum) and make every effort to treat the crews of the planes I'm on as people. I also know that people can be pains in the ... and try not to be one of those.

The comments about safety and the risks of adulterated treats being given to crew baffle me.
Sorry but I find this truly odd.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.