Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gifts for FAs?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2017, 9:54 am

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by amt
Do people not have any real friends or family to buy gifts for?
Well, some people fly on the same route quite regularly, and so do the crew - such as on the EWR-BOM-EWR United direct flights - I meet the same (rotated of course) FAs on this sector almost 90% of the time without fail - as they are senior enough to grab this long flight (and hours) in order to fly as few flights as possible...

Understand some pax (whom I have sat next to) "commute" to India in some form of fashion - and it's really an incredibly relaxing flight as well.

However, I haven't given them any gifts - and still get good to great service...

Originally Posted by passy777
I suspect the majority of crew just desire courtesy and respect from their passengers.
Yes, just this seems to do the job on the above flight - an ex-Continental sector, where the crew took pride in the service they provided earlier, now watered-down by United.

Originally Posted by seat38a
Giving a box of chocolate to transport crew that you see on a regular basis throughout the year during Christmas yes it is totally acceptable at least here in the US. We even give gifts to the UPS or FedEx driver that we see all year. When I used to commute regularly on Amtrak, I would give the crew small boxes of chocolate around Christmas. To give gifts to crew or workers that you've never seen before, outside of traditional gift giving time is creepy.
+1.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 10:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Here giving your postman/binman/newspaper boy a present is seen as odd yet giving your lawyer/accountant/doctor a present is normal even after they've charged you a ruddy fortune for their services. I'd give them sod all if it was up to me but I'm British. So I can accept why some people like to give cabin crew a present.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 10:13 am

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Here giving your postman/binman/newspaper boy a present is seen as odd yet giving your lawyer/accountant/doctor a present is normal even after they've charged you a ruddy fortune for their services. I'd give them sod all if it was up to me but I'm British. So I can accept why some people like to give cabin crew a present.
Wow - reinforces the divide I see over there...
Old Nov 2, 2017, 10:37 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
I'm in the "maybe on Christmas" camp.

Doing it on a random flight would range from weird to seriously creepy IMO, depending on the gift contents and the time and manner of gift giving.

On Christmas, or similarly significant local celebration (Diwali? Chinese New Year? Maybe), I can see something like a box of chocolates to share, as a token of appreciation that those poor sods have to work so that this poor sod can travel (still in all likelihood, this poor sod would really really prefer not to travel on Christmas just as well)
Old Nov 2, 2017, 10:59 am

It's interesting how cultural sensitivity in this context tends to be mono-directional. When I travel I'll be more sensitive to the surroundings in which I find myself. Which is why I've always tipped generously in a bar in New York, but never in Japan.

If crew tipping was a 'thing' on a particular airline/location (for crew you don't know/at the start of a flight) then I'd be minded to do it, but otherwise, why be insensitive to the situation one finds oneself in?

A good BA crewmember? - seek out the CSD/CSM and tell them personally, and/or fill in a ba.com/welldone form after (I'm assuming either of these will have an impact of some sort).
Old Nov 2, 2017, 11:08 am

Originally Posted by subject2load
"the same" .....
Is this a meaningful analogy ....?
Yes the same ☺
If you read my previous post on this thread, I said I would be (and am) comfortable presenting after the service if that far it had been above par.

By that time several hours in to a flight, some form of rapport has usually been built with at least one crew member so it doesn't feel awkward (to me) to present such a trivial token at that point. As opposed to at the boarding door to a total stranger.

I don't always see the same nursing team each visit nor is there any guarantee I'll have met the one treating me that day. So what. It's only cheap fun size chocolate, not diamonds or cash.

Although I do have a funny story about cash tips from a woman I know who used to fly as crew for Airtours! Maybe another time I'll share that one☺
Old Nov 2, 2017, 11:16 am

Programs: HH - Gold, BA - Blue
Yes,

I love it. The crews I work with love it.

It's not being creepy, it's being nice. You don't know what the flight out or back was like for the crew, sometimes a box / bag of chocolates and just make their day so much better.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 11:32 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Orange.Man
I love it. The crews I work with love it.
Is there a view as to whether to go posh or not? E.g. will a box of Celebrations do the trick better than Hotel Chocolat?
Old Nov 2, 2017, 11:44 am

Programs: HH - Gold, BA - Blue
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Is there a view as to whether to go posh or not? E.g. will a box of Celebrations do the trick better than Hotel Chocolat?
I don't know about BA, we'll accept anything.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 11:57 am

Programs: BAEC - Gold, IHG - Spire Ambassador
I wouldn’t take a gift with me for the crew but recently I was connecting at CDG. The cabin crew on my arriving flight had given me an unopened bottle of vino which I couldn’t take through security. I gave it to a member of security staff, asking her if she was allowed to keep it to save me from trashing it. She seemed genuinely pleased to be given a little gift.

Perhaps they all go through the bucket of bottled water, suncream, perfume, vino etc and divvy them up at the end of the day when the airport closes anyway......
Old Nov 2, 2017, 12:17 pm
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
I think that no wrong or right answers. Personally, I like to show appreciation of good work and pleasant demeanour. A genuine « Thank you for looking after me/us today » is quite enough. Actually not treating the crew as The Hired Help is good as well. Remember on CIHY’s flights ( you’ll know it’s him on boarding if there’s a walking aid in the background) don’t give chocolate, his uniform barely fits as it is.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 12:18 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Has to be class-based, surely ..... ??

F : Hotel Chocolat

J : Celebrations

Y : Woolworths pick n' mix *

*edit : oops .... no more Woolies (more's the pity ..... )
Old Nov 2, 2017, 12:24 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
@1aTurnleft - many thanks for coming back ^

I did check your earlier post, and yes, I did miss your point on the matter of 'timing' of the gift. Apologies for that.

Personally I can't see myself doing this at the end of a flight any more than I would at the start. But each to their own I guess, as already said.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by subject2load
Y : Woolworths pick n' mix *

*edit : oops .... no more Woolies (more's the pity ..... )
But what if you're flying from CPT or JNB?
Old Nov 2, 2017, 1:02 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Globaliser
But what if you're flying from CPT or JNB?
Or Sydney for that matter.

Though in true BA FT style, one could of course steal borrow a few handfuls from the jars in CCR JFK.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.