Wiki Posts
Search

Gifts for FAs?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2017, 10:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Platinum UK and related Hotel loyalty programs
Gifts for FAs?

What are people’s views on giving a small gift upon boarding to your FAs? Does it come across as shameless bribery or it’s it genuinely appreciated?
Old Nov 1, 2017, 10:43 am

Programs: BA Silver
Not very British IMO.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 10:46 am

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
I think a gift at the end of the flight to reward excellent service could well be appreciated, but we have Golden Tickets for that. A gift at the start of the service could well be misconstrued. And what happens if the service is really bad in spite of the gift? Are you going to ask for it back?
Old Nov 1, 2017, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Don’t like it one little bit, sorry.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 10:48 am

How is it not bribery if it's given before any service has been received?

Maybe it's acceptable at the end, but I'd imagine most staff are a little wary of gifts from the public anyway.
orbitmic and orlando flyer like this.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 10:50 am
Original Poster

I personally in general agree with the above statement just getting other opinions after reading a blog post who swears by it.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 10:51 am

Shameless bribery.
orbitmic likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 10:54 am

Programs: BA Exec Gold , Qatar Priviledge Club Plat
Have thought of it , but have never really decided to give it a go. I would only give the appropriate gift (chocolates , Turkish delight ... etc) at the end of the flight and ensure it was enough to cater the whole crew onboard in my cabin or whole cabin and flight crew for the entire flight ...

i would find it a tad embarrassing/cringe if someone saw me in the act of giving the gifts - that is maybe just me thou ...

I prefer to give gifts of appreciation via the compliment form on BA.com via the saying thank you form ...
argonath likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Swears by it for what reason, I find it just awkward and embarrassing?
If a customer wants to give a gift to thank the crew do it on disembarkation.
orbitmic, T8191, CaroFos and 2 others like this.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 11:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Can I help you
Swears by it for what reason, I find it just awkward and embarrassing?
If a customer wants to give a gift to thank the crew do it on disembarkation.
maybe swears by it was the wrong term. He does it on most trips and believes that he receives but does not expect more personal service in return. I think it’s a cultural Think for me to find it awkward.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 11:13 am

Programs: BA bronze, Hertz pres circle, Marriott Platinum, hilton diamond
Originally Posted by Flame3601
Have thought of it , but have never really decided to give it a go. I would only give the appropriate gift (chocolates , Turkish delight ... etc) at the end of the flight and ensure it was enough to cater the whole crew onboard in my cabin or whole cabin and flight crew for the entire flight ...

i would find it a tad embarrassing/cringe if someone saw me in the act of giving the gifts - that is maybe just me thou ...

I prefer to give gifts of appreciation via the compliment form on BA.com via the saying thank you form ...
I knew FAs that would smile sweetly accept them to not offend, and then bin it. They said they’d been advised not to eat anything given to them by customers.

Offering them a polo etc if you’re chatting to them and eating them is different to just handing them something at the end of a flight though and I’d always offer like that just out of basic manners
Old Nov 1, 2017, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I can tell you that on BA we look on it with suspicion.
T8191, CaroFos and jinglish like this.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 11:27 am

Programs: BA Exec Gold , Qatar Priviledge Club Plat
Originally Posted by aceman
I knew FAs that would smile sweetly accept them to not offend, and then bin it. They said they’d been advised not to eat anything given to them by customers.

Offering them a polo etc if you’re chatting to them and eating them is different to just handing them something at the end of a flight though and I’d always offer like that just out of basic manners
I see where you are coming from , but i would only give properly sealed and a well known branded product that clearly has not been tampered with or made not ideally edible after flying - so maybe they won't be thrown out . I would offer whatever I'm eating , if that snack was suitable for sharing if the situation arose, but sadly i do not keep any polos in my back pocket !

Maybe they would appreciate it if i asked would they like a slither of my Beef ( No pun intended ) during the meal service as a token of my appreciation for the service so far , can't see the problem seeing they cooked (reheated) it !

Originally Posted by Can I help you
I can tell you that on BA we look on it with suspicion.
Even if i said ," Please do not worry , I'm a GCH " or "It's okay, I'm on the BA Exec club forum on flyertalk.com " ...
Old Nov 1, 2017, 11:32 am

Originally Posted by robiles
maybe swears by it was the wrong term. He does it on most trips and believes that he receives but does not expect more personal service in return. I think it’s a cultural Think for me to find it awkward.
I suspect it is a gift for himself, rather than for the crew; he enjoys the appreciation that he craves.
LTN Phobia likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 11:32 am

Great. What am I supposed to do with all these 7ft high stuffed Harrods teddy bears now then?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.