Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FAQ : Status of on-board WiFi rollout on BA aircraft

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 1, 2017, 1:57 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sigma421
Onboard WiFi has been introduced to BA's fleet and is being marketed as Highlife Connect. This thread is to track the rollout. See https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb.../wifi-on-board for BA's FAQ on the system.

Long-haul aircraft with WiFi fitted

A350-1000 - All fitted (12 aircraft).

A380 - All fitted (12 aircraft)

777-200ER - All fitted (43 aircraft)

777-300ER - All fitted (16 aircraft)

787-8 - 0/12 aircraft

787-9 - 14/18 aircraft

G-ZBKA, G-ZBKB, G-ZBKC, G-ZBKD, G-ZBKG, G-ZBKH, G-ZBKI, G-ZBKJ, G-ZBKK, G-ZBKL, G-ZBKM, G-ZBKN, G-ZBKO, G-ZBKP

787-10 - All fitted (2 aircraft).

BA are currently trialling free WiFi in first class cabins. For those in other cabins the current cost on all long-haul aircraft is:
  • 1 hour: £7.99
  • 4 hours: £17.99
  • Full flight: up to £23.99 depending on route

Note that prices and services offered are subject to change.
Long-haul aircraft still to be fitted with WiFi

787-8 - G-ZBJA/B/C/D/E/F/G/H/I/J/K/M

787-9 - G-ZBKE/F/R/S
Short-haul and mid-haul aircraft known to have WiFi fitted and enabled

The majority of aircraft have wi-fi equipment fitted with the exception of those expected to retire within the next few years. Wi-fi equipment is installed after delivery and the rate at which this happens appears to have slowed down post-COVID.
A319 - 12/29 Aircraft

G-EUOA
G-EUPL/M/N/O/P/R/S/T/U/Y/Z

A320 - 61/67 Aircraft

G-EUUA/B/C/E/F/G/H/I/J/K/L/M/N/O/P/R/T/U/V/W/X/Y/Z
G-EUYA/B/D/E/G/H/I/J/K/L/M/N/O/P/R/S/T/U/V/W/X
G-GATH/J/K/M/N/P/R/S/U
G-MEDK
G-MIDO/S/T/X/Y
G-TTOB/E

A320neo - 17/20 Aircraft

G-TTNA/B/C/D/E/F/G/H/I/J/K/L/M/N/O/P/Q/R

Wi-fi installation has not yet occurred for aircraft delivered from October 2022 onwards.

A321 - 15/18 Aircraft

G-EUXC/D/E/F/G/H/I/J/K/L/M
G-MEDL/M/N

A321neo - All fitted (10 aircraft)

The price of WiFi on short-haul flights varies according to the length of the route. The following prices are known:

Messaging - £1.99 or £2.99 depending on flight distance.

Browse & Stream (one hour) - £4.99

Browse & Stream (whole flight)
£4.99 (MAN / NCL)
£6.99 (ARN / HAM)
£7.99 (KRK / LIS / MAS / PMI)
£8.99 (AGP)
£9.99 (LED / SOF)
£11.99 (LCA)

Short-haul aircraft not planned to receive WiFi due to retirement

A319 - 18 Aircraft

G-EUOE/F/G
G-EUPD/G/J/K/W
G-DBCA/B/C/D/E/F/G/H/J/K

Background information:
Print Wikipost

FAQ : Status of on-board WiFi rollout on BA aircraft

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2017, 2:31 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by simons1
Well I suppose BA could 'self sponsor' too. Particularly for BAEC status members.
I'd say no thanks to that. I'd rather pay and get a decent speed than have it free with a lot of people doing video streaming just because it's free and slowing it right down.
dylanks likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 5:14 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold
BA travel trade site reporting launch is starting December 2017:

Customers will soon be able to connect to the internet as we aim to have 90% of our fleet installed with Hi-Speed Wi-Fi by 2019, starting with 4 of our longhaul aircraft* by the end of this year.

We will have two packages available to purchase onboard starting from £4.99:
  1. BROWSE for email, messaging, browsing the web and social media (excluding streaming)
  2. STREAM with faster speeds that support streaming services such as music and videos

For a limited period thanks to our partner Visa, we are offering all customers flying on a Wi-Fi enabled aircraft one hour of free browsing connectivity until the end of January. If the aircraft is enabled, an announcement will be made by the cabin crew and instructions will be available on how to register and log on by joining the ‘BA Wi-Fi’ network.

*selected 747 Super High J’s and 777-300
Old Dec 13, 2017, 11:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
On BA192 via G-CIVX right now about to descend to LHR.

FA made an announcement about the wifi as we were taxiing out. She said "As of yesterday, (12 Dec) every BA jumbo is wifi equipped".

Remarks about the wifi service...

1. It's very annoying that you cannot sign into GoGo. I tried all sorts of things, but was only able to pay / connect as a guest. This meant I could only connect one device. On AA, you sign in and can switch from laptop to smartphone during the flight. This was not the case with the HighLife Connect.

2. Speeds were really slow for most of the flight, and connection was back and forth a lot. Doesn't seem to be as stable as AA's Panasonic from my experience.

3. Pricing is good, though.

Nice to finally be able to connect on the BA longhauls. This might cause me to fly BA TATL more frequently vs. AA. Might.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 1:20 am

Programs: BAEC Blue (back to Earth)
Most of them lack the WiFi antenna on the rear fuselage, I think only the four as per the wiki are equipped, they are well behind.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 1:39 pm

Location: San Francisco, CA USA // UA 1K 2 Million Miler, AA EXP 2MM, HH Diamond, SPG Plat // Easily found on SFO-ORDs
Had it recently LHR-SFO. No announcement made whatsoever -- in fact, when I asked crew about it, they said they'd been instructed NOT to announce anything about it.

I couldn't do any kind of account setup -- had to sign in as a guest.

Over far-north Canada, we lost connectivity for ~30 min. Afterwards, Gogo wanted me to repurchase access. I live-chatted and got them to give me a promo code to pay for resumption of service.

It was highly spotty and slow. Some websites more responsive than others.

Happy to have it, but it's far from a smooth experience yet.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 6:09 am

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
Just flew G-CIVF yesterday to DFW. No wifi. FYI.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 12:27 pm

Programs: BA GGL; Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by econometrics
Just flew G-CIVF yesterday to DFW. No wifi. FYI.
Ditto for G-CIVV to JFK yesterday.
econometrics likes this.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 7:27 am

Programs: "Only" 50,000 TPs until BA GGLfL
Dumb question - why the antenna housed on top of the fuselage in a not-so-aerodynamic box as opposed to in the top of the tailfin?
Old Dec 22, 2017, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It would be awfully embarrassing if 2 Star SkyTrax rated Ukraine International (PS) were to have Wi-Fi on their four second hand 772's before BA.

Isn't it years since BA announced this Wi-Fi rollout? PS stated they were getting 772's in October and will take delivery in March, the a/c are coming from AI where it was not installed.
Old Dec 25, 2017, 1:24 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by alexwuk
Dumb question - why the antenna housed on top of the fuselage in a not-so-aerodynamic box as opposed to in the top of the tailfin?
There is a lot involved in the periphery of the antenna, so the 3 ft antenna is better fitted on the fuselage. More here: https://runwaygirlnetwork.com/2014/1...enna-blisters/
Tobias-UK likes this.
Old Dec 25, 2017, 3:47 pm

Programs: "Only" 50,000 TPs until BA GGLfL
Originally Posted by oliver2002
There is a lot involved in the periphery of the antenna, so the 3 ft antenna is better fitted on the fuselage. More here: https://runwaygirlnetwork.com/2014/1...enna-blisters/
Interesting article, but it doesn't really answer the key part of the question: why punch a hole in the top of the fuselage and add high-drag button as opposed to the Aircraft OEM including an empty "antenna box" in the upper-most part of the tailfin?
Old Dec 25, 2017, 7:06 pm

Interesting article, but it doesn't really answer the key part of the question: why punch a hole in the top of the fuselage and add high-drag button as opposed to the Aircraft OEM including an empty "antenna box" in the upper-most part of the tailfin?
Maybe they will in future. Current WiFi antennae wouldn't fit and even the latest aircraft were on the drawing board long before onboard WiFi became a common thing.
alexwuk likes this.
Old Dec 26, 2017, 1:38 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
The antenna box there is not meant for satellite antennae... plus you probably don"t want to add weight and drag to a tail fin that is designed differently...
alexwuk likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 3:04 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Priority Club Gold, Herts Pres Circle
Originally Posted by MFCC
777s should begin to have WiFi fitted soon, with the first aircraft to have it installed being G-STBB, a 77W.
Had this plane on 9th Dec to SYD but no WiFi sadly.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 3:13 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL, Hilton Diamond, Marriott GOLD, Accor Club Gold
Wifi on 777

I had a very surprising experience this evening. I was on BA164 TLV/LHR, which is served by a 777 - and as I was getting ready to put my iPhone into flight mode at Ben Gurion, I noticed a wifi network labelled BAWifi. I mentioned this to one of the cabin crew, who denied it could be the case, because it was only being rolled out on 747s, but he was wrong, and the CSM made an announcement about it just before taxi/take-off. Like the cabin crew member, I had thought it was only on a few 747s, but clearly the roll out is going out more widely.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.