On-board WiFi: soft launch is underway

    Hide Wikipost
Old May 21, 19, 9:28 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: Schind
Wiki Link
Onboard WiFi is being progessively introduced to both BA's long and shorthaul fleets and is being marketed as Highlife Connect. This thread is to track the rollout.

See https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb.../wifi-on-board for BA's FAQ on the system.

Longhaul aircraft with WiFi fitted
A380 - 6/12 Aircraft

G-XLEA, G-XLEB, G-XLEC, G-XLEG, G-XLEH, G-XLEI

747 (Super Hi-J) - 17/18 Aircraft (one will not be getting wifi)

G-BYGA, G-BYGB, G-BYGC, G-BYGD, G-BYGE, G-BYGF, G-BYGG
G-CIVF, G-CIVH, G-CIVI, G-CIVR, G-CIVS, G-CIVV, G-CIVW, G-CIVX, G-CIVY, G-CIVZ

777-200 (4 Class) - 24/30 Aircraft (three will not be getting wifi)

G-RAES
​​​​​​G-VIIA, G-VIIC, G-VIID, G-VIIE, G-VIIF, G-VIIG, G-VIIH, G-VIIJ, G-VIIK, G-VIIL, G-VIIM, G-VIIN, G-VIIS, G-VIIV, G-VIIW, G-VIIY
G-YMMH, G-YMMJ, G-YMMK, G-YMML, G-YMMN, G-YMMO, G-YMMP

​​​​​​777-200 (3 Class) - 15/16 Aircraft

G-VIIO, G-VIIP, G-VIIR, G-VIIU, G-VIIX
G-YMMA, G-YMMB, G-YMMC, G-YMMD, G-YMME, G-YMMF, G-YMMR, G-YMMS, G-YMMT, G-YMMU

777-300 - 8/12 Aircraft

G-STBA, G-STBB, G-STBC, G-STBD, G-STBE, G-STBG, G-STBI, G-STBL

787-9 - 4/18 Aircraft

G-ZBKH, G-ZBKI, G-ZBKJ, G-ZBKK


This is the current cost for longhaul flights:

Basic (Browse package)
  • 1 hour: £4.99
  • 4 hours: £10.99
  • Full flight: £14.99

Fast (Stream package)
  • 1 hour: £7.99
  • 4 hours: £17.99
  • Full flight: £23.99
Longhaul aircraft still to be fitted with WiFi
WiFi installation on the remaining longhaul aircraft in operation is expected to be completed in 2020. Dates shown below are roughly when each aircraft is planned to return to service having undergone WiFi installation. Aircraft are listed firstly by type, then listed by planned return to service date.

Information shown may subject to change and is based on info posted in this thread.


A380

G-XLEJ - 18 June (Currently at MNL)
G-XLED - 18 August
G-XLEE - 24 October
G-XLEK - 29 November
G-XLEF - February 2020
G-XLEL - 2020

777-200 (4 Class)

G-YMMG - 26 May (Currently at CWL)
G-VIIB - 30 June
G-YMMI - 13 July

777-200 (3 Class)

G-VIIT - 24 October

​​​​​​777-300

G-STBK - 18 June
G-STBH - 27 November
G-STBF - 2020
G-STBJ - 2020

787-8

G-ZBJA - 2020
G-ZBJB - 2020
G-ZBJC - 2020
G-ZBJD - 2020
G-ZBJE - 2020
G-ZBJF - 2020
G-ZBJG - 2020
G-ZBJH - 2020
G-ZBJI - 2020
G-ZBJJ - 2020
G-ZBJK -2020
G-ZBJM - 2020

787-9

G-ZBKL - 3 July
G-ZBKM - 12 July
G-ZBKG - 20 July
G-ZBKN - 28 July
G-ZBKO - 20 August
G-ZBKP - 22 November
G-ZBKA - 2020
G-ZBKB - 2020
G-ZBKC - 2020
G-ZBKD - 2020
G-ZBKE - 2020
G-ZBKF - 2020
G-ZBKR - 2020
G-ZBKS - 2020

Longhaul aircraft planned NOT to have WiFi fitted
BA have decided to not fit WiFi to the aircraft listed below. Some of the aircraft are due to be retired from the fleet over the next two years. This is thought to be part of the reason for not fitting them with WiFi.

747 (Mid-J) - 16 Aircraft

G-BNLN, G-BNLY
G-CIVA, G-CIVB, G-CIVC, G-CIVD, G-CIVE, G-CIVJ, G-CIVK, G-CIVL, G-CIVM, G-CIVN, G-CIVO, G-CIVP, G-CIVT, G-CIVU

747 (Super Hi-J) - 1 Aircraft

G-CIVG

777-200 (4 Class) - 3 Aircraft

G-ZZZA, G-ZZZB, G-ZZZC

Short and midhaul aircraft known to have WiFi fitted and enabled
Following testing the system went live on the first few aircraft in March 2019 with full rollout expected by summer 2019.

A319 - 3 Aircraft

G-EUPM, G-EUPR, G-EUPZ

A320 - 14 Aircraft

G-EUUJ, G-EUUM, G-EUUN
G-EUYD, G-EUYE, G-EUYG, G-EUYI, G-EUYL, G-EUYT, G-EUYX
G-GATK, G-GATM, G-GATP
G-TTOE

A320neo - 2 Aircraft

G-TTNC, G-TTNJ

A321 - 2 Aircraft

G-EUXE, G-EUXL

The cost of wifi on shorthaul flights is dependant on the route. So far the following prices are known:-

Messaging - £1.99 or £2.99 depending on distance.

Browse & Stream (whole flight)
£4.99 (MAN / NCL)
£6.99 (HAM)
£7.99 (LIS / PMI)
£8.99 (AGP)
£9.99 (SOF)

There have also been one hour browse & stream packages available for £4.99 reported on the LGW-PMI and LHR-SOF routes. It remains to be seen if this is a permanent feature or price-testing as the service rolls out.

Shorthaul aircraft NOT planned to receive WiFi
BA plan to withdraw a number of their A319 aircraft over the next two years. As a result the aircraft listed below will not be fitted with WiFi.

A319 - 30 Aircraft

G-EUOB to I
G-EUPA to K, G-EUPW
G-DBCA-H, G-DBCJ, G-DBCK

Background information:
Print Wikipost

Reply

Old Dec 2, 17, 10:12 am
  #76  
Moderator: Qatar Airways
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: LHR/NCE/DOH
Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL/CCR, QR Insider, SQ Gold, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Posts: 7,285
Do any of the 787-9's have WiFi?

I was parked up next to G-ZBKE, and the below showed on my Available Networks.

M
msm2000uk is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 17, 11:22 am
  #77  
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: LHR
Posts: 470
Originally Posted by msm2000uk View Post
Do any of the 787-9's have WiFi?

I was parked up next to G-ZBKE, and the below showed on my Available Networks.

M
Yes they do have a WiFi of sorts, but not for customers' use (or even crew's). Basically, when the plane lands it "downloads" its status so that Engineering can see what awaits them onboard even before having to debrief the pilots and check the log.

Had to explain this to a customer some time ago and he wouldn't just understand this or admit that this could be a possibility. It was all a ploy to prevent him from using "our" Wifi.
13900 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 17, 11:42 am
  #78  
Moderator: Qatar Airways
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: LHR/NCE/DOH
Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL/CCR, QR Insider, SQ Gold, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Posts: 7,285
Originally Posted by 13900 View Post
Yes they do have a WiFi of sorts, but not for customers' use (or even crew's). Basically, when the plane lands it "downloads" its status so that Engineering can see what awaits them onboard even before having to debrief the pilots and check the log.

Had to explain this to a customer some time ago and he wouldn't just understand this or admit that this could be a possibility. It was all a ploy to prevent him from using "our" Wifi.
Ah very interesting - thanks for the info 13900.

M
msm2000uk is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 17, 7:49 am
  #79  
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: London, United Kingdom
Programs: BA Lifetime Gold;BA GGL, CCR; hhonors diamond; SPG LTG ; IH Plat Amb; Amex Centurion;
Posts: 4,378
well, no more planes seem to have been added recently...

This may be a very slow roll-out.
hsmall is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 17, 12:05 pm
  #80  
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: LHR
Posts: 470
Originally Posted by msm2000uk View Post
Ah very interesting - thanks for the info 13900.

M
No worries

Originally Posted by hsmall View Post
well, no more planes seem to have been added recently...

This may be a very slow roll-out.
As far as I can hear, and bear in mind this is third-fourth-hand rumours, the provider is having troubles on performance. It's not as bad as the product on SH (which on paper should be a lot easier as it relies on cell towers on the ground), which is having even technical-legal larger issues, or so I understand. Bottom line, it's not as easy as it seems and for once I'm glad our bosses have learned the importance of not going 'gung-ho'. BoB and other initiatives have given a good lesson.
Tobias-UK and frank_poulankh like this.
13900 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 17, 7:58 pm
  #81  
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 5,521
Originally Posted by 13900 View Post
No worries
As far as I can hear, and bear in mind this is third-fourth-hand rumours, the provider is having troubles on performance. It's not as bad as the product on SH (which on paper should be a lot easier as it relies on cell towers on the ground), which is having even technical-legal larger issues, or so I understand. Bottom line, it's not as easy as it seems and for once I'm glad our bosses have learned the importance of not going 'gung-ho'. BoB and other initiatives have given a good lesson.
That all sounds rather like the aircraft cleaning excuse. Bigger and more complex fleets than BA's seem to be managing it so why are BA having such difficulties.
1010101 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 17, 9:53 pm
  #82  
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Diamond
Posts: 247
Iíve been travelling on various airlines for two months now with WiFi.
YMMV but hereís what Iíve found.
  1. Emirates when working itís not bad BUT they have a lot of downtime taking up cabin crew time trying to sort.
  2. American - very good
  3. Virgin Australia- good
The technology is there but there are still issues and they can possibly become service complaints so I guess I can kinda see BA being cautious

That said the $19 for entire flight connection AA charges is good value and of course extra revenue
Telecasterman is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 17, 11:43 pm
  #83  
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: LHR
Posts: 470
Originally Posted by 1010101 View Post
That all sounds rather like the aircraft cleaning excuse. Bigger and more complex fleets than BA's seem to be managing it so why are BA having such difficulties.
Turns out I was (partially) wrong. Again, 3rd-hand-info, so might or mightn't be true and as usual, my view not BA's.

Seems that the first few aircrafts were the "pilot", a bit like a new seat need some "shakedown" flights to be then OK'd by the CAA. Now the full roll-out Wi-Fi on longhaul has the green light by the authorities and, more importantly has been authorised by finance. I've been told that whatever target was decided and broadcasted at end of year results / capital markets day will be aimed for, so they're ramping up the work.

Only caveat is for the 787 fleet: considering much of them is now a paperweight due to the RR Trent 1000 issues, there might be delays on that point.
13900 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 17, 1:30 am
  #84  
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 6,246
Is this really such a big job? It's not as if wifi on aircraft is that cutting edge any more - other airlines have had it for some time.

If this all trundles along like the CW catering and bedding roll out it could clearly take a little time (translate as 'if you a LGW traveller don't hold your breath).

On the 787s, if they are going to be sat around awaiting engines then surely a good opportunity to handle it.
simons1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 17, 5:58 am
  #85  
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Arizona
Programs: BA (GGL), AA (statusless), HH (Diamond);
Posts: 2,723
Originally Posted by simons1 View Post
Is this really such a big job? It's not as if wifi on aircraft is that cutting edge any more - other airlines have had it for some time.
Based on various videos such as
, it's not as simple as sticking a router on the aircraft and calling it done. That said, it's a relatively simply upgrade once the process is streamlined. My understanding is that if all goes according to plan, it can be done in a day or two.
dylanks is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 17, 1:35 pm
  #86  
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 127
Originally Posted by dylanks View Post
My understanding is that if all goes according to plan, it can be done in a day or two.
It can be done in just under two days at the moment. This time last year it was taking three and a half days so they're improving.
Part of the reason for the lack of instalations is that Gogo have a backlog of nearly 1500 aircraft worldwide waiting to be fitted. They announced that as of October 31st they'd fitted the 2Ku system on 322 planes in 2017 so far, so their backlog is about four years at the current rate although I expect that will decrease as everything ramps up.
Schind is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 17, 1:46 pm
  #87  
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 127
Originally Posted by simons1 View Post

On the 787s, if they are going to be sat around awaiting engines then surely a good opportunity to handle it.
Gogo haven't got clearance to fit the system onto 787's yet as far as I'm aware. You have to bear in mind this is a fairly new system and every type of plane has to get an STC from the regulator before it can be fitted. The last press release I saw from Gogo on this subject was in September. It didn't mention the 787 or A380 as planes they have STC's for. Even the 767 is mentioned as a type they were hoping to get clearance for 'later this year'.

Gogo Inflight Internet Gogo Receives Regulatory Approval to Install 2Ku on Boeing 777 Aircraft - Gogo Concourse
Schind is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 17, 1:50 pm
  #88  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Programs: American Airlines AAdvantage, Rapids Reward
Posts: 33,705
Finally! I can used wifi on 747-400 aircraft. I am not quite sure about short-haul from UK to European flight. When they will installed wifi?
N830MH is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 17, 2:06 pm
  #89  
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Arizona
Programs: BA (GGL), AA (statusless), HH (Diamond);
Posts: 2,723
Originally Posted by Schind View Post
It can be done in just under two days at the moment. This time last year it was taking three and a half days so they're improving.
Part of the reason for the lack of instalations is that Gogo have a backlog of nearly 1500 aircraft worldwide waiting to be fitted. They announced that as of October 31st they'd fitted the 2Ku system on 322 planes in 2017 so far, so their backlog is about four years at the current rate although I expect that will decrease as everything ramps up.
Thanks for confirming my rough estimation, and clarifying the details about Gogo!
dylanks is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 17, 2:13 pm
  #90  
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Posts: 38,080
Originally Posted by N830MH View Post
Finally! I can used wifi on 747-400 aircraft. I am not quite sure about short-haul from UK to European flight. When they will installed wifi?
It starts next year for shorthaul, apparently. The idea was that 90% of BA's fleet would be on Highlife Connect by the end of 2018, but that seems optimistic.
corporate-wage-slave is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread