Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Should BA have a dress code?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2017, 1:47 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
I would be in favour of some basic standards: no denim, no bare feet, no uncovered shoulders, no single-cuff shirts, oh and no bowler hats in F.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by Jimmie76
I wear the same red and white Hawaiian shirt and grey trousers etc. whenever I travel (except the very rare times I travel for work) and I don't intend to change. I have had BA staff comment on my shirt (positively* ) ....
I would not wear one of my [genuine, HNL] Hawaiian shirts anywhere in Hawaii, as it would make me look like a tourist

I do, however, wear them in other places, where my good taste seems to attract positive comments. But NOT on a BA flight! What next, a baseball cap worn backwards for some irrational reason? A Safari Suit on the way to NYC? A Hula skirt for Madam on the way to Malta?

For Heaven's sake, we are [mainly] BRITISH. Let's show the World we still know how to dress, and conduct ourselves] in public. Wherever we may be.

PS: I'm not taking my Tweed Suit to Hawaii, as it may be a bit warm there. My Empire Shorts, Khaki shirt and Solar Topee will suffice.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 2:14 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Dress code on a LCC?
Old Aug 8, 2017, 2:16 pm

Programs: BA bronze
It's a big fat no from me.

I don't spend my hard earnt cash to then be dictated to by BA on what I should wear.

Old Aug 8, 2017, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by msm2000uk
Presumably, if there is a Dress Code introduced, PUCCI GALORE would be in charge of it, and would wander around the Lounges armed with her hair-brush collection to keep the high standards?

M
One can only hope
Old Aug 8, 2017, 2:27 pm

Programs: BA Bronze! Avis PC
Oh please seriously? This forum is wonderfully informative but totally deluded. Hilarious
Old Aug 8, 2017, 2:45 pm

Programs: AY+ Gold, SK EBS
Originally Posted by muscat
Saudia have just announced a dress code. Shouldn't BA raise standards by doing the same?
Quote: Details of the dress code featured on Saudia Airlines website show that the airline requires guests to dress in a way that does not 'cause offense or discomfort to other passengers'. eg no shorts for men, no tight clothes for women....
late to this but can I get a 'lol no'?
Old Aug 8, 2017, 3:20 pm

Programs: Ex-Bonvoyed, Hyatt, Hilton, BR, AC, AA
Originally Posted by Speedbird218
It's a big fat no from me.

I don't spend my hard earnt cash to then be dictated to by BA on what I should wear.

Amen. Who is BA to tell me whether I can wear t-shirts with naked ladies and profanities printed on them? I spent hard earned cash on the flight, I should be able to dress as tastelessly as I want. In fact, BA should allow me to take a dump in the aisle if I so wish

I am a paying customer! /s
Old Aug 8, 2017, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
The words 'Saudi(a)' and 'dress code' in the same sentence can only make one feel incredibly nervous.

In any case, absolutely not, there should be no dress code on BA planes, in BA lounges, or anything of the sort. At all. Ever.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 4:01 pm

Programs: BA, KLM, Alitalia
The most offencive, deplorable, hatefull and ethicless people I have come across in my live tended to be well dressed.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 4:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: Life Miles, Miles and more
Originally Posted by Crismyth
The most offencive, deplorable, hatefull and ethicless people I have come across in my live tended to be well dressed.
Politicians or lawyers?

The old saying needs to be adapted, there are three certainties in life: death, taxes, and each generation bemoaning the collapse in standards of the one following.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 4:39 pm

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
I remember in one of my very early posts on here I discovered Pucci's wrath when I complained about the dress standards in Club (one of my first disappointments) when I first started to travel for work - shocked at the ripped jeans and tatty shirts. Her line was if you've paid for a seat, wear basically what you want.

As a more experienced traveller I totally agree. And as such I have to disagree with some of the comments on here - you obviously haven't travelled enough. Why would any sane person living in, for example, Australia travelling in the summer put on long trousers when they would spend 95% of their free time in shorts. Having travelled Cairns to Brisbane in the summer, I'm not likely to change into trousers - an aircraft cabin isn't a religious site, but a mode of transport. And singlets/vests don't necessarily mean smelly. Someone wearing a polyester suit and shirt is probably going to be sweating a hell of a lot more than someone in a cotton singlet. I've been stuck on a BA flight from a hot Miami next to a woman who's heavy long thick skirt and other clothing had caused a foul odour to be emitted from her. Thankfully after 2 bottles of red I managed to sleep most of the flight!!
Old Aug 8, 2017, 6:21 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by deadinabsentia
Maybe thats a sign I've become 'old' now.. nothing wrong with dressing for an occasion.

Has travel become so pedestrian that going from NYC to Paris isn't an occasion for the average person.
I think that is actually the case. To me, flying, regardless of the cabin, is no different from catching a bus. I suspect that is the case for a lot of people and they just want to be comfortable in whatever they are wearing.

I'm not saying that because I dress slackly when travelling. Whether it's a bus or first class I am never dressed in anything less than a decent length of skirt, a business shirt or a fairly nice top and a jacket, or a dress and a jacket (unless I change to the pyjamas) and always wear tights (pantyhose to those of you who aren't British English speaking) even when I am in the pyjamas because I do not think my bare feet are nice to expose to others. That includes the summer as well, except when the temperature is too high for that (25+). But that's because I am comfortable travelling that way, not because I consider any travel element to be an occasion.

I do get mistaken for travelling that way because I consider it necessary to dress smartly to travel. Not at all... I dress like that to go to a local newsagent or a supermarket.

Do dress up if you wish, or dress down - as long as it's not too offensive, most people don't mind. I did feel a bit uncomfortable when the chap nearby had his private parts nearly peeking out of his shorts though... it was very much in my line of sight unless I was consciously not looking in that direction.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 6:43 pm

Programs: EK Silver, QR Gold
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
A dress code? Of course, all for the dress code. I think everyone should be made to wear a dress.

"Not wearing a dress? Oh dear, you're denied boarding! Or you could change into [offer a wide range of dresses]"
This sounds like an enhancement that could give them an extra revenue, renting tuxes and dresses out for the duration of your flight.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 6:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Strangely enough with J and F travel being so affordable it's the ones from the council estates who are more likely to take the effort to dress up when flying nowadays.
It's that IT lot flying for work purposes who are the scruffy ones.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.