Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Should BA have a dress code?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2017, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by MrsW
Yes - passengers should dress for the body they have, not the body they want.
... and the age they have attained!

Nice post, MrsW ^
Old Aug 8, 2017, 12:51 pm

Programs: DL, Marriott & IHG Platty; HH Diamonte
Originally Posted by T8191

Anyway, glad to note a few here know about "brown shoes in Country, black shoes in Town".
Where I live, it is straw on Memorial Day and felt on Labor Day.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 12:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: Taiwan is a country.
Originally Posted by muscat
Saudia have just announced a dress code. Shouldn't BA raise standards by doing the same?
Quote: Details of the dress code featured on Saudia Airlines website show that the airline requires guests to dress in a way that does not 'cause offense or discomfort to other passengers'. eg no shorts for men, no tight clothes for women....
Hate to disagree with majority, but one of the reasons I love Argentina is the 'formality' of the day to day..

Many many years ago.. as a 12 year old (many years...) my parents always had me in long pants and a jacket to travel.
I respect different cultures and points of view, but recently sat in Business across from someone in swim short and t shirt, who at one point used his electric shaver.. why seated in the cabin...

Where is the line if we ever have one?

Perhaps jackets are now out of common fashion.. but a collared shirt?
Not cleaning your ears or shaving?

Come on.

Last edited by deadinabsentia; Aug 8, 2017 at 1:00 pm Reason: spelling
Old Aug 8, 2017, 1:04 pm

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Would have been less bothering, the shaving part, if the man was dressed in collared shirt and pants?

Clothes are a matter of personal taste (and/or culture).
Behavior is on a bit different level.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
A dress code? Of course, all for the dress code. I think everyone should be made to wear a dress.

"Not wearing a dress? Oh dear, you're denied boarding!
Or you could change into [offer a wide range of dresses]"
You may jest but the exact opposite happened to SarahWest of these very forums (but in reverse) and she was kicked off a United Airlines flight. [Read more here http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/1527954.stm] I've had dinner with Sarah (who is charming) at a Do and United needed hang their heads in shame then as they did after the David Dao incident this year.

Last edited by Jimmie76; Aug 8, 2017 at 1:33 pm
Old Aug 8, 2017, 1:08 pm

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
Originally Posted by T8191
I had a [civilian] DD at NATS who wore brown suede shoes with his blue suit. When he started commenting on my 'exuberant' shirt/tie combination, I just had to respond

As to the RAF Club, I resigned many, many years ago.
I spoke to a group of POCs recently. Of those that were in suits, most were blue with brown shoes.

I wish I could say any of them were wearing an exhuberant tie but it was universally dreary.

I have thankfully never been inside the RAF Club. I'd make a dig but our Club choices are uncertain at best.

Edit: Sorry for the poor post proofing, far too I, I, I ....

Last edited by krispy84; Aug 8, 2017 at 1:13 pm Reason: Apology
Old Aug 8, 2017, 1:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Of course. No shorts, no flip flops, no wife-beaters. Instead, get yourself some nice cranberry trousers and a blazer.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 1:13 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Lefly
Would have been less bothering, the shaving part, if the man was dressed in collared shirt and pants?

Clothes are a matter of personal taste (and/or culture).
Behavior is on a bit different level.
Neither would have been acceptable a few decades ago, and the former was shocking to witness.

One would think if one had the sense to dress properly, they might be clever enough to realise that shaving in your seat was also not acceptable.

I do hear you Lefly.. what business is of anyones.. except in my circle if I was to go a Christmas Ball or formal charity event in less than suit, ideally Tux, id likely need to find a different employer.

Not withstanding current social climate, one doesn't turn up a job interview in a swim suit, one requires shoes and shirt to enter a 7/11.. there are existing standards. I don't see having one for travel too onerous.

I'm the first to change into my Pj's aboard (wearing CX F ones whilst I type this), which affords me comfort , and leaves my outer wear fresh for arrival.

Maybe thats a sign I've become 'old' now.. nothing wrong with dressing for an occasion.

Has travel become so pedestrian that going from NYC to Paris isn't an occasion for the average person.

just my opinion.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 1:14 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by krispy84
in suits, most were blue with brown shoes.

Brown belt? all good. I do that look a lot.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 1:14 pm
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
No.
And this has no links to BA/BAEC
Old Aug 8, 2017, 1:18 pm

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
Yes = ) No sports jerseys, no flip flops and sandals(Saves people with dirty feet on board), no shorts for men and no bare shoulders for woman or excessively short skirts!

Oh, and no smelling bad please, I have had it with smelly people who wear expensive clothes but cannot practice basic hygene! go to the airport bathroom beforehand if you didnt want to/couldnt shower!

Will make for a better environment for all on board
i agree
Old Aug 8, 2017, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
I wear the same red and white Hawaiian shirt and grey trousers etc. whenever I travel (except the very rare times I travel for work) and I don't intend to change. I have had BA staff comment on my shirt (positively* ) and in one case during a stop in MLE I was asked if I remembered where I purchased it and for how much. I do to the former but not the latter, the shop is sadly long gone.

*well to my face anyway.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 1:22 pm
V10

Programs: MUCCI Gold
Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
Oh, and no smelling bad please, I have had it with smelly people who wear expensive clothes but cannot practice basic hygene! go to the airport bathroom beforehand if you didnt want to/couldnt shower!
Perhaps this will work in the business lounges, but with some general airport bathrooms you are guaranteed to come out smelling worse than you did when you went in. (Hello, RUH)
Old Aug 8, 2017, 1:40 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Comparing Saudia to BA is silly... Let me know when Easyjet starts with a dress code.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 1:45 pm

Absolutely not!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.