Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Safety Video

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2018, 7:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Misco60
I honestly have no idea who she is. I'm assuming she's a singer and has had a hit record whose title is something about being hard on yourself, but don't really see why that would make you laugh every time.

(And she's right - "that wasn't very good, was it?" )
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
She is also the most successful solo UK female singer of all time, as of 30 March 2018 when These Days got to number 1, so I suspect you are heading towards the latter options. I think the idea is that not everyone will know all the celebs, but over a given age range you should know at least one of them. There was one artist I didn't know about until this video, and it certainly wasn't Jess Glynne. [CWS, a Radio One listener]
hmmmm i didn’t know and given the puzzled reactions around me many others do not either!

I’m sick of that video. I do not find it funny or interesting or effective and i was delighted when video didn’t work at the start of my sfo flight and they had to give us a manual demo!
Calum likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 7:39 am

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
I like the videos on QF and AF a lot better, the old NZ ones were my favourites but the new ones not so.

In any instance, I see no case to be made for safety videos. I much prefer manual demos and there is ample research (really a lot of it) which shows that people get a lot more from a live person than from a video in every context (warnings, art, education, justice system etc) and also pay a lot more attention to them. From which I gather that ending that painful rubbish and getting us to look at the lovely BA cabin crew would not only make me happier but also all of us safer. Win win!!!
flygirl68 and 20Rothmans like this.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 8:20 am

Originally Posted by Jordan D
"Jess babes, don't be so hard on yourself".

I laugh every time. I've seen it over 100 times. From the ET cabin in shorthaul.

I think some people here take themselves too seriously, and complain at the drop of a hat. Especially when they don't know a world beyond longhaul J.
I think safety on a aircraft is a very important matter and when the safety demonstration is delivered in the way the current BA one is, instead of delivering the information in a clear understandable format without distractions and maintaining the attention of as many passengers as possible, we've got loads of crap "British humour" and a 2 minute longer video.

This is all very well if your well-educated, middle/upper-class, british, frequent flyer etc but for foreign travelers, individuals who's first language is not English/don't speak English are all, first time flyers etc, this video is sup-par and in some cases, unfit for purpose.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Crew tried and failed to play this twice last night back from SFO - fortunately switched to a slick manual demonstration
orbitmic, florens and 20Rothmans like this.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 1:36 am

Programs: BA Plastic. HH Diamond. Speedwell Bar Lifetime Platinum.
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
She is also the most successful solo UK female singer of all time, as of 30 March 2018 when These Days got to number 1, so I suspect you are heading towards the latter options. I think the idea is that not everyone will know all the celebs, but over a given age range you should know at least one of them. There was one artist I didn't know about until this video, and it certainly wasn't Jess Glynne. [CWS, a Radio One listener]
Only in Number 1 hits, and many are collaborating with others, so hardly solo hits.

And her sales lag behind Ms Bassey somewhat.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 1:42 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by BlueThroughCrimp
... And her sales lag behind Ms Bassey somewhat.
Who was looking spectacular a few weeks ago in the CCR, she appears much younger than her 81 years.
orbitmic and BlueThroughCrimp like this.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 3:15 am

Programs: Mucci des Ancients Matelots
Regardless of who's famous or not famous, successful or not successful, it's just a bad video. It so bad that I find myself wincing and unable to watch certain bits. The director comes across a bit creepy, particularly around the women in the video or the way he interacts with Chiwetel Ejiofor (who incidentally should be forced to record more audio books, his voice is amazing).

Some people like it, that's fine. A significant number of people don't and actively switch off to it. That's not OK and could in fact be a real problem.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 3:43 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by GaxxyFlyer
Regardless of who's famous or not famous, successful or not successful, it's just a bad video. It so bad that I find myself wincing and unable to watch certain bits. The director comes across a bit creepy, particularly around the women in the video or the way he interacts with Chiwetel Ejiofor (who incidentally should be forced to record more audio books, his voice is amazing).

Some people like it, that's fine. A significant number of people don't and actively switch off to it. That's not OK and could in fact be a real problem.
Do they? As I said earlier, it doesn't bother me, it's just part of the routine of flying, but I am still surprised at the number of people I see/hear laughing at the the 'jokes' so they are obviously paying attention. I suspect the number of people who switch off are about the same in number who would switch off watching the old (or any) briefing.

I was on a Ryanair flight a couple of weeks back, when their safety briefing started (a pre-recorded announcement with live demonstration) I was surprised at how few were paying attention, in fact I was having difficulty hearing the announcement because of the number of people talking.

Life is too short to let a safety briefing get me worked up.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 4:12 am

Programs: Nando's Black, British Airways Gold, Hilton Gold, Accor Platinum, SPG Gold, IHG Platinum Ambassador
Jess Glynne was on my flight from BCN to LHR recently. She tried to keep a low profile when boarding, no doubt knowing people would recognize her from the safety video her musical accomplishments. During the video I turned around (from 1A) to see if she was seated in Club Europe. She wasn't, though Ronnie Wood and family were behind me in Row 2. I didn't recline my seat, out of respect.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 11:34 am

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
Do they?
I would say so. I fully accept that many people like you may not mind even if they are not huge fans, but I certainly do (switch off) and I know a few others who do too. I find that video as utterly annoying as a bad tv ad which would keep showing every few days. I completely block it out, and I literally only look at the crew when they point to the exits and demonstrate the evacuation lighting. Though in fairness as I said I'm already easily switching off much of any safety video (but not as badly as that one). By contrast, I actively listen to any manual demo from beginning to end.

I guess it's partly symbolic I don't accept the notion of being obliged to watch any video while I would feel that it is rude to ignore an actual human being!
GaxxyFlyer and Calum like this.

Last edited by orbitmic; Apr 19, 2018 at 12:12 pm
Old Apr 19, 2018, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
I don't suppose there any rumours about the possibility of this <expletive> being replaced by something intelligent, intelligible and useful?
orbitmic and Calum like this.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK

Who was looking spectacular a few weeks ago in the CCR, she appears much younger than her 81 years.
Now I do think that people would listen to her!!
Old Apr 20, 2018, 5:26 pm

Brace! Brace! - Brace! Brace!

Brace! Brace!

If you were midway through a BA flight and you heard this command, would you know immediately what to do?

In an emergency, I know the cabin crew would offer extra advice, but the current video is not very clear. Gillian Anderson shows the position, but it is not described, nor are the individual components explained.

Also, European brace positions differ from US ones.

Looking back on Southwest 1380, I'm not sure how I'd respond being told to brace.

Do do you know without thinking the correct position?
Old Apr 20, 2018, 5:30 pm

Yes, but I do read the Safety information cards
Old Apr 20, 2018, 6:04 pm

Programs: BA- blue, BD,DL
if it were midway through the flight I would ignore it. Just before touchdown, different story.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.