Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Liability for items damaged by Cabin Crew

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2017, 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by Banana4321
As for this case. The limit of liability isn't a limit of goodwill. Also, were the aircraft doors closed? Not sure if different liabilities apply if so. FWIW for an £8k bag it may be worth a spin on the moneyclaim.org.uk wheel.
I think hoping for £8000 goodwill payment is fanciful in the extreme.

I would have thought MCOL was a compete waste of time and money tbh.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 4:38 pm

Programs: DL,EK
Originally Posted by tom139
The bag is circa £8k and one which is relatively frequently carried by other passengers too!
Seriously? I guess I am out of touch since my hand luggage would never be much over £80, let alone £8000. Who the hell spends £8000 on hand luggage?!
Old Jul 11, 2017, 4:43 pm

Programs: BA LTGold; LH Senator; HHGold; Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by flatlander
Without opinion on the act of travelling with such items:

I am led to understand that the usual solution to travel with a Hermes bag is to buy a Longchamps bag to put the Hermes bag in for travel, then fold the Longchamps bag and put it in its transport pouch in the Hermes bag when one wishes to display the Hermes.
Or just make sure you've got an out of home insurance on your contents insurance for such stuff?

Honestly.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
A crew member trying to offer me a drink on the UD after boarding nearly deposited it over my bag (Briggs and Riley) when barged into by a passenger. Crew did a fantastic job of hanging on to the glass in one hand and the tray with the empties in the other. Sadly the excellent Briggs and Riley lifetime warranty doesn't cover cleaning or cosmetic wear so that wouldn't have been much use. I hope the bag in question is cleanable.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 5:40 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by DesertNomad
Seriously? I guess I am out of touch since my hand luggage would never be much over £80, let alone £8000. Who the hell spends £8000 on hand luggage?!
Apparently Hermes produce something like 70,000 Birkins a year, and as they have a pretty good lifespan one can assume there are maybe a million in circulation. One can also assume that quite a large number will be worth at least £8000.

So of several hundred thousand, how many could be found at one point in the First Class cabin on the way to Moscow, Dubai, LA, Beijing or Hong Kong, for example? I'd wager a decent number.

A lot of replies seem to be suggesting that the OP was simply wrong to invest the cost of a single First Class flight on a bag which might have been expected to last 20 years. That seems a bit judgmental to me.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 6:22 pm

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)
I understand that the Montreal Convention covers loss when a bag is lost or its contents are lost and the cause is unknown, but I did not think it circumvented liability for an act that happened like this where the cabin crew member is at fault. What if the cabin member deliberately spilled the drinks on the bag? (I'm not saying they did in this case, just raising a hypothetical)

It is odd to me that in the other thread where the passenger was late for a flight due to a weather induced, single car accident, that many argued that it was the passenger's fault for being late, but here where the accident is the fault of the cabin crew member under such logic, that either the cabin crew memeber or their employer are not responsible for said damage. (Not that I'm suggesting suing the cabin crew member, just that it would be a logical recourse if the accident was say someone's car damaging my car and the person who caused the accident did not have insurance). In this case I would have thought that BA's liability insurance would cover the damage and that the Montreal Convention would not apply. But perhaps both UK law and airline regulations make this scenario much different than what would happen if say this happened in a restaurant in the US?
Old Jul 11, 2017, 6:27 pm

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
A lot of replies seem to be suggesting that the OP was simply wrong to invest the cost of a single First Class flight on a bag which might have been expected to last 20 years. That seems a bit judgmental to me.
Indeed, there is nothing wrong with investing in quality. Whether it's cars, bags, watches or anything else.

Of course that doesn't mean BA should accept the risks though.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by dylanks
I understand that the Montreal Convention covers loss when a bag is lost or its contents are lost and the cause is unknown, but I did not think it circumvented liability for an act that happened like this where the cabin crew member is at fault. What if the cabin member deliberately spilled the drinks on the bag? (I'm not saying they did in this case, just raising a hypothetical)

It is odd to me that in the other thread where the passenger was late for a flight due to a weather induced, single car accident, that many argued that it was the passenger's fault for being late, but here where the accident is the fault of the cabin crew member under such logic, that either the cabin crew memeber or their employer are not responsible for said damage. (Not that I'm suggesting suing the cabin crew member, just that it would be a logical recourse if the accident was say someone's car damaging my car and the person who caused the accident did not have insurance). In this case I would have thought that BA's liability insurance would cover the damage and that the Montreal Convention would not apply. But perhaps both UK law and airline regulations make this scenario much different than what would happen if say this happened in a restaurant in the US?
Surely in such circumstances you would refer the matter to your insurers who will recover from BA's insurers if appropriate.

In the same way that if I was in a no fault traffic accident then I would expect my insurers to recover from the third party. I wouldn't expect the individual to give me a cheque.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 7:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

The Montreal convention covers loss / delay of checked baggage , regardless of reason and unchecked baggage only where damage resulted from its fault or that of its servants or agents

Regardless , its liability is limited to XDR1131

It is odd to me that in the other thread where the passenger was late for a flight due to a weather induced, single car accident, that many argued that it was the passenger's fault for being late, but here where the accident is the fault of the cabin crew member under such logic, that either the cabin crew memeber or their employer are not responsible for said damage.
I haven't seen anyone say that it isn't the airline's fault - all that matters is that the airline is limited in its liability for the incident
Old Jul 11, 2017, 7:48 pm

Take the bag to Hermes, they can do pretty amazing things to restore their products.

Your frustration is understandable but the airline has to have a liability limit somewhere and id expect 1200GBP is about right - that's your average laptop for example. An 8k bag is an outlier.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 10:35 pm

Programs: QF Gold, WY Gold
Originally Posted by crazyanglaisy
Lol, you learn something new every day! People put the bags they use for travel into another bag to protect it from damage during their travels? To my eyes, this is the time to pop into the docs for a healthy dose of common sense and a good kick up the bum!
The Flyertalk forum pretty much exists because of the idiosyncrasies of travellers, especially luxury travellers. We are all different and whilst I also couldn't see myself doing similar things the OP, I can certainly appreciate that is their choice. I'm sure some would probably find my luxury spending on certain items bizarre and nonsense, but it takes a little bit of everything to make the world go around.

Hopefully all works out of the OP. I suppose the situation is akin to parking a luxury car in a supermarket car park and coming back to find some trolley rash caused by a careless trolley attendant, you'd certainly want compensating from the supermarket.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 1:38 am

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
A lot of replies seem to be suggesting that the OP was simply wrong to invest the cost of a single First Class flight on a bag which might have been expected to last 20 years.
If you're spending £8k on a single F ticket, I don't think you spend enough time on FT!
Old Jul 12, 2017, 1:48 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by 1010101

Your frustration is understandable but the airline has to have a liability limit somewhere
Why? If by my own negligence I cause damage to someone else's property, I don't get to arbitrarily set my own limits. So I rear-ended your Bentley - very sad, but I limit my liability to 50p and it's your own stupid fault you bought an expensive car. Not sure that'd go down too well really...
Old Jul 12, 2017, 1:50 am

Originally Posted by LBP2
Why? If by my own negligence I cause damage to someone else's property, I don't get to arbitrarily set my own limits. So I rear-ended your Bentley - very sad, but I limit my liability to 50p and it's your own stupid fault you bought an expensive car. Not sure that'd go down too well really...
The montreal convention which is then codified into law.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 1:51 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Ok fine - that's different to 'have to have a liability limit somewhere' - they benefit by having one through legislation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.