Wiki Posts
Search

Liability for items damaged by Cabin Crew

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2017, 2:49 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by tom139
Unfortunately not...but they do make them for circa £200k....
Lol, have just done a search on google for Hermes and bags, the results were an eye-opener
Old Jul 11, 2017, 2:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: MUCCI, British Airways Executive Club Gold
Originally Posted by msm2000uk
I'd assume a Birkin bag.

M
Correct.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 2:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by KARFA
£8k for a bag????? Is it encrusted with diamonds?
Apparently, it's now encrusted with alcohol!
Old Jul 11, 2017, 2:57 am
Suspended

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
If you choose to take items of such value , then the onus is on you to ensure coverage beyond that which the airline is liable for
I think Tom should apologize to the FA and separately to BA. Also he should apologize here on this forum and acknowledge what happened was his fault and that he is a bad person... any other thrillingly supportive posts from others?
Old Jul 11, 2017, 2:59 am

Programs: BA GGL
£8k for a bag????? Is it encrusted with diamonds?
Lol, have just done a search on google for Hermes and bags, the results were an eye-opener
You can take the boy out of the North, but...

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
If you choose to take items of such value , then the onus is on you to ensure coverage beyond that which the airline is liable for
I'm afraid I'd have to agree with this statement, tom139. Whilst BA may have some liability here, it is limited, so I would expect the bag to be insured, either under your home policy or under your travel insurance.

I had a similar situation recently, where my partner left her bag near a candle in a restaurant and it caused part of the leather to melt. In her mind the restaurant was at fault, but in reality it wasn't and has no liability, so I'm still wincing at the repair cost
Old Jul 11, 2017, 3:01 am

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by BOStonTravels
I think Tom should apologize to the FA and separately to BA. Also he should apologize here on this forum and acknowledge what happened was his fault and that he is a bad person... any other thrillingly supportive posts from others?
This is not exactly 'helpful'. The fact that the post does not support the OP does not make it wrong. This is about giving advice. FT is not a therapy group!

Dave Noble's post is a statement of fact and is, in my opinion, very helpful.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 3:03 am
Suspended

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by Filthy Monkey
You can take the boy out of the North, but...

I'm afraid I'd have to agree with this statement, tom139. Whilst BA may have some liability here, it is limited, so I would expect the bag to be insured, either under your home policy or under your travel insurance.

I had a similar situation recently, where my partner left her bag near a candle in a restaurant and it caused part of the leather to melt. In her mind the restaurant was at fault, but in reality it wasn't and has no liability, so I'm still wincing at the repair cost
Spot on -- Filthy Monkey showed both humor and empathy, joining with Tom over what happened instead of blaming and shaming him.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 3:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

You may believe that he should apologise - that is your belief

As far as what the airline should be expected to pay out, it seems to have agreed to pay out the maximum it is liable for
Old Jul 11, 2017, 3:12 am

Programs: BA Silver, ZSL Silver
I just did the same. Who knew!
Old Jul 11, 2017, 3:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: MUCCI, British Airways Executive Club Gold
Thanks for your comments. I'm not looking for sympathy from anybody but it does not sit right with me that I should have to claim on my own insurance when another party has admitted liability and is at fault. It's just the principle that's all.

Potentially the bag can be cleaned which would only be a few hundred pounds. So this, along with replacing the shoes, should hopefully come under £1.2k.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 3:13 am

Programs: BA Oneworld
Spot on -- Filthy Monkey showed both humor and empathy, joining with Tom over what happened instead of blaming and shaming him.
Did you not spot the comma? He's disagreeing with Tom and agreeing with Dave!
Old Jul 11, 2017, 3:13 am

Programs: Some
Ah, the hilarity of people who pay thousands of pounds for airline tickets criticising people who pay thousands of pounds for bags!
Old Jul 11, 2017, 3:15 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
#Dave Noble did not blame nor shame, he simply provided a rather helpful explanation of the relevant legal provisions and offered advice on responsibility when carrying personal items of significant value.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 3:17 am

Programs: BAEC
Practical Advice:

Claim on your insurance and they will then recover from BA's insurers and will also seek to recover your uninsured losses. Your insurers will have much more clout with BA than you will.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 3:19 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
Ah, the hilarity of people who pay thousands of pounds for airline tickets criticising people who pay thousands of pounds for bags!
I can't see any criticism of the OP for paying for the bag. My own posts note my surprise that such expensive bags exist, but I expressed no criticism toward tom139 for buying it. The OP can spend his money as he wishes

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.