Wiki Posts
Search

Liability for items damaged by Cabin Crew

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2017, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by windowontheAside

Or is it the situation that restoration of such a bag is not returning it to original condition?
All Birkin leathers are fragile. The Hermes bag spa team can try their best but it's probably not going back to the original condition.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 10:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Seems like adequate compensation to me. You have to accept some responsibility yourself when travelling with such a high value item. If you're not then buy a leather bag from Argentina. Quality stuff for a fraction of the cost of a designer brand. ^
Old Jul 11, 2017, 10:55 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Without opinion on the act of travelling with such items:

I am led to understand that the usual solution to travel with a Hermes bag is to buy a Longchamps bag to put the Hermes bag in for travel, then fold the Longchamps bag and put it in its transport pouch in the Hermes bag when one wishes to display the Hermes.

Last edited by flatlander; Jul 11, 2017 at 11:06 am Reason: correct detail
Old Jul 11, 2017, 11:41 am

Originally Posted by flatlander
Without opinion on the act of travelling with such items:

I am led to understand that the usual solution to travel with a Hermes bag is to buy a Longchamps bag to put the Hermes bag in for travel, then fold the Longchamps bag and put it in its transport pouch in the Hermes bag when one wishes to display the Hermes.
Are you serious? Because now that I think about it, I know quite a few people... check that, a large number of certain nationalities who would do something like this.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Seems like adequate compensation to me. You have to accept some responsibility yourself when travelling with such a high value item. If you're not then buy a leather bag from Argentina. Quality stuff for a fraction of the cost of a designer brand. ^
You and Mrs Hiddy got a side line then?

Am sure a few people on here would happily carry a 'Hiddy' and pay a premium!
Old Jul 11, 2017, 11:55 am

So I guess you have learned a valuable lesson not to travel with such expensive luggage. I have a nice backpack that fits my laptop that I got on Ebags for $75 that does the trick. I don't need a very expensive bag unless my insurance would guarantee full replacement or repair if there is a problem.

I travel with a Swiss Army Victorinox Suitcase and the zipper broke so I took it to a good suitcase repair shop and got it fixed for $100 and it was worth fixing it as everything else was in good order. The zipper broke due to normal wear and tear. It has been through thick and thin and has traveled with me for thousands of miles both in the car and on the plane.

I am sorry the flight crew spilled liquid on your expensive bags. I put my backpack in the overhead bin or under the seat in front of me so as to avoid any spills. Le's hope BA will be able to pay you something for the repair.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by danielonn
So I guess you have learned a valuable lesson not to travel with such expensive luggage. I have a nice backpack that fits my laptop that I got on Ebags for $75 that does the trick. I don't need a very expensive bag unless my insurance would guarantee full replacement or repair if there is a problem.

I travel with a Swiss Army Victorinox Suitcase and the zipper broke so I took it to a good suitcase repair shop and got it fixed for $100 and it was worth fixing it as everything else was in good order. The zipper broke due to normal wear and tear. It has been through thick and thin and has traveled with me for thousands of miles both in the car and on the plane.

I am sorry the flight crew spilled liquid on your expensive bags. I put my backpack in the overhead bin or under the seat in front of me so as to avoid any spills. Le's hope BA will be able to pay you something for the repair.
Not for the first time you have completely missed the point of the thread. Its up to the OP what he travels with.

Very frustrating for the OP I can imagine, however I can understand why there needs to be a limit of liability.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The general thrust of this thread points to why I wear a t-shirt and trainers when I fly, regardless of cabin.
People in F complain about that too.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 12:36 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Originally Posted by codex57
Are you serious? Because now that I think about it, I know quite a few people... check that, a large number of certain nationalities who would do something like this.
An example: http://www.featherfactor.com/2012/10...xury-bags.html

As to "Who would ever travel with such an expensive item?", while I don't own any expensive handbags, I do own some expensive camera gear, and I take it places where it might get damaged or stolen because I want to take photographs. There's no point in owning a utilitarian item one is unwilling to use - the utility is lost to oneself. How expensive an item can be while still considering it utilitarian and being willing to use it is a personal matter.

(Of course, one may buy a watch, handbag, or other tool for display or storage rather than use, but if one has bought it for use, one should be willing to use it, or one has wasted money).
Old Jul 11, 2017, 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by Filthy Monkey
I had a similar situation recently, where my partner left her bag near a candle in a restaurant and it caused part of the leather to melt. In her mind the restaurant was at fault, but in reality it wasn't and has no liability, so I'm still wincing at the repair cost
Oh dear; you have been had here. Leather doesn't melt so it was plastic. Hope you paid £2.50 for it rather than £1800. And the repairer ripped you off too by charging a silk purse for a sow's ear.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by albpenny
The items on eBay that I mentioned - the retail price for the same pair of shoes I bought 9 years ago has gone up by 64% between then and now (from £300 to £470), while on eBay they're on sale for £350. It'll be the same as the Birkin etc. If I sold my shoes now, i'd have had 9 years of wear and then make £50 profit, which is a 17% return. The greater the value of fashion products (and their scarcity), the greater the return.
I still can't get my head around anyone believing that someone would buy shoes with 9 years' wear behind them for £350 when a brand new pair is available at £470.

Unless we are into Hollywood memorabilia...
Old Jul 11, 2017, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
I still can't get my head around anyone believing that someone would buy shoes with 9 years' wear behind them for £350 when a brand new pair is available at £470.

Unless we are into Hollywood memorabilia...

I'm assuming that there's likely not to be too much wear if they are that posh and the justification is that £470 is too expensive so they saved £120 by buying them for £350!

Last edited by UKtravelbear; Jul 11, 2017 at 4:01 pm
Old Jul 11, 2017, 4:00 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Handbags etc. aside this has led me to go and check that our corporate travel insurance will cover our laptops as they are definitely worth more than £1200 and are often out and being used during drinks service...
Old Jul 11, 2017, 4:15 pm

Programs: Don't even mention it. Grrrrrrr.
Originally Posted by stevie
Amazing thread. £8000 for a bag that you need to put into another bag to protect it from bangs, scratches, liquids. Kind of defeats the purpose methinks. Anyway each to their own.

Good luck to the OP with regards claiming back the costs.
I bought a bag once. The shop offered me a bag to carry it home. I didn't know what to say.

As for this case. The limit of liability isn't a limit of goodwill. Also, were the aircraft doors closed? Not sure if different liabilities apply if so. FWIW for an £8k bag it may be worth a spin on the moneyclaim.org.uk wheel.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 4:31 pm

Programs: BA LTGold; LH Senator; HHGold; Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by tom139
Thanks for your comments. I'm not looking for sympathy from anybody but it does not sit right with me that I should have to claim on my own insurance when another party has admitted liability and is at fault. It's just the principle that's all.

Potentially the bag can be cleaned which would only be a few hundred pounds. So this, along with replacing the shoes, should hopefully come under £1.2k.
What if I, returning from the galley, accidently tripped and spilt same?

I'd certainly be mortified and apologise.

It doesn't mean I can or would pay anything.

If you have expensive stuff, insure it for accidental damage. There's no principle in claiming on your insurance because that's what it's there for. What's wrong is expecting other people to foot the bill for your expensive choices. The fact this is a corporation is neither here nor there, and just smacks of "they can afford it".

In general, rather that you try and work our responsibility, you should claim on your insurance and it's then up to them to go after the party who caused the damage.

Last edited by ukgooner; Jul 11, 2017 at 4:41 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.