Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

27 May BA IT outage miscellaneous discussions thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

27 May BA IT outage miscellaneous discussions thread

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2017, 6:55 am

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
Five questions for BA over IT crash

Link from bbc.com

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-40075721

1. How can this have happened?

(I would also focus on the apparent failure of system and operational contingencies as part of this question).

2. Was outsourcing IT to India an issue?

3. What is BA doing now for passengers?

4. Has communication been good enough?

5. Could it happen again? What has BA learned?
Old May 28, 2017, 6:57 am

Programs: BA gold
It doesn't seem like Cruz is in control - from the awful "fix it mode" message on Yammer, the video on Twitter, or the actions/steps BA has taken to mitigate the issues on passengers.

Has he cut costs so far that BA can't smoothly recover, or so lean that they are unable to learn from other recent IRROPs events such as the fog last November?
Old May 28, 2017, 7:02 am

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
Stez, not impressed with BA's "Cruz control"?
Old May 28, 2017, 7:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Safe to say the relevant authorities will be notified if skulduggery is found to be the cause.
i have no doubt that the BA security department were in touch with certain agencies of the government quite early on and have continued to be.
Old May 28, 2017, 7:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Stez, perhaps the 'relative' simplicity of running Vueling was his limit? The complexity and scale of BA does seem to be a bit beyond his grasp.
Old May 28, 2017, 7:06 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, MUCCI, Junior Jet Club.
Originally Posted by RoyalSwazi
What has surprised me the most is that a B2C mega brand household name has done such a shabby job in the PR department. I used to work in a different part of the transportation business, however this was cargo. None of these were household names, however my first employer had a very public incident off Australia and my third another near another which also became a headline story in the U.K. Media. At all three companies I worked we had an emergency response team which included a named list of participants. Drills were held several times a year, and part of the drill was to send out regular press releases and make a spokesperson available to external parties (media, customers, families etc). For major incidents like this there would be press conferences. All employees were discouraged from speculating when contacted by third parties and refer everybody to the press contact, however the official communiques would contain a brief explanation of the incident and that we would come back with more information as it became available. I'd be surprised if BA have not held similar drills, but even if they haven't this is a massive fail on management's part.
Why would you think that the media relations function has been immune from the axe that has been taken to the rest of the BA operation over the last few years?

All of the above costs money and when you consider the old adage "if you think safety is expensive, try having an accident," God knows what is in store in the future.
Old May 28, 2017, 7:11 am

Old May 28, 2017, 7:15 am

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
There's a new video on Facebook. He's ditched the hi-viz this time 😂
Old May 28, 2017, 7:20 am

Programs: IHG Spire Elite Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Aegan Gold, British Airways Bronze
Originally Posted by Ber2dca
Based on what I've seen this BA management team is entirely numbers-driven. These are guys who want to see "BA announces new record earnings this quarter" on the Sky News ticker in the morning more than anything. That's what gives them a kick, that's high fives territory.

The entire BA response appears to be shaped by "how do we save the fiscal metrics here?" rather than "how do we get the company to look fairly good here?".

Aside from the lack of a PR response yesterday, we've already seen refusal of reimbursement for alternative transport as well as signs pointing to blanket EU261 refusals.

I'm not saying they don't care at all about public perception, but it clearly takes a backseat to other considerations.
The problem with that is that this kind of public relation disaster tend to have an effect on the stock price that won't be corrected even by announcing record profit...
Old May 28, 2017, 7:20 am

Programs: AS; BA Silver; UA; HH Gold; Sprüngli Connaisseur
Is negligence an extraordinary circumstance?

Just because you move systems to 'The Cloud', or as we old timers would call it: 'Mainframe Timesharing', it doesn't mean that you've moved your responsibility to understand how it works.
Old May 28, 2017, 7:23 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Not to worry. They'll have a flash "Boomerang" sale to Australia on Thursday for £527 in CW and we'll all completely forget about this
Old May 28, 2017, 7:38 am

Programs: Mucci Grandee (Upgraded), BA Silver, AZ MilleMiglia
Originally Posted by MPH1980
While I think Alex's post on Yammer could use some refinement in places - the core message is right.

"We're working on fixing it, we'll figure out what happened and what we can improve on later, either help or leave us to it"

I've spent many hours/days/weeks (collectively - not at once!) in crisis mode in IT. When a system is down and you are recovering - you fix first, wash up later. And you wash up when everyone's had a chance to rest so that everyone is fresh and can discuss it properly.

If you can find the root cause - you fix it. If you can't - you add logging/checks around the suspicious areas and come up with a faster recovery plan for next time.

You also need to keep in mind that the list of people Alex will have been talking to will have been extensive - not just talking with the IT teams - but also legal, customer service, big investors, IAG board members, contact centre management etc etc etc. It's clear there's frustration at the queries being raised on Yammer and I get his point - the time for the hard questions will come - but fix the problem first.

The people who are asking these questions probably believe they are helping to get to the bottom of the problem. Right now - that's not the task.

As I said - could it use some refinement? Perhaps tone a little of the frustration down? Sure! Underlying message? Spot on.
I don't agree at all. Of course everyone who can was working on fixing it. But that still leaves plenty of others who aren't. The communications team, for example, are hardly going to be able to contribute to finding and fixing the IT issues, but surely they should have been communicating more.

I know that in aviation the rule is Aviate - Navigate - Communicate, but this isn't only an aviation problem.
Old May 28, 2017, 7:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by greg5

Just because you move systems to 'The Cloud', or as we old timers would call it: 'Mainframe Timesharing', it doesn't mean that you've moved your responsibility to understand how it works.
Actually in moving to the cloud you need to do an awful lot more to ensure resilience and data security and integrity but this isn't a cloud problem it seems to start with a flaw in the basic architecture.

Keeping your fingers crossed is not a viable contingency plan for an operation as complex and IT dependant as a modern airline. This appears ultimately to be a shocking failure of management.
Old May 28, 2017, 7:41 am

Originally Posted by greg5

Negligence (one's own) is basically the opposite of an extraordinary circumstance.
Old May 28, 2017, 7:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
For those who haven't found the updated Cruz-Speech [I needed help!] >>>

If he’d said “I’m ashamed and embarrassed that this has happened” I would have been impressed. Instead he just makes platitudinous noises.

Last edited by T8191; May 28, 2017 at 7:58 am Reason: Add 2nd link ... only one works for me!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.