Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

27 May BA IT outage miscellaneous discussions thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

27 May BA IT outage miscellaneous discussions thread

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2017, 11:39 am
Suspended

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH DIAMOND, AVIS Presidents Club, Karahi Express
Just walked around T5, Edit ... Not flying today. managed to get in to checkin area. People sitting, lying, standing, walking around and all looking dazed and exhausted. Kerbside (raining now) a group of 21 elderly tourists sitting on floor as their DUS flight cancelled and no rebooking. Arrivals level is also overflowing. A group of Hockey Players from Pakistan on their way to Dublin stranded.

1) No sign of media or media vans.
2) Why is BA staff not walking around with their iPads trying to assist passengers stuck inside and outside building with trying to rebook them? Instead signs advising them to call 0800 number.
3) Well done to HEX offering free rides into central London
4) Entrances to checkin area manned by HAL and Police. HAL only allowing passengers in who are flying in next 90 minutes.
5) I feel so sorry for all that are stuck
6) Alex Cruz .... Congratulations for a great operation.

Last edited by deboyzoned; May 28, 2017 at 11:52 am
Old May 28, 2017, 11:41 am

Programs: BAEC
MPH1980

In response to point 4. In my opinion, if BA staff were valued, respected, motivated and not embarrassed by the recent cuts in service they have to face on the front line (this has been mentioned several times on FT) I believe staff would not be engaging in random internal chit chat that doesn't help the company move forward in a huge crisis.

If staff believed in the brand and felt valued then point 4 probably wouldn't be mentioned or highlighted but I guess and purely my own outside speculation that sadly Cruz is not respected as a CEO therefore staff will engage in non productive and unhelpful chit chat whilst a crisis ensues.

As I have said this is my own opinion and I don't profess to know the internal truths, culture or ethos but judging on the Cruz internal comm leak it speaks of firefighting not only a crisis but his staff too.

Sad from my view, because in a crisis everyone pulls together in solidarity and team work. We saw this union and solidarity loud and clear follow the atrocity in Manchester. My heart is still heavy from that day. The aren't comparable. That's not my point. So please don't take it as a comparison. It's more a point of pulling together in a crisis rather than pulling apart.
Old May 28, 2017, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

The BA situation was the main story on the BBC evening news. The reporter was broadcasting live from Heathrow but not from T5 but from close to the Tunnel to the central terminal area ( you could see the Emirates A380 behind the reporter)

Regards

TBS
Old May 28, 2017, 11:51 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Hi,

The BA situation was the main story on the BBC evening news. The reporter was broadcasting live from Heathrow but not from T5 but from close to the Tunnel to the central terminal area ( you could see the Emirates A380 behind the reporter)

Regards

TBS
Thats the same place BBC has been for past 2 days.

Why are they not at Terminal 5 and report what they see. Shocking behaviour from BBC
Old May 28, 2017, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by deboyzoned

Why are they not at Terminal 5 and report what they see. Shocking behaviour from BBC
Hi,

The news report did have footage of inside terminal 5 and interviewing several people together with showing people sleeping on the floor and bottles of water being moved in the terminal on a trolley together with the queues of people.

I've got no idea why the BBC could not set up outside T5 but there does not seem to be a lot of room outside t5 and then you have the access roads so perhaps the media are not allowed to set up and report from directly outside T5?

Regards

TBS
Old May 28, 2017, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador

The have had shots from inside the terminal.

BBC south east news also been to LGW.

Have you thought that having loads of media in the terminal means less room for passengers??

BBC have been reporting this since yesterday with lots of passenger interviews etc and it has been the main headline both in broadcast bulletins and on-line.
Old May 28, 2017, 11:56 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by xenole
Not to worry. They'll have a flash "Boomerang" sale to Australia on Thursday for £527 in CW and we'll all completely forget about this
God that made me laugh 😂
Old May 28, 2017, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!

I suspect a live broadcast crew, with lights and camera, might not enhance proceedings in T5 right now. A still photographer is one thing, but that collection would be unwelcome!
Old May 28, 2017, 12:02 pm

Programs: BA GGL; Lifetime Gold

It's not beyond the realms of possibility that HAL, under pressure from BA, has banned the media from HAL property in a vain attempt to stop the scenes inside the terminals being broadcast.
Old May 28, 2017, 12:07 pm

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by Fontana
Anyone see the interview on BBC NEWS with the father and his daughter? He totally ripped into Senior Cruz and BA. That was good to watch!
Yes, it was great with the BBC anchor pointedly saying BA are "refusing" to do a live interview.

I have to say if the result of this is Cruz losing his job then that would be a positive. That internal email saying STFU is all well and good but "ooh look I did a YouTube video and tweeted" is weak, sorry!
Old May 28, 2017, 12:12 pm

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
Quite. You reap what you sew. Staff are probably sick to death of covering for incompetent management. I'm sorry, somebody from BA senior management should at least be on the BBC and be interviewed live. I can guarantee if this had happened to VS, SRB would have been at T3.

Originally Posted by rockflyertalk
MPH1980

In response to point 4. In my opinion, if BA staff were valued, respected, motivated and not embarrassed by the recent cuts in service they have to face on the front line (this has been mentioned several times on FT) I believe staff would not be engaging in random internal chit chat that doesn't help the company move forward in a huge crisis.

If staff believed in the brand and felt valued then point 4 probably wouldn't be mentioned or highlighted but I guess and purely my own outside speculation that sadly Cruz is not respected as a CEO therefore staff will engage in non productive and unhelpful chit chat whilst a crisis ensues.

As I have said this is my own opinion and I don't profess to know the internal truths, culture or ethos but judging on the Cruz internal comm leak it speaks of firefighting not only a crisis but his staff too.

Sad from my view, because in a crisis everyone pulls together in solidarity and team work. We saw this union and solidarity loud and clear follow the atrocity in Manchester. My heart is still heavy from that day. The aren't comparable. That's not my point. So please don't take it as a comparison. It's more a point of pulling together in a crisis rather than pulling apart.
Old May 28, 2017, 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by gorps1
It's not beyond the realms of possibility that HAL, under pressure from BA, has banned the media from HAL property in a vain attempt to stop the scenes inside the terminals being broadcast.
It may have more to do with security.Having vans parked outside might be viewed as a gift by some.
Old May 28, 2017, 12:16 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by gorps1
Come to think of it, I don't remember the last time I saw the media at a terminal at LHR. Anytime I see any major news about airlines based at LHR or incidents going on at Heathrow, all the TV media seem to be outside, away from the airport. I wonder if HAL has banned them? or if they do ask for permission, HAL simply declines them?
Old May 28, 2017, 12:28 pm
Suspended

Come to think of it, I don't remember the last time I saw the media at a terminal at LHR. Anytime I see any major news about airlines based at LHR or incidents going on at Heathrow, all the TV media seem to be outside, away from the airport. I wonder if HAL has banned them? or if they do ask for permission, HAL simply declines them?
Or it could be Ofcom not authorising TES's to operate from the terminal area.
Old May 28, 2017, 12:29 pm

Programs: Various memberships
Any (official) filming on Heathrow property needs to be approved by the LHR Media team and usually a long way in advance. That is just for land-side. Air-side is a whole other World of pain and hoops to jump through (which makes sense to be fair).

The footage you have seen from inside T5 is from the passengers using mobile phones.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.