Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

27 May BA IT outage miscellaneous discussions thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

27 May BA IT outage miscellaneous discussions thread

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2017, 2:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH DIAMOND, AVIS Presidents Club, Karahi Express
Originally Posted by TheEngineer
You said "BBC has not been at T5".

You are aware of the areas that are Heathrow i.e. private property and the areas that are not?

There are well established media protocols for covering Heathrow which include locations crews are allowed to set-up (approved by the police) and for other reasons such as which way the satellite uplink signals (assuming they are not using fibre or bonded cellular) get pointed. Again strict rules about these kind of signals around airports.

Just before you ask, no I don't work for the BBC but have worked for their competitors in the past.
Am quite aware of restrictions about signals around at airports.

My point is that even now on BBC 9 o'clock news, same footage as from hours ago is being repeated! How is this giving anyone any update on status at T5.

Have you been to T5 today and seen the chaos for yourself? I did and was also inside by checkin.

BA has failed its passengers. BBC has failed to provide updates.
Old May 28, 2017, 2:15 pm

Programs: Various memberships
Originally Posted by deboyzoned
Am quite aware of restrictions about signals around at airports.

My point is that even now on BBC 9 o'clock news, same footage as from hours ago is being repeated! How is this giving anyone any update on status at T5.

Have you been to T5 today and seen the chaos for yourself? I did and was also inside by checkin.

BA has failed its passengers. BBC has failed to provide updates.
So if they are not allowed to film inside without permission how pray do they get new footage?
Old May 28, 2017, 2:17 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by TheEngineer
So if they are not allowed to film inside without permission how pray do they get new footage?
Send someone in with a mobile phone?

And BBC should admit that the footage is not theirs and was recorded at an earlier time.

The footage repeated at 9pm shows a very earlier crowded T5 checkin area. That was not the case when I dropped by at 6pm.
Old May 28, 2017, 2:24 pm

Programs: Various memberships
Originally Posted by deboyzoned
Send someone in with a mobile phone?
Given that they were only allowing in passengers with confirmed reservations that could be tricky.

There is the separate issue of the legal guidelines the BBC has to operate under which are stricter than other broadcasters. Covert filming must only be used in the most exceptional circumstances. deboyzoned wanting to see new pictures of stranded passengers is not exceptional circumstances.

Even if you could claim exceptional circumstances, which you would not be able to in this case there is the question of the relationship with Heathrow and the BBC (and the other media organisations). I know of one global media organisation that was nearly banned from Heathrow (and BA as it happens) after an "unfortunate incident" quite a few years ago.
Old May 28, 2017, 2:32 pm
Suspended

Again, I did not say send a BBC reporter in with a mobile phone. The fact they have been showing mobile phone footage inside T5 anyway, where is the legal basis in your statement?

I was able to walk into T5 Checkin Area today, without any question. No ticket ...
I entered through normal route used routinely by passengers arriving by public transport. 😊👍
Old May 28, 2017, 2:33 pm

Programs: AS; BA Silver; UA; HH Gold; Sprüngli Connaisseur
Originally Posted by Worcester
Guardian is mentioning amounts of £100 million, so will impact on the bottom line.

They also quoting a source that states that BA is liable for EU261. I hope everyone who has been delayed puts in a application.
I'm thinking at this point that BA will be lucky if damages are limited to EU261. Negligence might open the doors to further damage claims.
Old May 28, 2017, 3:03 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Someone who appears to have knowledge of the BA systems posted this in the Daily Fail comments a couple of hours ago. A lot of industry 'experts' have come out to say power supply is an unlikely cause, so it will be interesting to see how this narrative evolves during the week.

---
Comrade Stalin, Siberia, 2 hours ago
Was working in Waterside (BA HQ) and we told BA management about the flaws in the TCS iFLY system. They wouldn't listen and this is what you get. As for the power outage that is absolute rubbish. Two data centres, BoHo and Cranebank, both have dual power feeds from two suppliers and then there are the diesel generators that automatically kick in too. The last major outage with iFLY couldn't be fixed by TCS after 7hrs. The small group of guys left in BoHo were told to sort it out and it only took them 30mins. TCS have no skills in this area at all, they're nice guys but there it ends. Experienced senior management like Sarah Endersby, Steve Harding etc etc all got rid of. IAG directors to blame inc BA CEO Alex Cruz.
---
Old May 28, 2017, 3:10 pm

Thank you! Great idea about skype. I called and it is busy. However, the second time I selected option 2 instead of 1. That gave me a call center in India and the transferred me back and I am on hold. That's farther than I have ever gotten.

QUOTE=NickP 1K;28370565]Can you go to here: https://www.britishairways.com/trave...rce=mmb_tab_mb

Have you been rebooked on that link? If not - TRY to see if you can rebook online on that manage my booking link - if not HIGHLY suggest get on Skype and call the US British Airways number - UK number isn't going to get you anywhere unless Gold status on BA. That number is : +1-800-247-9297 Don't assume your UK hotel will let you call a US toll free number for free - therefore use Skype!

*NOW* if you had your LHR-CPT booked by another airline like AA (even though it's on BA) call them as they hold the ticket and can rebook[/QUOTE]
Old May 28, 2017, 3:11 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Lol someone was wondering if Ryanair would take advantage of this?

Well, if no one has seen this, Ryanair did so on social media!

The first link i find funny as it was one of the funniest movies ever, Airplane. The second, not so much!
Old May 28, 2017, 3:31 pm

Programs: BA Gold / Hilton Diamond / IHG Diamond Ambassador / Marriot Bonvoy Gold
This story may become chip paper for many but for those directly impacted it will not and rightly so, but they must vote with their feet.

The airline has again suffered major reputations damage and this on top of ever increasing fees and falling service. It needs to change and that needs to start with the immediate dismissal of Cruz. When T5 opened the two directors responsible fell on their swords. The other casualty must be WW.

but they are not alone. Heathrow airport must take some responsibility. They charge huge fees and they too clearly have no plan for mass disruption. It has always been like this and is doesn't matter if it's an inch of snow heavy rain, high winds, ATC or IT glitches, the scenes of mayhem and chaos are always the same. 3 hours to get people out of the terminal is simply unacceptable. And remember this is an airport and where if there were (God forbid) to be an accident Heathrow could close for some time. So where is the evidence of a plane for this. Yesterday suggests there isn't
BA have to much dominance and too many cosy commercial agreements. it should face immediate substantial financial penalties above all of the compensation that must be paid. EU 261 should move to an automatic payments to original form of payment backed by and independent arbiter to decide when it's is paid.
heathrow airport should face the possibility of immediate nationalisation as such an important national asset cannot be allowed to be run like this.

at the end of the day BA + Heathrow = National Embarrassment.
Old May 28, 2017, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Here is one for you guys, two more small "storms" that have contributed to this "Perfect Storm"

As related to me by someone at BA!

1) We have all been in situations where computers are down, or at a far off airport where not everything is computerized. When these things happen on a localized basis, they pull out the charts, pads and STICKERS. Guess what? As part of a cost cutting measure BA has not ordered any of these materials for the last several years (most outstations DO in fact keep large stocks) so there were almost none on hand to deal with anything close to this (I was told that they had enough stock to maybe cover 20 flights).

This leads to "storm" number 2:

2) As many of us know, BA has been trying to reduce its longer serving workers at LHR and LGW, by buying them out or forcing them into the "new" contracts. Over the last few years many have left. Guess what? Few if any of the younger managers know how to do anything manually. Other than perhaps reading about it, hardly any have been trained! Again, BA at LHR at least (I would assume that LGW is worse) have very few employees that are able to deal with such situations (forget front line staff, it means a bunch of young recently appointed managers, literally whaling at the computer and having no clue what to do in the real world).

The idea of course was to have flying squads, hit teams, whatever, that could deal with a limited amount of disruptions, because it was cheaper to keep most staff untrained for many tasks, and they could never imagine problems of this magnitude.
Old May 28, 2017, 3:51 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
British Airways passenger has 'worst honeymoon ever' amid IT chaos

http://news.sky.com/story/british-ai...chaos-10896137
Old May 28, 2017, 3:54 pm

Thank you! You are brilliant! I used skype to call the us number as the U.K. Number is shut down. Busy if you select option 1 on US but rang through to c sales call center in India on option 2. They transferred me and I was out on hold in rebooking. 20 mins later I spoke to a human. Ring who put me on a flight to CPT through JNB tomorrow night. I had to push as the first CPT flight was thursday! Thanks for the tips! No idea where my bags are but at least I rebooked.

QUOTE=NickP 1K;28370565]Can you go to here: https://www.britishairways.com/trave...rce=mmb_tab_mb

Have you been rebooked on that link? If not - TRY to see if you can rebook online on that manage my booking link - if not HIGHLY suggest get on Skype and call the US British Airways number - UK number isn't going to get you anywhere unless Gold status on BA. That number is : +1-800-247-9297 Don't assume your UK hotel will let you call a US toll free number for free - therefore use Skype!

*NOW* if you had your LHR-CPT booked by another airline like AA (even though it's on BA) call them as they hold the ticket and can rebook[/QUOTE]
Old May 28, 2017, 3:57 pm

Unhappy

Originally Posted by rockflyertalk
MPH1980

In response to point 4. In my opinion, if BA staff were valued, respected, motivated and not embarrassed by the recent cuts in service they have to face on the front line (this has been mentioned several times on FT) I believe staff would not be engaging in random internal chit chat that doesn't help the company move forward in a huge crisis.

If staff believed in the brand and felt valued then point 4 probably wouldn't be mentioned or highlighted but I guess and purely my own outside speculation that sadly Cruz is not respected as a CEO therefore staff will engage in non productive and unhelpful chit chat whilst a crisis ensues.

As I have said this is my own opinion and I don't profess to know the internal truths, culture or ethos but judging on the Cruz internal comm leak it speaks of firefighting not only a crisis but his staff too.

Sad from my view, because in a crisis everyone pulls together in solidarity and team work. We saw this union and solidarity loud and clear follow the atrocity in Manchester. My heart is still heavy from that day. The aren't comparable. That's not my point. So please don't take it as a comparison. It's more a point of pulling together in a crisis rather than pulling apart.
You have hit the nail on the head rockflyertalk staff DO NOT feel valued at all. Over countless years of service I have dropped everything worked extended hours, gone to work on days off even cancelled leave days in order to help out in all kinds of disruption from 9/11, ash clouds, weather, strikes, and now the continued systems problems. This weekend instead I have enjoyed a weekend with my family and not felt even slightly inclined to rush into work to help out.
Now please do not get me wrong I do feel immensely sorry for all the customers impacted by this as well as colleagues rostered to work over the last few days however BA has shown no regard whatsoever to its staff so why should staff feel any loyalty for BA?
I am sadly watching a company I have gave 20+ years service to going down the drain.
Old May 28, 2017, 4:04 pm

On the Twitter, I like how they managed to give a BA hat to computer-says-no lady

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.