Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

27 May BA IT outage miscellaneous discussions thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

27 May BA IT outage miscellaneous discussions thread

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2017, 6:12 am

Originally Posted by Forever in Seattle
I have just been chatting to someone on the Engineering base, who wasn't working over the weekend, but was talking to others that were working.

They say the story of the DC power outage was BS...
So if they think that's BS, do they have any clue what the actual cause was?

Cruz has just said on BBC that it was a "power surge", which stopped all systems talking to each other.
Old May 29, 2017, 6:13 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by dodgeflyer
Perhaps they sold the diesel to release working capital?
After so many FTers said they'd never fly BA again, the airline probably thought they wouldn't have any passengers to fly...
Old May 29, 2017, 6:16 am

Programs: MyWaitrose, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond & BAEC Gold
Alex isn't resigning.
Old May 29, 2017, 6:22 am

Programs: BA Plastic. HH Diamond. Speedwell Bar Lifetime Platinum.
In 20 years, he had only seen them run 3 times.
Our standby gennys run an onload test monthly.
If they have only been run 3 times in 20 years, that's complete negligence dating back a long time, and not just Cutter Cruz' fault.
Old May 29, 2017, 6:25 am

Programs: Don't even mention it. Grrrrrrr.
In 20 years, he had only seen them run 3 times.
Does he work there 24 hours a day, 365 days a year and takes no holidays?
Old May 29, 2017, 6:31 am

Originally Posted by chistery
Did anyone on here seriously think he would resign over this ? Just like politicians seldom resign when they've presided over some debacle or other.

IAG will probably move him on at a time of their choosing. Future CEO of Level, perhaps ?
Old May 29, 2017, 6:35 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Originally Posted by Snafu_again
Did anyone on here seriously think he would resign over this ? Just like politicians seldom resign when they've presided over some debacle or other.

IAG will probably move him on at a time of their choosing. Future CEO of Level, perhaps ?
I role which I am sure he would excel.
Old May 29, 2017, 6:36 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by BlueThroughCrimp
Our standby gennys run an onload test monthly.
If they have only been run 3 times in 20 years, that's complete negligence dating back a long time, and not just Cutter Cruz' fault.
Ok, I could have been a little more clear, he has seen them being tested from time to time, but only 3 times has he seen them start outside that.

Banana4321 don't be stupid.
Old May 29, 2017, 6:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by chistery

He's not resigning until the second before he does resign.

Im sure Alex and Willie will be having one of those 'career development' chats in the next couple of weeks.

Not sure how he would deal with this on his annual appraisal and objective setting though!

Has Willie said 'I have full confidence in Alex' yet? When he says that that's when you know Alex is on the way out.
Old May 29, 2017, 6:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
It is a legal concept for extraordinary/uncontrollable events - not to be understood literaly. Normally used for natural disasters like earthquake, floodings, etc.
Old May 29, 2017, 6:43 am

I'd like to think that when Parliament is up and running again, Alex Cruz and his senior management team will be "invited" to appear before the Transport Committee to explain what happened and how they will prevent a repeat.

Such a shame that MP Gwyneth Dunwoody is no longer with us. Alex would be toast !
Old May 29, 2017, 6:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by Snafu_again
I'd like to think that when Parliament is up and running again, Alex Cruz and his senior management team will be "invited" to appear before the Transport Committee to explain what happened and how they will prevent a repeat.

Such a shame that MP Gwyneth Dunwoody is no longer with us. Alex would be toast !
Well there was select committee investigation after the T5 opening debacle but it would depend on who becomes the chair of the committee and the members when it is eventually set up if there is an inquiry or not - but that's likely to be a couple of months away.

The opening of Heathrow Terminal 5
Old May 29, 2017, 7:16 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Ldnn1
So if they think that's BS, do they have any clue what the actual cause was?

Cruz has just said on BBC that it was a "power surge", which stopped all systems talking to each other.
I don't buy into the power surge theory but I can understand the spin. What I think would be a more truthful statement would be something like this - "ba's data centre encountered a power issue which on nearly every occasion is a non event. On this occasion due to a mishandling of the recovery process, a prolonged and serious outage occurred".

Root cause? A power outage? Cost cutting? Outsourcing?
Old May 29, 2017, 7:22 am
Formerly known as newbie elite

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Platinum, AC50K
Have worked in IT for 25+ years, some spent in huge corps. No way a power surge does this. May have initiated the event but the rest is cost-cutting, short-staffing and cost-centre IT mentality. No way it should degenerate into this. C-level heads should roll for this but they won't, as usual.

DPRK official news agency had the best take on twitter this morning:

@DPRK_News: Staggering incompetence of English air midgets strands thousands of terrified passengers in desolate hellholes such as Glasgow and Luton
Old May 29, 2017, 7:26 am

Programs: Don't even mention it. Grrrrrrr.
Ok, I could have been a little more clear, he has seen them being tested from time to time, but only 3 times has he seen them start outside that.

Banana4321 don't be stupid.
Now I am completely confused. He has seen them tested from "time to time" AND an additional 3 times outside of "time to time"?

I apologise for being stupid. I can't help it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.