Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

27 May BA IT outage miscellaneous discussions thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

27 May BA IT outage miscellaneous discussions thread

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2017, 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Media are not being allowed into T5, though that's not stopping the Youtube Citizen Journalists. Standard practice in this situation. This has happened before (e.g. when FLY went down, one the Snowmaggedon days). In the end HAL + BA allowed cameras into the building since the Youtube efforts were giving a particular slant and not subject to any attempt to give a balanced perspective.
Comedy.
Old May 28, 2017, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
Lol someone was wondering if Ryanair would take advantage of this?

Well, if no one has seen this, Ryanair did so on social media!

https://twitter.com/Ryanair/status/868784589199880193

The first link i find funny as it was one of the funniest movies ever, Airplane. The second, not so much!
Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue!

Last edited by Jimmie76; May 28, 2017 at 5:26 pm
Old May 28, 2017, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by binman
Heathrow airport must take some responsibility. They charge huge fees and they too clearly have no plan for mass disruption. [...] 3 hours to get people out of the terminal is simply unacceptable. And remember this is an airport and where if there were (God forbid) to be an accident Heathrow could close for some time. So where is the evidence of a plane for this. Yesterday suggests there isn't
HAL have a well established plan for assisting BA and passengers with disruption, but unfortunately they can only do so much when booking/rebooking/baggage information has to first be provided by BA.

The 3 hour exit from the terminal yesterday was due to UKBF having to clear everybody at the border.

There are regular exercises run to plan for emergency events such as an accident.
Old May 28, 2017, 4:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH DIAMOND, AVIS Presidents Club, Karahi Express
Originally Posted by Flyingandserving
You have hit the nail on the head rockflyertalk staff DO NOT feel valued at all. Over countless years of service I have dropped everything worked extended hours, gone to work on days off even cancelled leave days in order to help out in all kinds of disruption from 9/11, ash clouds, weather, strikes, and now the continued systems problems. This weekend instead I have enjoyed a weekend with my family and not felt even slightly inclined to rush into work to help out.
Now please do not get me wrong I do feel immensely sorry for all the customers impacted by this as well as colleagues rostered to work over the last few days however BA has shown no regard whatsoever to its staff so why should staff feel any loyalty for BA?
I am sadly watching a company I have gave 20+ years service to going down the drain.
In total agreement with you, I have family who have been with BA for as many years. They too are frustrated with this management ....

Alex Cruz .... your repatriation flight to Bilbao is in Last Call .... please proceed to Gate A18. Wait it may be A12... oh wait .... your flight is cancelled. Please exit the airport and wait kerbside where the lovely HAL reps will not let you enter the building as you do not have a confirmed flight.

You could try try calling the 0800 number ...and get no response. Enjoy your night sleeping kerbside .... oh by the way ... you may bump into a group of 21 elderly tourists from Dusseldorf camped kerbside as you cancelled the last flight out to DUS tonight.
Old May 28, 2017, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by Quarky Quark
Someone who appears to have knowledge of the BA systems posted this in the Daily Fail comments a couple of hours ago. A lot of industry 'experts' have come out to say power supply is an unlikely cause, so it will be interesting to see how this narrative evolves during the week.

---
Comrade Stalin, Siberia, 2 hours ago
Was working in Waterside (BA HQ) and we told BA management about the flaws in the TCS iFLY system. They wouldn't listen and this is what you get. As for the power outage that is absolute rubbish. Two data centres, BoHo and Cranebank, both have dual power feeds from two suppliers and then there are the diesel generators that automatically kick in too. The last major outage with iFLY couldn't be fixed by TCS after 7hrs. The small group of guys left in BoHo were told to sort it out and it only took them 30mins. TCS have no skills in this area at all, they're nice guys but there it ends. Experienced senior management like Sarah Endersby, Steve Harding etc etc all got rid of. IAG directors to blame inc BA CEO Alex Cruz.
---
I do hope that the report into and explanation of what actually happened on Saturday is made public. That will make very interesting reading.
Old May 28, 2017, 4:27 pm

Wink

Originally Posted by deboyzoned
In total agreement with you, I have family who have been with BA for as many years. They too are frustrated with this management ....

Alex Cruz .... your repatriation flight to Bilbao is in Last Call .... please proceed to Gate A18. Wait it may be A12... oh wait .... your flight is cancelled. Please exit the airport and wait kerbside where the lovely HAL reps will not let you enter the building as you do not have a confirmed flight.

You could try try calling the 0800 number ...and get no response. Enjoy your night sleeping kerbside .... oh by the way ... you may bump into a group of 21 elderly tourists from Dusseldorf camped kerbside as you cancelled the last flight out to DUS tonight.
LMAO that would be a tiny bit of justice. If only it could happen.
Old May 28, 2017, 4:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH DIAMOND, AVIS Presidents Club, Karahi Express
LMAO that would be a tiny bit of justice. If only it could happen.
So far .... tomorrow's 2 scheduled flights to Bilbao are showing on time. Maybe the call centre can prioritise rebooking him on 1 of those flights. Unfortunately there is no availability until Tuesday on BA App. Oh well ... 2 days sleeping on Kerbside .... he can get to meet his passengers in person 😊👍🕺🏽💃🏽
Old May 28, 2017, 4:38 pm

Programs: BAEC, LHM&M, and even a dusty KLFB!
Originally Posted by RoyalSwazi
What has surprised me the most is that a B2C mega brand household name has done such a shabby job in the PR department. [.....] At all three companies I worked we had an emergency response team which included a named list of participants. Drills were held several times a year, and part of the drill was to send out regular press releases and make a spokesperson available to external parties.
This is the bit I really don't understand. I almost expect incompetence on the IT front, but BA used to have a world class incident response system. Back when operations lived in the Compass Centre (that blue building to the North of LHR, halfway along the runway, for those that don't know), BA had a custom built room called OCIC to manage incidents like this. Every key department in the company had a desk there, with phones, computers (ha), paper lists of key contacts etc. So everyone did their own bit of communicating, feeding back information to the centre etc etc. Press Office and Comms were key players at the centre, and their mantra was always (learned the hard way from mishandled incidents at other airlines) that the CEO or Chairman had to get out and stand in front of the cameras as soon as possible.

The lack of announcements and misinformation given in the terminal suggests that when Ops was moved out of the Compass Centre, they either didn't bother replacing that emergency facility, or that they don't bother practicing to use it!

And clearly they've got rid of so many of the Comms Team that there is no institutional memory of what needs to be done any more. Either that, or Cruz ignores them the way he ignores his customers and the rest of his staff...
Old May 28, 2017, 4:47 pm

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
Originally Posted by deboyzoned

And if you are dehydrated remember we only accept cards not cash to purchase water. But only if you are in the first three rows of economy. Otherwise you won't get the chance to buy anything anyway.
Old May 28, 2017, 4:49 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Southlondonbonviveur
And if you are dehydrated remember we only accept cards not cash to purchase water. But only if you are in the first three rows of economy. Otherwise you won't get the chance to buy anything anyway.
You don't need money for water, it is free.
Old May 28, 2017, 4:49 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Southlondonbonviveur
Brutal!
Old May 28, 2017, 4:52 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Honours
As a BA staff member I feel not just disappointment but also shame that you feel this way.

As a person and a long serving BA employee I fully understand and am infuriated that BA has dropped to this appalling level of service.
As one of my colleagues said to me there is only so many times you can kick a dog before you lose their loyalty. I fear BA have kicked to many times to warrant loyalty from anyone.
Of I do feel your pain and I'd ask any BA customer facing employee to not take offenc. As an old boss of mine once crudely put it. 'You can only urinate with the...you've got'

I don't blame BA staff, for every awful bit of service there's been 10 great ones but more and more it seems hands are tied and although the willing is there, the resource is not. I've never been one to wave status about but it's felt increasingly over the past year that if I didn't, I would lose out. It does seem the staff are increasingly apathetic. No amount of miles makes up for how I was treated this weekend

There is no joy in flying with BA anymore or even dealing with them, it's become a loveless marriage and the divorce lawyers are in.
Old May 28, 2017, 4:56 pm

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by KARFA
You don't need money for water, it is free.
Complimentary*

*time permitting after the retail service has been completed.
Old May 28, 2017, 5:09 pm

IAG directors to blame inc BA CEO Alex Cruz.
Just to nitpick, Cruz is not an IAG director. They are all up for re-election at the IAG AGM on June 14th and 15th (why do the spaniards need two days for an AGM?) and he is not on the list.

Interestingly, the IAG web site makes no mention of the current BA problems.

Any IAG shareholders who happen to be in Madrid on June 15th might care to pop along to the AGM. I'm sure they could think of some questions to ask about the governance of IAG and its subsidiaries.
Old May 28, 2017, 5:16 pm

Programs: BA Gold / Hilton Diamond / IHG Diamond Ambassador / Marriot Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Genius1
HAL have a well established plan for assisting BA and passengers with disruption, but unfortunately they can only do so much when booking/rebooking/baggage information has to first be provided by BA.

The 3 hour exit from the terminal yesterday was due to UKBF having to clear everybody at the border.

There are regular exercises run to plan for emergency events such as an accident.
if they have a plan it doesn't work! Irrespective of the issues it should not take that long to deal with people who were departing passengers and security cleared. That UKBF felt it necessary to check passports shows they are not part of the planning and in any event, in such circumstances just how many illegal immigrants would there be airside getting reading to depart the U.K. Who take advantage of the situation.
To disrupt thousands like they did for the possibility of a couple of illegal immigrants is simply stupid and unacceptable.
BA caused the problem. Heathrow airport compounded it and both need to sort things out. For BA they need to lose the CEO and WW but Heathrow need to show that they can deal with people humanely ( cattle travel better in Europe) and efficiently and yes that might mean taking risks with immigration for those airside and in departures. While the exit via domestic gates, all arrivals could be routed via UKBF.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.