Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA Handling of laptop/tablet ban

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2018, 9:24 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Duncs
in IST lounge now for flight home. I was fully aware of cabin restrictions but have been caught out by the restriction on power banks in checked luggage. No explicit mention on BA only on .gov.uk. But both have the heading of hand luggage. Why would I be looking under that heading for hold luggage restrictions?
The gov.uk link has the dimensions: essentially the power bank needs to be smaller that the dimensions for the mobile telephone if it is to go in hand luggage. If it is too big it isn't supposed go in hold luggage and now that you are airside I suspect it if it is too big then it's going in the bin. See recent posts for the nuances around this, essentially you needed to think about this when landside.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 4:32 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
We have a ex-CAI to Hawaii next month. Since there is no imminent change in the stupid BA electronivs ban, we will be affected. While my computers might stay home or at LHR, I assume one can take phone chargers in hand luggage? Also I am guessing my camera will have to go in the hold luggage due to its dimensions?
Old Mar 29, 2018, 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by Dselvan
We have a ex-CAI to Hawaii next month. Since there is no imminent change in the stupid BA electronivs ban, we will be affected. While my computers might stay home or at LHR, I assume one can take phone chargers in hand luggage? Also I am guessing my camera will have to go in the hold luggage due to its dimensions?
I remain convinced that whoever came up with these regulations has gone on to something else and they’ve just forgotten about the ban altogether. Yes you can take a phone charger; not sure about the camera, but I suppose it’ll have to go in the hold.
Dselvan likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
Phone chargers are fine, and I believe cameras are fine too.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 10:31 pm

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
I do think BA need to be a lot clearer about the ban. Three people in the queue just now were not aware, and I can sympathise given the rather vague details BA send out. It was difficult for all concerned.
no2chem likes this.
Old May 7, 2018, 5:08 am

Went through Cairo yesterday where the ban is still in place. Cameras and Chargers were fine but spare batteries are not since you can't take them in your hand luggage because of the ban and you can't put them in your hold luggage due to fire safety!!!! So I didn't take any with me although the rules are not very clear on BA website or the DoT website.
There were extra check as you get to gate and things were still being confiscated from people's hand luggage.
We put our iPads well packed in suitcase and it has arrived safely!!!!
Old May 28, 2018, 1:12 am

Programs: AA EXP (owe), BA Silver (ows), AB Silver (owr), WN A+/CP, IHG Spire AMB, Avis First
Anyone have any issues with a Note 8? It's technically 162.5mm... so 2.5mm longer than the max 16cm...
Old May 28, 2018, 1:14 am

Programs: AA EXP (owe), BA Silver (ows), AB Silver (owr), WN A+/CP, IHG Spire AMB, Avis First
Also, does anyone know somewhere where I can buy luggage in CAI between 4am and 7am... My connections seem to be cutting it real lshort and I'm beginning to be real afraid that my bags will not arrive with me when I reach CAI.

​​​
Old May 28, 2018, 2:54 am

Originally Posted by no2chem
Also, does anyone know somewhere where I can buy luggage in CAI between 4am and 7am... My connections seem to be cutting it real lshort and I'm beginning to be real afraid that my bags will not arrive with me when I reach CAI.

​​​
There are no shops that we could see before check in at Terminal 2 and most of the shops were after check in and security. So if you need to buy stuff, it will be outside the airport and not sure if anything is going to be open at that time.
Old May 28, 2018, 11:17 pm

​​​​My note 8 went through fine in CAI. They didn't check it. They don't seem to care about phones, just power banks mainly.

I had a Xiaomi Power bank Pro which fits the size checker. They initially told me no but I told them it fits and they were surprised.
​​​​​
My bag made it fine to CAI, but I idiotically short checked it. Connection to SFO on BA 287, so 2 hour connection time... For some reason i thought 3..

I really hope my bag shows up by the check in deadline... Any idea what will happen to me if it doesn't? I have access to the First check in... I just hope the bags come out on time. Maybe I'll post a separate question about it.
​​​​​​
​​​​​
Old May 29, 2018, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have brought multiple Note 8 sized phones through, not a problem. I have two extremely thin power banks that fit within the dimensions that I have brought multiple times, generally they don;t say anything but have put them through the sizer once or twice.
Old May 29, 2018, 7:38 am

Originally Posted by hfly
I have brought multiple Note 8 sized phones through, not a problem. I have two extremely thin power banks that fit within the dimensions that I have brought multiple times, generally they don;t say anything but have put them through the sizer once or twice.
Yeah. They don't seem to care much for phones on your peeson, just what's in your bag.

I also successfully short checked a bag on a 2h connection, see:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1911585-short-check-short-transfer-advice.html

Not sure I would do that again though.
Old May 29, 2018, 9:00 am

2hr 15min connection. My bag was last off and I had regular fasttrack. Still had over 45 mins in the lounge.. Would easily do that again.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
As I posted in the Cairo-specific thread, restrictions have now been lifted on flights from CAI. Here's hoping the rest of affected places will follow (BEY/AMM/IST/DLM/RUH/JED).

From ba.com:
FLIGHTS FROM EGYPT From Wednesday 1 August 2018, the previous restrictions on electronic items which had been in place on British Airways flights from Egypt have been lifted and our normal hand baggage rules will now apply. Customers flying from Egypt will still experience a range of extra security checks at the boarding gate.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 2:38 am

Am I correct in my understanding that despite the UK Government's website stating that no laptops and larger electrical items are allowed to be carried on ex IST, BA are the only airline effected because they refuse to pay for additional screening?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.