Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA American Express 2-4-1 Voucher Discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA American Express 2-4-1 Voucher Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2019, 12:35 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, Etihad Gold, IHG Platinum, IC Ambasador, Marriott Gold, Taj Gold, Radisson Gold
Originally Posted by Palty
Hey everyone
Would anyone here know if you can use a 2-4-1 starting ex-EU (to avoid higher taxes)?
Is there such a thing?
This is what i'm planning
xxx-LON-GIG
Qatar from GIG to EZE fifth redemption
then EZE-LON
something like that any tips would be highly appreciated
TIA
There are no APD charges if you start from Inverness or Jersey
Old Mar 8, 2019, 12:38 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, Etihad Gold, IHG Platinum, IC Ambasador, Marriott Gold, Taj Gold, Radisson Gold
Originally Posted by Blueboys999
I would look to avoid the trap of letting the voucher determine where I will go. It's a bit like going into a shop and buying the item that has been reduced by the greatest amount rather than what is the most attractive. Like award availability - the reason it's there at reduced rates in quantity is that very few people want it.
It is a 2 for 1 voucher, so the best value comes from booking the fare that would cost the most to purchase. i.e. 1st class to a destination very far away. This is kinda the rule for any redemption
SavvyTravel likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 2:31 am

Originally Posted by fruitcage

yes I have recently booked using a 241 and a different Amex card as have many others. If you want to be ultra-cautious then you should keep and use the original card, but FT would be one of the first places to hear from anyone refused for using the wrong Amex card, and I have seen zero such cases so far.
Fruitcage,

Thanks!
fruitcage likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 3:18 am

Programs: GGL, BA lifetime Gold, Many Hotel Sparkles
Just wanted to check on the wiki / guide regarding using a 241 voucher for a member inside a house hold cccount when the companion is not in the household account.

BA hosted terms and conditions seem clear this is allowed and then in an older page say it is not ... which one is right ?

https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...redit-cards/uk
“20. Companions do not have to be people who are named within a British Airways Executive Club Household Account. Cardmembers can choose to take anyone as a Companion on their Companion Voucher booking.”

https://www.britishairways.com/trave...utm_source=PHG
20. Members can choose to take anyone as a Companion on their Companion Voucher booking except if the member is part of a Household Account. In such an instance, the companion must also belong to the Household Account.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 3:28 am

Programs: BA Blue, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
This is saying if YOU are in a household account, then your companion also needs to be in the same household account. If YOU are not in a household account, then your companion can be anyone.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 3:36 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
The Amex site also points to the more open interpretation, and the more closed version appears to be (out)dated June 09. So I think you'll be able to force through any companion.

However, more practically, I can tell you that online it will only allow you to select a companion from your HHA members plus your Friends and Family list. Therefore to save hassle, can you add the desired companion to your F&F list (which is a short-list of others, with limited numbers and changes allowed, for whom BA allows you to use your HHA avios and, de facto, your 241).
Old Mar 12, 2019, 6:19 am

Programs: BA Silver
Just as an update/for reference, for the second time I booked an outbound one way CW redemption to South America for 2, then booked the return (initially using full Avios) separately. I called BA Exec the day after the return booking and within 5 minutes they had linked the booking and refunded the Avios to my account. I asked the agent if many people did this and said no and that she often suggests this to customers who complain of the issues regarding redemptions. Obviously, you need to have sufficient balance to book at full whack and then reclaim but it does make it so much easier.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 7:01 am

Trying to find LHR-KUL return (or SIN) for a very specific week. Is it possible to book the return leg then add the outgoing (even as a OJ) at a later date? Sounds risky to me as I typed it up!
Old Mar 12, 2019, 7:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Muttley
Trying to find LHR-KUL return (or SIN) for a very specific week. Is it possible to book the return leg then add the outgoing (even as a OJ) at a later date?
I don't think that you can book KUL-LHR or SIN-LHR one-way as the first step, because AIUI travel must commence in the UK (assuming it's a UK voucher): it can be one-way from the UK or round-trip back to the UK, but one-way starting outside the UK is no good.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 7:32 am

Originally Posted by Muttley
Trying to find LHR-KUL return (or SIN) for a very specific week. Is it possible to book the return leg then add the outgoing (even as a OJ) at a later date? Sounds risky to me as I typed it up!
You could of course book a return with the desired inbound and an earlier place-holder/dummy outbound, hoping that you can correct its date before the dummy date comes around.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 1:56 am

Originally Posted by Bobbie2013
Just as an update/for reference, for the second time I booked an outbound one way CW redemption to South America for 2, then booked the return (initially using full Avios) separately. I called BA Exec the day after the return booking and within 5 minutes they had linked the booking and refunded the Avios to my account. I asked the agent if many people did this and said no and that she often suggests this to customers who complain of the issues regarding redemptions. Obviously, you need to have sufficient balance to book at full whack and then reclaim but it does make it so much easier.
I tried this method for the first time on Monday, and it really is the easiest method available. The hardest part was trying to explain my situation ("please could I have this second booking put under the treatment of the voucher") but the agent knew well what I was asking. Oddly I was only asked for the second, inbound booking ref: maybe she looked up my outbound (to a different destination) through my BAEC no, but it sort of felt like she was taking my word for it.

I noticed that she refunded the full 2x avios for the inbound and then recharged me the 1x avios. So a question for anyone who has tried, or maybe our BA lurkers:

If I didn't have enough avios to book the inbound with full 2x avios, could I book it with avios&money - then could the BA agent refund the avios&money and recharge the 1x avios? eg. SIN-LON is 210k for 2; could I book it for 105k+£1930, then have effectively the £1930 refunded (105k+£1930 ref'd, 105k "241" recharged)?

Also is it a policy, or luck-of-the-draw / not-possible, to get out-of-kilter YQ adjusted: if I book an inbound from the US with higher YQ, can it be adjusted down to the UK YQ? I think someone here or on HfP has reported success.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 2:47 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
I don’t see who you can have taxes/fees/charges recalculated as if it were a return booking. At the end of the day you don’t have a return booking, you have two separate one way bookings where the 2-4-1 voucher has been applied across both.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 3:37 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
I don’t see who you can have taxes/fees/charges recalculated as if it were a return booking. At the end of the day you don’t have a return booking, you have two separate one way bookings where the 2-4-1 voucher has been applied across both.
That's very much a secondary question. I think I read someone had done it, even though it seemed less plausible. Point of origin taxes I would agree with you on but YQ is ultimately within BA's control, though maybe not in an agent's hands.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 4:51 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by pauldb
That's very much a secondary question. I think I read someone had done it, even though it seemed less plausible. Point of origin taxes I would agree with you on but YQ is ultimately within BA's control, though maybe not in an agent's hands.
I respectfully disagree that it is a secondary point. I can't think of another situation where taxes/fees/charges can be calculated as if two one ways are a return. It would be great to hear from one of our resident BA agents, but I don't see there being a mechanism to do that.

Last edited by KARFA; Mar 13, 2019 at 4:58 am
Old Mar 13, 2019, 5:07 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
I respectfully disagree that it is a secondary point. I can't think of another situation where taxes/fees/charges can be calculated as if two one ways are a return. It would be great to hear from one of our resident BA agents, but I don't see there being a mechanism to do that.
I mean while I was asking about the avios&money option, I thought I'd ask about YQ also, without much hope that it's a free option. (In fact thinking about, maybe the example I'm recall was the inbound booking being combined into a return: harder to achieve but with a more obvious recalculation of YQ?)
KARFA likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.