Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA American Express 2-4-1 Voucher Discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA American Express 2-4-1 Voucher Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2019, 7:24 am

Programs: BA Blue, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by mikeday1983

I have a BA Prem Plus and a Rewards Gold card. I am looking to cycle between the two to maximize welcome bonus' and ensure I'm not paying 2 lots of annual fee.
I recently earned the companion voucher so called up Amex to cancel the BA card. The woman was threatening that I HAVE to book using the BA card and its not part of their T&C but BA's. I told her I had heard that this is not true and she said she'd heard that too but could not comment. I said, okay I'll use the voucher then cancel the card and she threatened that if I don't have the original payment card at the time of travel the ticket could be voided. This sounds like desperate attempts to stop me cancelling.
Is there any truth in what they say or any examples of the voucher/booking being cancelled as a result of the card being cancelled??
I had exactly this scare story from Amex a few months back. Firstly when trying to cancel after 2-4-1 was issued, and I bottled it and downgraded to the Blue card, rather than cancel completely. When I rang back to cancel after I had made a booking using the voucher I was told again that the voucher would be cancelled, and any bookings made with it would also be cancelled. At that point I rang BA who told me there is no way for Amex to claw back the voucher, nor cancel a booking made with it. I have since cancelled the card and the booking (with ticket number) remains.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 4:23 am

This is good to know as i've triggered the voucher within 2 months of getting the card. If i cancel soon, can i sign up again in 6 months for the welcome bonus and earn towards another voucher?
Old Mar 5, 2019, 5:24 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, UA Mileage Plus, Hotels.com Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Pizza Express Gold
I just cancelled my BAPP after earning a voucher. I used the online chat function as I normally do. The warning about losing the voucher has changed - it was "might need to use the BA card.... May be unable to use" rather than warning that it would disappear as they have done before
Old Mar 5, 2019, 5:28 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, UA Mileage Plus, Hotels.com Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Pizza Express Gold
Originally Posted by SirAlfonso
This is good to know as i've triggered the voucher within 2 months of getting the card. If i cancel soon, can i sign up again in 6 months for the welcome bonus and earn towards another voucher?
Yes. When you cancel they send a letter with the cancellation date. 6 months (plus a day to play safe) after the date you can get a new sign up bonus.

I think (but haven't tried) that you can get another voucher even if you don't wait 6 months, but you wouldn't get the sign up bonus
Old Mar 5, 2019, 10:36 am

Hey everyone
Would anyone here know if you can use a 2-4-1 starting ex-EU (to avoid higher taxes)?
Is there such a thing?
This is what i'm planning
xxx-LON-GIG
Qatar from GIG to EZE fifth redemption
then EZE-LON
something like that any tips would be highly appreciated
TIA
Old Mar 5, 2019, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Palty
Would anyone here know if you can use a 2-4-1 starting ex-EU (to avoid higher taxes)?
No, if it's a 2-4-1 of the kind that's discussed in this thread (ie UK Amex).
Old Mar 5, 2019, 10:40 am
dsf

Programs: Nowt of note.
Hey everyone
Is there such a thing?
Ex-EU is not possible, see the second bullet point in the wiki on this very thread:

Originally Posted by wiki
Valid towards return flights only, with the journey originating from and returning to your country of membership
That said, I presume you can lessen the taxes by starting in the low/non-APD UK airports such as JER or INV.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 10:43 am

Originally Posted by dsf
Ex-EU is not possible, see the second bullet point in the wiki on this very thread:

That said, I presume you can lessen the taxes by starting in the low/non-APD UK airports such as JER or INV.
yes thats what i meant lower APD airports Dublin wasn't a great example

to which city should i fly to in order to maximise my voucher
i know its a big question to ask as there are so many places but would like to hear some thoughts
Old Mar 5, 2019, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
I always think that a voucher's value is maximised when it helps to take me to a place that I need or want to go to, at a time that suits me.
Blueboys999 and argonath like this.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 11:25 am

Programs: BA Blue, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by Globaliser
I always think that a voucher's value is maximised when it helps to take me to a place that I need or want to go to, at a time that suits me.
You forgot to say "..and where there is redemption availability"
Old Mar 5, 2019, 1:09 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Mucci: Classe de la Luxe Eternelle
Slighty confused about booking return after booking outbound - does the extra tax problem only apply to the US?

Would a booking to Tel Aviv incur this for example? The dates are all within 355 so just waiting for correct availability. However if two singles will be more expensive will have to think again..

Edit: if the answer to extra tax is 'yes' - would booking other available seats for the return on a later day and hope to change to my chosen date, just incur the change fee?
Old Mar 5, 2019, 2:10 pm

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
Originally Posted by noFODplease
Slighty confused about booking return after booking outbound - does the extra tax problem only apply to the US?

Would a booking to Tel Aviv incur this for example? The dates are all within 355 so just waiting for correct availability. However if two singles will be more expensive will have to think again..

Edit: if the answer to extra tax is 'yes' - would booking other available seats for the return on a later day and hope to change to my chosen date, just incur the change fee?
The ex-LON YQ is £42 and ex-TLV is £30, so you’ll be saving £12pp booking it as two singles.
noFODplease likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by fruitcage
(1) although it is in the Ts and Cs (and will be confirmed by the phone agents), 241 bookings do not have to be made with the original card, just any Amex card. It is a waste of time arguing with the agents, and they are just doing their job and telling you what they believe to be true.

(2) If you want to be cautious and book first, then cancel the card fine - just keep the cancelled card to show at checkin in the unlikely case that it is required.
Fruitcage,

Regarding point (1): Do you have recent personal experience of using another Amex card or can you point me to somehwere where it is stated that any Amex card can be used? I wish to cancel my BAPP now but won't be using my voucher until 2020. I get conflicting answers from BA and Amex. As you say, it is in the Ts & Cs:-

"15 The Cardmember is responsible for paying any Taxes, Fees and Charges relating to their Companion Voucher booking. All Taxes, Fees and Charges must be paid for using the British Airways American Express Card."

I don't wish to downgrade either but would hate to try and book something in 12 months' time and be told that my non-BA Amex card is no good!

Thanks..
Old Mar 7, 2019, 4:31 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by cowleasow
Fruitcage,

Regarding point (1): Do you have recent personal experience of using another Amex card or can you point me to somehwere where it is stated that any Amex card can be used? I wish to cancel my BAPP now but won't be using my voucher until 2020. I get conflicting answers from BA and Amex. As you say, it is in the Ts & Cs:-

"15 The Cardmember is responsible for paying any Taxes, Fees and Charges relating to their Companion Voucher booking. All Taxes, Fees and Charges must be paid for using the British Airways American Express Card."

I don't wish to downgrade either but would hate to try and book something in 12 months' time and be told that my non-BA Amex card is no good!

Thanks..
yes I have recently booked using a 241 and a different Amex card as have many others. If you want to be ultra-cautious then you should keep and use the original card, but FT would be one of the first places to hear from anyone refused for using the wrong Amex card, and I have seen zero such cases so far.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 6:51 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
i know its a big question to ask as there are so many places but would like to hear some thoughts
I would look to avoid the trap of letting the voucher determine where I will go. It's a bit like going into a shop and buying the item that has been reduced by the greatest amount rather than what is the most attractive. Like award availability - the reason it's there at reduced rates in quantity is that very few people want it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.