Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA American Express 2-4-1 Voucher Discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA American Express 2-4-1 Voucher Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2019, 6:12 am

Programs: BAEC Silver/OW Sapphire
Help please!

Mrs WB1969 has been a bit too trigger happy with her Blue Amex and has earned a 2-4-1 a few months sooner than she planned to, as the voucher will expire before the departure date of an important trip in March 2020.

I told her to upgrade to Black, thinking that would give her an opportunity to earn another voucher, but this time with a 2 year lifespan.

Having done a bit of research, I think I have given her duff advice.

Any ideas as to how she could get a voucher to cover her planned trip? Dates are non-negotiable and referring me for an account is not an option as I won't be travelling on the trip.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 6:16 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by wb1969
Help please!

Mrs WB1969 has been a bit too trigger happy with her Blue Amex and has earned a 2-4-1 a few months sooner than she planned to, as the voucher will expire before the departure date of an important trip in March 2020.

I told her to upgrade to Black, thinking that would give her an opportunity to earn another voucher, but this time with a 2 year lifespan.

Any ideas as to how she could get a voucher to cover her planned trip? Dates are non-negotiable and referring me for an account is not an option as I won't be travelling on the trip.
I’m afraid there is no way around it. If she had upgraded before triggering the voucher, then it would’ve worked.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 6:21 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
Originally Posted by wb1969
Help please!

She can cancel the account and then reapply for either card, albeit there would be no referral bonus.

Or, who is she travelling with: if it's not an under 18 - that might give you an option.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 7:41 am

Also if triggering the voucher on the basic version, you would have been better springing for the premium version instead as the Avios etc. earned would have far outweighed the cost.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 2:58 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club
Apologies if this is answered elsewhere...

I'm looking to book using a companion voucher for 2 adults plus one infant. Presumably there is nothing to stop me from booking for the adults and then (once I have accrued the additional 10% Avios) adding the infant to the booking?
Old Jan 31, 2019, 3:40 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Nothing at all. Works perfectly fine - 2x experiences with an infant under 2 so far. But you'll also need to pay some taxes as well (also 10% i think)
Old Feb 4, 2019, 3:01 pm

Programs: BA VS
Hi folks, it is many years since I used a 2-4-1 and have read the Wiki and, after much careful perusal of the BA site, I was quoted (this evening) the following and I'm not sure this is correct:

LHR-JNB return.
Out in Biz, home in WT+.
Came out per pax as:
95,000 Avios + £523.32

I made it clear I was to use a 2-4-1 but, I think I have been quoted somethng else?
Thanks.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 3:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Paxing
LHR-JNB return.
Out in Biz, home in WT+.
Came out per pax as:
95,000 Avios + £523.32

I made it clear I was to use a 2-4-1 but, I think I have been quoted somethng else?
£523.32 TFC per person is correct (today). So you need to pay this twice.

95,000 Avios is also correct for CW off-peak one-way (62,500) plus WT+ off-peak one-way (32,500), per person. However, with a 2-4-1, you only pay one lot of Avios.

The total cost should, I think, be 95,000 Avios + £1,046.64 for the two of you. Not hard to work out what went wrong!
Old Feb 4, 2019, 3:36 pm

Many thanks Globaliser - my thoughts exactly! I rang as I was hoping for an open-jaws availabilty (although I knew at this notice unlikely) and was highly flexible on routing and dates but testing each combimnation of dates and routes online is extremely time consuming and the cost of the phone call was worth it for how quickly the agent could check. She was helpful but speaking very quietly and it was close to 20:00 so I made notes and asked here. Appreciated.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Paxing
I rang as I was hoping for an open-jaws availabilty (although I knew at this notice unlikely) and was highly flexible on routing and dates but testing each combimnation of dates and routes online is extremely time consuming ...
You may find it faster to search each direction as a one-way trip, because if you can find availability for a one-way trip, it can be part of an open-jaw itinerary.

You may also find www.baredemptionfinder.com a useful tool for a high-level indication (ie which days, with no indication of which flights on each day) of when there might be availability. Once you have that indication, you can then use ba.com in a more focused way to find out which flights might work.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 7:58 pm

FYI, baredemptionfinder.com has been relaunched as rewardflightfinder.com. The old link still works, but not sure how much longer.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 11:20 pm

MANY thanks to both of you. The VS option also useful.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 4:29 am

I have book my outbound flight EDI-LHR-KUL. If I book the return as soon as its available, this means my final connecting flight LHR-EDI won't be available as the KUL-LHR is overnight knocking it into the next day. Will I have to pay a change fee to add the final flight on to me journey?
Old Feb 7, 2019, 5:24 am

Programs: BA Blue, Marriott Plat Life, UA Silver (thx Marriott), IHG Gold, Accor Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Frequent flyer 101
I have book my outbound flight EDI-LHR-KUL. If I book the return as soon as its available, this means my final connecting flight LHR-EDI won't be available as the KUL-LHR is overnight knocking it into the next day. Will I have to pay a change fee to add the final flight on to me journey?

I had this for coming back from YYC. In summary the agent was excellent, booked the YYC to LHR leg, then the next day phoned me up to add on the LHR-MAN leg. No change fee iirc.

T
Old Feb 7, 2019, 5:38 am

Originally Posted by toothy
I had this for coming back from YYC. In summary the agent was excellent, booked the YYC to LHR leg, then the next day phoned me up to add on the LHR-MAN leg. No change fee iirc.

T
Perfect, thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.