Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 16, 2017, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
Club Europe Catering Guide 2017.

This thread outlines the new arrangements for Club Europe catering, introduced on Sunday 26 March 2017 and due to end on Tuesday 11 September 2018, based on 3 zones. A new Club Europe catering product is due to be launch on Wednesday 12 September 2018, and this is based on 4 bands. The main information piece - in terms of timings and the distance zones for the meals can be found in post 1. The following cross references the photos below against the matrix of options. In addition to the photos, some FTers have written extensively on their experiences so there is more to this thread than the pictures. Also note that there was an increase in food offered on some combinations shortly after the start-up, so the more recent photos may be the best place to start.The previous shorthaul catering guide, now locked but which had the previous 4 band system, is to be found here.

Numbers relate to the post number. Vegetarian means the alternative option provided as standard rather than the pre-ordered versions - which are VLML (Lacto-ovo), AVML (Asia) and VGML (Vegan) . There are differences between the offering in/out of LHR, LGW, LCY+STN. Last update: 833
-------------------------
Note posts before 1-832 are typically the April 2017 menu. 833 and above is from the menu for May 2017.
----
Chef's Chat sheets for:
CE LHR Summer 2017 - Rotation A
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28338151-post954.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28339641-post958.html

Short Band (UK, France, Ireland, BeNeLux, Germany)
Breakfast: 279, 570 (vegetarian), 629, 674, 821 (Express breakfast for MAN and LBA), 1343 (Vegan), 2285 (Express for LBA and MAN), 2445

Brunch: 180, 289, 469, 563, 685, 716, 2625 (AVML)

Lunch: 207, 545 (diabetic), 644 (first photo), 680 (VLML), 802, 928, 1322 (Kosher), 2284

Afternoon tea: 339, 404 (vegetarian), 480, 600 (VLML), 710 (including low lactose), 800, 882 (gluten free), 1281, 1322 (Kosher), 1673, 2679 (Kosher), 2792

Dinner: 563, 630 (VGML), 669 (Kosher Passover), 771 (VGML LCY) 799, 819 (AVML), 833 (May 2017 menu), 1283, 1287, 1674, 2446, 2616 (Kosher), 2793

Comments on difference between AVML and VLML here.
-----
Medium Band (e.g. Madrid, Nice, Prague, Copenhagen)
Breakfast: 645 (vegetarian), 724 (vegetarian), 1003

Brunch: 199 (VLML), 600 (VLML), 659 (Kosher Passover)

Lunch: 239 (child), 251, 425, 641, 733

Afternoon tea: 332 (also includes vegetarian), 426 (GFML), 813 (Muslim)

Dinner: 456, 551 (also includes VLML), 666, 1004,
-----
Long Band (e.g. Lisbon, Rome, Warsaw, Stockholm).

Breakfast: 195 (vegetarian)

Rest of the day: 306 (LFML), 345, 427, 443, 468, 597, 676, 687, 695, 783 (VLML)
======
NOT MAINTAINED AND OUT OF DATE: The complete Short Haul meal structure for the longer flights as of October 2017 is:

LHR
Meal 1: Chicken / red pepper risotto
Meal 2: Beef cheek
Meal 3: Chicken supreme / gnocchi
Meal 4: Miso glazed cod
Meal 5: Chicken khao soi
Meal 6: Hot smoked salmon linguine

LGW
Meal 1: Thyme roasted chicken
Meal 2: Spicy corn and paneer masala
Meal 3: Thai Penang chicken curry
Meal 4: Roasted red pepper tortellini
Meal 5: Beef and mushroom caserole
Meal 6: Tomato and four cheeses tortellini

Structured into:

Rotation A
LHR outbound
Meal 3
Meal 4
inbound to LHR
Meal 5
Meal 6

Rotation B
LHR outbound
Meal 5
Meal 6
inbound to LHR
Meal 1
Meal 2

Rotation C
LHR outbound
Meal 1
Meal 2
inbound to LHR
Meal 3
Meal 4
===
October 2017 = Rotation C
November 2017 = Rotation A
December 2017 = Rotation B
January 2018 = Rotation C
etc
Print Wikipost

Club Europe catering guide

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2017, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Genius1
I don't know why BA have bothered separating Short and Medium - they appear to get identical food. The only difference appears to be wine/champagne in full size bottles on Medium, plus a pre-meal bar service at lunch and dinner. They may as well just have cut the bar service and stuck with the smaller bottles and be done with it.

Dreadful.
indeed. As mentioned, to me, apart from short domestic (man, lba, jer) this is really just two bands: good and rubbish. Short vs medium is useless distinguo as is long medium vs long.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 3:27 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel
Original Poster

As I understand it, the main differentiating factor is the actual service times as this correlates into distinct service flows. These were then calculated into the bandings that we see.

So the service flow for Short destinations is divided into two actual service durations:
Under 22 minutes for LBA/MAN/JER
23 to 68 minutes for all other Short destinations

69 to 99 minutes for Medium destinations

Long is also divided into two groups:
100 to 115 minutes (ex LHR: ALC, ARN, BUD, FCO, IBZ, KRK, OLB, and WAW; ex LGW: ALC, CAG, FCO, IBZ, and NAP)
Over 116 minutes for all other Long destinations

This is under the bonnet stuff but it does explain the differences between my experience on HEL-LHR and PresRDC’s WAW-LHR today.

That said, i prefer orbitmic's explanation better
Old Mar 27, 2017, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The budget used to allow for a BA three prawn salad. Now it seems to have been improved to be a 1 prawn and a slither of chicken with a few decorative leaves.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 3:46 pm

Programs: BA Gold (and other non-status plastic)
Originally Posted by Prospero
As I understand it, the main differentiating factor is the actual service times as this correlates into distinct service flows. These were then calculated into the bandings that we see.

So the service flow for Short destinations is divided into two actual service durations:
Under 22 minutes for LBA/MAN/JER
23 to 68 minutes for all other Short destinations

69 to 99 minutes for Medium destinations
So why are GOA and TRN short (both business destinations, at least for me), and NCE and MRS medium? MRS and NCE are both much closer than GOA, and are both leisure routes

And the upgrade of a whole load of leisure routes from 3 to Long defies logic - IBZ, ALC and VLC? Your choice is BA or LCC, so surely you could serve paninis there. Why not keep hot dinners for when I'm coming back from MAD or LIN on business, paying *full whack* for the privilege, and where competitors give you something far more substantial... It's like they're positively encouraging me to fly with a competitor!
Old Mar 27, 2017, 3:56 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Virgin Red

BA799 HEL-LHR CE
14 pax. Catering wise, this one is categorised as a long flight. Previously Band 3.

Okay, we'll start with a couple of service blunders - no menus, no hot towels but what we do have are two enthusiastic crew members (SCCM plus CCM).

Orders for dinner were then taken: this evening its cod or chicken. It was stew n mash on the way out but that was with another airline.

The tray arrives. There is a melon and prawn starter. Its nicely presented. Tastes light and is refreshing the palette. We're off to a good start

Stilton, relish and oatcakes sit to the side, they're on standby till after the main is cleared. Same goes for the chocolate espresso bean dessert with cappuccino mouse honeycomb crunch

Photos will follow, once I get back to Barnes. I'm on the north runway presently.

Starter cleared, charger exposed, main lands. It's Cod alright with a wasabi mash plus a medley of beans, courgette, carrot baby corn slices. Actually it's pretty tasty.
I had an identical experience on the way back from LED today.

Some thoughts:

I was in row two. I think everyone in row 1 demolished their dessert without realising they had yet to receive their main. Granted, they had chosen and ordered a main but confusion will regularly arise when you present starter, dessert and cheese at the same time with the main delivered later.

Prawn starter: very good, some interesting flavours

"Chicken and vegetables" also comes with what I think is gnocchi

"Fish and mash" wasabi mash is tasty

I would like to see a menu with a decent description to help me choose.

Dessert was excellent. Cheese good, biscuits not my taste.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 4:06 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kt74
So why are GOA and TRN short (both business destinations, at least for me), and NCE and MRS medium? MRS and NCE are both much closer than GOA, and are both leisure routes

And the upgrade of a whole load of leisure routes from 3 to Long defies logic - IBZ, ALC and VLC? Your choice is BA or LCC, so surely you could serve paninis there. Why not keep hot dinners for when I'm coming back from MAD or LIN on business, paying *full whack* for the privilege, and where competitors give you something far more substantial... It's like they're positively encouraging me to fly with a competitor!
I don’t have an answer to this conundrum

I am willing to speculate however As you can see TRN is a significantly shorter route than GOA, MRS, or NCE. I’d wager there is a commercial imperative to work the crews a little harder on the MRS and NCE as these are probably higher yielding - NCE certainly will be. I suppose a parallel can be drawn with JER/MAN/LBA. JER gets a full breakfast despite the ridiculously short service time but justifiably so as the Charlie Hungerfords won’t put up with a bacon bap

LGW-TRN 547 mi
LGW-GOA 626 mi
LHR-NCE 647 mi
LHR-MRS 615 mi
Old Mar 27, 2017, 9:22 pm

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by kt74
MRS and NCE are both much closer than GOA, and are both leisure routes
Fully agree that GOA label as short sounds absurd. That said, not that it makes a difference, but on the above, NCE is not a leisure route. It counts as a mixed route for all European airlines: lots of premium leisure traffic of course but also one of the leading congress destinations in Europe and lots of company travel, headquarters, major technopolis, major centre for high tech, IT and pharmaceutical industries.

It incidentally is one of BA's top 10 European routes for business and first class traffic (of course, only CE on that route, but lots of J and F connecting tickets both to and from), which is why I think that BA's panini strategy could yet prove a costly one.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 9:28 pm

That said, i prefer orbitmic's explanation better
You ain't inspired by the outstandingly 'premium' look of those panini either?
Old Mar 28, 2017, 12:20 am

Programs: BA GGL, FB Platinum, Delta Nothing, HHonors Diamond, IAG Gold Ambassador, Ritz Silver, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by orbitmic
indeed. As mentioned, to me, apart from short domestic (man, lba, jer) this is really just two bands: good and rubbish. Short vs medium is useless distinguo as is long medium vs long.
I think we just need to accept BA for what it has become....a nice way to fly premium cabins at low cost with no expectations besides still generally lovely cabin crews and good drinks. I don't recall the last time I accepted a CE meal on any length of flight. The offerings at Boots and Starbucks that I can carry onboard are inevitably better quality, (and I even carry a bag of sandwiches/snacks on F flights now in case the food is too dire.) An airline has to fully commit for food to be good onboard or in lounges, (see AF, SQ, etc...,) otherwise it is a much of muchness.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 12:33 am

Originally Posted by FrenchMerican
I don't recall the last time I accepted a CE meal on any length of flight. The offerings at Boots and Starbucks that I can carry onboard are inevitably better quality
I disagree with you on that. To me, CE lunch and dinners have been invariably good for the past few years (brunch, tea, and even breakfasts are another matter). I also have no doubt that the lunch/dinner quality on the new long flights are still good too.

Incidentally, I also disagree with you on 'good drinks'. The quality of wine in CE in particular has been disastrous, and even spirits are bottom of the range and juices very poor. The wines are one thing that might slightly improve here.

In CW, wines are better and food is worse (except JFK flights).
Old Mar 28, 2017, 1:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

BA have shot themselves in the foot with BOB and they are desperately trying to add value to Club Europe by re-bundling with stuff that has a more difficult to discern value in the only way BA knows how: marketing clap trap and the usual style of all fur coat and no knickers. In addition, desperate to not lose premium traffic they have introduced domestic Club which to be fair the lack of domestic business class never seemed like a serious issue that came up here or with pax I spoke to.

Taking the short routes that the glorious panini is served I was entirely correct that you can purchase a more substantial sandwich whether that be a hot bacon roll or one of the cold sandwiches that has more meat than a BA deli plate. I do not call recall if the so-called millions upon millions of investment in Club Europe was a press release but if it was not then I am very tempted to pass this to the ASA to investigate how they came to this figure. I suggest that its calculated on standard life cycle costs like new crockery. As usual, no one was crying out for new plates (except maybe the thimble cups- existing only for BA's convenience) but a decent food offering. I hate afternoon tea (especially as part of the Galleries First budget cuts it now dominates the buffet), but unlike the liberals who can't bare free speech I have never advocated it being removed- but those of us who don't enjoy that premium treat the possibility of having something else like the BA three prawn salad that was again unfortunately taken away with the axing of the SFML.

It's no coincidence that the "premium" drinks in the Club cabin, such as Gordon's gin are cheaper than the Bombay for sale in ET because who would pay £6 for Gordons gin?

So BA: put a flower on a new plate, on a smaller tray, reduce the protein element (£££) and tell us that its your favourite word: PREMIUM.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 2:44 am

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.
Originally Posted by orbitmic
BA is really dividing Europe into two bands: good and rubbish. It's pretty much as simple as that.

Those who who had good and still have good don't care, those who had average and now have good are happy, those who had nothing and now have rubbish are happy too, but those who had average and now have rubbish are furious just like those who had minimal and now have rubbish
True. My joy at the improved service on the AGP route is tempered by seeing those crap sandwiches and salads posted upthread. The only areas seeing genuine improvement are flights over about 2h20 and domestics.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 3:05 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by FrenchMerican
I think we just need to accept BA for what it has become....a nice way to fly premium cabins at low cost with no expectations besides still generally lovely cabin crews and good drinks ......................

(my bold)

On the other hand, maybe we have no such need.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 3:40 am

Programs: Lowly Blue BA, Basic SAS, Ivory Flying Blue
Enhanced kids meal?

Sorry... replying to childs meal conversation few pages back...

Originally Posted by madfish
Certainly doesn't equate to the child's meals you would usually get. Suspect this was labelled/loaded in error - at least I hope so!

We travelled CDG-LHR yesterday afternoon, and the child's meal was the same Mozzarella/tomato plate, but being a shorter flight and afternoon tea time, the kids meal lacked the bread / mousse, and gained a slightly different (from the adult) mini-sponge cake.

Needless to say, I ate well on the flight while the little one just carried on with his sticker book (having told me "that's not real cheese").

Crew were surprised, and (proactively) gave me a feedback form which I filled in for feedback.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 4:59 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
RIP Rodda's ?

Incidentally, do we need to organise a wake for Rodda's, on BA shorthaul at least, and offer our condolences to those in the Cornish Clotted Cream mines affected by BA's cutbacks ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.